Trip to France

The actual cemetery itself is extremely moving to see also. Well they all are. It's immaculate and a beautiful peaceful place. Right off the beach
We were in there crack of 9am, it's a hell of a place, but its changed since I was there last.

Here's your requested selfie.
20240601_103100.jpg

We left there about 12.30, went up to grandcamp maisy but didn't fancy that 2.5k walk.

We found another little museum 5€ that was brilliant, had a good lunch there €14 at their little cafe then went to Pegasus bridge got ripped off for the VERY worst coffee and Madeleine's there.

Chatted to some bikers from all over the world inc NZ and Alaska.

So we're meandering our way to Calais now stopping somewhere along the way for the night no rush so long as we're back for Friday.

We left there about 12.30, went up to grandcamp maisy but didn't fancy that 2.5k walk.

We found another little museum 5€ that was brilliant, had a good lunch there €14 at their little cafe then went to Pegasus bridge got ripped off for the VERY worst coffee and Madeleine's there.

Chatted to some bikers from all over the world inc NZ and Alaska.

So we're meandering our way to Calais now stopping somewhere along the way for the night no rush so long as we're back for Friday.
Yeah but did you go in the actual museum at the American cemetery? 😳

Lol! Photographer of the year!

What did you think of the museum?
Highly recommend mate, it was the one thing I was intending not to miss, sadly most of the outside was closed due to them setting it up for overpaid wankers to sit in comfort and eat expensive grub during the celebrations the scooter did well though but as ever it had cobbles and rough concrete to cope with.

We had to use a toll road tonight to save 30 minutes 0.5€, then we had to go back on as the aire was full, 7€, then tight bastds charge us 1.7€ to come off how do they get away with putting a toll on the off ramp, ancd the road was crap and contraflow too.

What is it with some people?

Yesterday everywhere is full to the rafters so a certain site suggested this place, it's a Hyper U, the car park is massive as usual, there was s large RV here when we arrived so we went to park on the same area but an official asked us to move to the far side as they were close today and were setting up for an event at 5am with barriers so we moved, the red pickup was already here, about 9PM he started playing loud music, at 10 PM it got louder so I went to ask him to turn it down no English so gestures were tried but he was just an ignorant fecker and did nothing, then about 12.30 the camper arrived, the carpark was still almost completely empty yet he parked next to us, he'd already parked in two other places, why would anyone do that?

Yesterday everywhere is full to the rafters so a certain site suggested this place, it's a Hyper U, the car park is massive as usual, there was s large RV here when we arrived so we went to park on the same area but an official asked us to move to the far side as they were close today and were setting up for an event at 5am with barriers so we moved, the red pickup was already here, about 9PM he started playing loud music, at 10 PM it got louder so I went to ask him to turn it down no English so gestures were tried but he was just an ignorant fecker and did nothing, then about 12.30 the camper arrived, the carpark was still almost completely empty yet he parked next to us, he'd already parked in two other places, why would anyone do that?
Don't know but definitely a French thing , has happened to us many times. Once in hight of summer one pulled up real close to us in empty parking then complained that he could hear our air con .
Told him to do one.

If you ever go back you really should make better use of the Aires system. As you travel around all day in the van the thing to do is pick the ones out in the sticks or in tiny little villages away from the likely places the hordes will gather. Camping car info's was always my go to site as they also had lots of hidden gem wild spots. It don't matter so much for you as you move on each day but research pays off imo. I've never stayed on a super or even hyper market car park! 😁. I have experienced the herding thing though. Most annoying. That's why my WiFi hot spot is named "Mad axe murderer" 😂

If you ever go back you really should make better use of the Aires system. As you travel around all day in the van the thing to do is pick the ones out in the sticks or in tiny little villages away from the likely places the hordes will gather. Camping car info's was always my go to site as they also had lots of hidden gem wild spots. It don't matter so much for you as you move on each day but research pays off imo. I've never stayed on a super or even hyper market car park! 😁. I have experienced the herding thing though. Most annoying. That's why my WiFi hot spot is named "Mad axe murderer" 😂

I fully echo these comments. Never stayed on an industrial estate or a supermarket car park in France and have never had an issue with finding somewhere decent to overnight. IMHO you are missing out on one of the great joys of motorhoming in France - the general welcome we get everywhere. However I’m sure you had a great time with lots of good memories.

I fully echo these comments. Never stayed on an industrial estate or a supermarket car park in France and have never had an issue with finding somewhere decent to overnight. IMHO you are missing out on one of the great joys of motorhoming in France - the general welcome we get everywhere. However I’m sure you had a great time with lots of good memories.
Not sure how to respond to that Tony 🙂🙂 but some of the aires we stayed on should be removed, the descriptions on the apps are way off as they are not up to date, this last week we have tried several and moved on, not to.mention hours of wasted time after seeing aire signs on the road and the aire just can't be easily found or is a just a carpark and should be removed or at least correctly reviewed when first put on.

Of course we've been doing quite high mileage each day compared to how other people might do as that is our holiday so didn't have the time to investigate AIRES then aim for the better ones or the money to pay for them, we drove around seeing the things we liked and usually only looked for a place to stay late afternoon when options are limited anyway, we dont use them during the day as many seem to do, the van has wheels and we make full use of them when away.

Last edited:
Back