Trip to France

Not sure how to respond to that Tony 🙂🙂 but some of the aires we stayed on should be removed, the descriptions on the apps are way off as they are not up to date, this last week we have tried several and moved on, not to.mention hours of wasted time after seeing aire signs on the road and the aire just can't be easily found or is a just a carpark and should be removed or at least correctly reviewed when first put on.
You are absolutely correct in that a lot of the info on the various apps is out of date with more and more Aires closing or being taken over by CCP. I always check the reviews and only go to places that have recent reviews (generally within the last couple of months). I also double check info between the various apps. As for finding them I don’t rely on signs, I use the coordinates from the app and plug that into the satnav. I normally spend a good half hour or so at lunchtime doing research for that evenings stopover and always have a plan B and even a plan C!!
I didn’t intend my post to be a criticism at all as I’m sure each of us like to do things differently and have different preferences. My only feeling is that I like France so much that I get a bit downhearted when I sense that other folk are a bit disappointed with what they encounter.

I didn't take any of it as criticism Tony.

Possibly my take as a newbie will naturally be different but we really enjoyed most of it and will be back.

A few things irked me but that was the road layouts being outlandish sometimes and difficult to read, I got the odd beep, but itd be strange if I didn't.

You are absolutely correct in that a lot of the info on the various apps is out of date with more and more Aires closing or being taken over by CCP. I always check the reviews and only go to places that have recent reviews (generally within the last couple of months). I also double check info between the various apps. As for finding them I don’t rely on signs, I use the coordinates from the app and plug that into the satnav. I normally spend a good half hour or so at lunchtime doing research for that evenings stopover and always have a plan B and even a plan C!!
I didn’t intend my post to be a criticism at all as I’m sure each of us like to do things differently and have different preferences. My only feeling is that I like France so much that I get a bit downhearted when I sense that other folk are a bit disappointed with what they encounter.
Echo most of what you say , touring France just now and use the 2 most common (I think) apps .
Recent reviews are very important. Not been let down yet

Echo most of what you say , touring France just now and use the 2 most common (I think) apps .
Recent reviews are very important. Not been let down yet
What puzzles me is what type of person flags up a POI and posts it on an apo but fails to give a review at all, then you have to wonder were they the only ones to ever use it, if not why no one does a review good or bad, I give an honest review if and when the grey cell kicks inand I remember on any app I find somewhere on, and on WC I will also add new ones or give a bad review if it a pants stop or isn't as described, if we don't we get what we deserve.

The best advice I can give about driving in France is slow down completely for those awful and very frequent speed bumps in the villages!!
Not half Tony & not forgetting the blasted "level" crossings, how do they manage to build some top quality roads but screw those up so badly?

They have a road repair system we saw in either Ireland or Scotland they pulled in to a poi we stayed at, and i didnt realise what they were doing till theyd done and gone i did get a pic of the truck though it has a grey grit finish that whilst being highly visible is a perfectly level repair, the nearest I can describe it is, it's like a modern cycle repair patch it's all done by one truck too, I've been hoping to find one doing it so I could get in front and film it.

I'm easily pleased 🙃🙃🙃

What puzzles me is what type of person flags up a POI and posts it on an apo but fails to give a review at all, then you have to wonder were they the only ones to ever use it, if not why no one does a review good or bad, I give an honest review if and when the grey cell kicks inand I remember on any app I find somewhere on, and on WC I will also add new ones or give a bad review if it a pants stop or isn't as described, if we don't we get what we deserve.
Trying my best to review as often as possible. Purely for selfish reasons !
Never remember where I've been so I can find out from my own reviews.
Oh and thank the Lord for Google timeline !

Sat in the ferry queue.

Stayed at Wissant last night, not the nicest site bit looked good for one night, it wasn't, we had a german family of cyclists who were holding a door slamming contest for about an hour before they left, we ad a converted ambulance next to us, it had a very loud night heater cutting in and out all night, it was 19c in our cab, we seem to be parked next to some sort of menagerie or aviary as there were all sorts of noises including a decking cock at silly o clock, at 03.4 bloody 9 some tw@ arrives and starts shoiting direction to the poor woman driver of some crappy van.

The site itself wasn't too bad but very run down, and looks to be about become another pay as you enter type, all the cables and pipe work is there ar the entrance no way to get water or empty a cassette that we could see, only a grey drive over.

Screenshot_20240603-055557_Google Earth.jpg

Sat in the ferry queue.

Stayed at Wissant last night, not the nicest site bit looked good for one night, it wasn't, we had a german family of cyclists who were holding a door slamming contest for about an hour before they left, we ad a converted ambulance next to us, it had a very loud night heater cutting in and out all night, it was 19c in our cab, we seem to be parked next to some sort of menagerie or aviary as there were all sorts of noises including a decking cock at silly o clock, at 03.4 bloody 9 some tw@ arrives and starts shoiting direction to the poor woman driver of some crappy van.

The site itself wasn't too bad but very run down, and looks to be about become another pay as you enter type, all the cables and pipe work is there ar the entrance no way to get water or empty a cassette that we could see, only a grey drive over.

View attachment 131909

That Aire is a bit naff. Too late now but there is a nicer one on a field a mile round the corner that is hardly ever used but at least at the one you were on its a short walk to the sea front and village. Good frites stall.

I think you are allowed 90 litres of wine so you should be ok

We dont bother with the duty free shop, all we do is pay for the premium lounge, only 4 of us in there this trip, "free" food and drink makes it worth £18 each to not have school kids screaming all the time.

We dont bother with the duty free shop, all we do is pay for the premium lounge, only 4 of us in there this trip, "free" food and drink makes it worth £18 each to not have school kids screaming all the time.

You have to laugh. Goes all round France won't pay for an Aire, coughs up £36 for the premium lounge on the ferry on the way home. 🤣

Just under £13 for full English including tea yesterday on DFDS yesterday. Not too bad really, way more than a workers cafe, bit cheaper than a posh cafe.

Ferry £140, tunnel £260, so ferry and brekkie it was. :LOL:

It works out cheaper if you look at the cafe prices, you don't have to queue as they wait on you the seating is much more comfortable a d it is never crowded which is well worth the few quid.
Only pulling your leg Kev. I never eat on Ferries so can't comment on the food. The stuff I have seen in the past though looks a bit grim.

Back