Trip to France

Pudsey Bear

Well, I got my passport yesterday so it looks like we are going to France, starting at Dunkirk, Normandy landings, American cemetery etc, then who knows, we do like coast roads, but French villages are lovely too.

I have been before twice, once in 89 and again in 95 both times on Motorcycle so doing it on the wrong side of the road is a bit daunting in a RHD Motorhome, also the rules have changed a bit so I am out of touch now.

So we're planning on 5-6 weeks end of March or Mid April time to set off, but no idea really when is best but we are pretty clueless as to what we have to have with us,.

As we are so far 100% wild campers, I am unsure of the etiquette etc on airs and other places and will try not to use them so any and all tips are most welcome.

Take tea bags and gravy.

We aim to arrive at aires early afternoon, when last night's visitors have gone but there are usually plenty of spaces left.

You should pre-book somewhere for Easter and Ascension. We were there last year at Ascension weekend and all the aires were jam packed before 11.00 am. Don't rely on squeezing onto a little corner, the French were even parked on the grass verges at the side of the road. We eventually found a site, but it probably only had a space because it was in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around it.

Thanks, we won't book anywhere as we don't do sites, but good heads up on a the T bags n gravy :D :D , I have to have my mint T bags.

Back to topic :rolleyes:

Do I have to have one of those cyclist stickers too?

And will this be okay

1703238781238.png

I think I mentioned this before but If I were you Kev I would go a tad later than March. Maybe end of April, May. As for Aires well you really shouldn't avoid them. They are brilliant. Some better than others. Some free, some a few Euros. Wilding is of course possible and you will find spots and there are plenty of online resources for both but do a mixture. Cherbourg Peninsula beyond the WW2 stuff is worth exploring. I think it will be your kind of place. Quiet and plenty of wilding opportunities and some lovely beaches. If your into the coast though look no further than Brittany. I think Normandy and Brittany would be a great two locations for you to start your French adventures in. Weather however will be similar to southern UK so just bear that in mind for when you set off. Same applies in summer although it can be a couple of degrees warmer.

I have been before twice, once in 89 and again in 95 both times on Motorcycle so doing it on the wrong side of the road is a bit daunting in a RHD Motorhome, also the rules have changed a bit so I am out of touch now.

So we're planning on 5-6 weeks end of March or Mid April time to set off, but no idea really when is best but we are pretty clueless as to what we have to have with us,.
I think you will enjoy it once you get settled on French roads. I find driving on the right hand can be very straight forward and find it less challenging than driving on some of the narrower and much busier roads in the likes of the Lake District, or Devon / Cornwall etc. But some D roads in France can be narrow too so when on these and traffic is coming towards me I just slow right down and keep tight the verge. Also, Sat-Nav can steer you down some quite challenging D roads so getting a good up to date route planning map is a good idea and use it before setting off so you can re-plan to use the national route roads where possible.

Take your time and drive slower than you normally do for at first until you feel familiarised and ask your co-pilot to help give you regular reminders to drive on the right and help with road sings and exits etc. Oddly the thing I find more awkward is when I get back to the UK and approaching roundabouts, I probably have to think more about that having been used to going anti clockwise in France or Spain!

Good advice on the Easter period from Jo001 too, personally I'd go for the mid-April set off option to avoid it.

For France and most of EU, you can have a UK sticker if you have anything other than UK on your number plate.

Spain, Malta and Cyprus, you need a UK sticker even if you have UK identifier on number plate.

Don't forget a couple of hi viz jackets, and always good idea to have full set of spare bulbs, even if you don't know how to change them :p :ROFLMAO:

Back