Trip to France

Does anyone have a definitive order of the best route for the beaches and Also to take in the American cemetery and the Pegasus bridge too to keep the mileage down.

I did it and left the list at home.

If you are coming from the west,the order of beaches is Utah,Omaha,Gold,Juno and Sword. After Utah just follow the coast along eastwards. From memory the American Cemetry is just inland from Omaha, and Pegasus Bridge your last stop after Ouistreham.It's not a huge area , I cycled the length of it over 2 days.

If you are coming from the west,the order of beaches is Utah,Omaha,Gold,Juno and Sword. After Utah just follow the coast along eastwards. From memory the American Cemetry is just inland from Omaha, and Pegasus Bridge your last stop after Ouistreham.It's not a huge area , I cycled the length of it over 2 days.
Thanks Korky, I'll ignore the oaf.

We're in Penzé tonight.

No pic as it really persisting down, as it has almost every day since got here.

Thanks Korky, I'll ignore the oaf.

We're in Penzé tonight.

No pic as it really persisting down, as it has almost every day since got here.
We used to use Penze the night before a ferry from Roscoff but last time we were there it was a fairly sad place. I hope things have improved. We now use St Pol de Lion or St Thegonnec if we’re sailing from Roscoff.

And make sure to see the original Pegasus Bridge; the current one is a replacement in the same style, but the original is on land near to it (and is currently being repainted - featured on French TV lunchtime news today).

And make sure to see the original Pegasus Bridge; the current one is a replacement in the same style, but the original is on land near to it (and is currently being repainted - featured on French TV lunchtime news today).
Yes I spotted that on g earth looking for a place to stay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240528-201133_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240528-201133_Maps.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 11
I just tried to put in all the places we'd like to visit in Lower Normandy into Autoroute and it only accepted Utah, Omaha and Gold beaches, nothing else in the system, bloody Mericans.

Last edited:
I just tried to put in all the places we'd like to visit in Lower Normandy into Autoroute and it only accepted Utah, Omaha and Gold beaches, nothing else in the system, bloody Mericans.
Bear in mind that there could be significant disruption in the Calvados département on 30 May due to the Olympic Flame Relay.

Normandy best missed altogether for a month
Not at all. I would avoid areas hosting the Olympic Flame Relay (and that's one day per département) and avoid the D-Day commemoration restricted area on 06 June - although if you're already in the restricted area by 05 June and don't move before 07 June I don't believe that you should have any issues.

Back