Trip to France

Well that's Dover-Dunkerque and I can see Dover-Calais, but still no sign of Calais-Dunkerque. :confused::confused::confused:
(And I spell it Dunkerque because Dunkirk is inland in Kent.) https://maps.app.goo.gl/DW4ery1NiN8RX2777 :D
Oh, and it's also in Nottinghamshire. https://maps.app.goo.gl/b3DrRautFmQ88SJT7 :D:D
Oh, and did I tell you that it's also in Cheshire? https://maps.app.goo.gl/f9LxnQKEBY7tHQF58 :D:D:D

Did I ask about doing the insurance renewal while we're over there? it runs out 1st of June, van is having MOT this morning touch wood it passes okay, it's on Sorn so that to sort out before we go.

I ask as it occurred to me I might need a VPN, not something I would normally use at all, so is there a cheap temporary one that doesn't cost the earth or even free?

I use Tunnel bear as a free vpn. It does everything that I need
Yeah but we're using the ferry ;) ;)

Is that for phone or PC? I'll be tethering the PC to my phone hot spot (or find a free WiFi somewhere as it's much easier to do comparisons than on a phone.

Did I ask about doing the insurance renewal while we're over there? it runs out 1st of June, van is having MOT this morning touch wood it passes okay, it's on Sorn so that to sort out before we go.

I ask as it occurred to me I might need a VPN, not something I would normally use at all, so is there a cheap temporary one that doesn't cost the earth or even free?

Yeah I think you did Kev. Its no different to renewing it at home just dont leave it too late. Two to three weeks they reckon is the sweet spot. You wont need a VPN. As long as you can get online you should be fine. One thing to watch out for is if you need to call someone make sure you have the UK number as 0845 and 0800 etc wont work. Most companies have an alternative UK number and there is always the just say no to 0870 site.

Sorted, I like the way it unpacks, someone with a sense of fun wrote that bit.

Got it on PC and on the phone in minute or two.

I'll find a cafe or somewhere to get online if possible, not sure what allowance I have when roaming, but it'll renew after 4 weeks and I can do a short term upgrade anyway.

I'll find a cafe or somewhere to get online if possible, not sure what allowance I have when roaming, but it'll renew after 4 weeks and I can do a short term upgrade anyway.

Probably worth checking re your allowance as having internet in the van is invaluable. Some are restricted to like 25gb or even 12gb I think. There probably is but make sure there is a spend block on it so when you run out of data it doesn't start racking up charges. If your allowance is rubbish just keep to sites like this and googling about. No Youtube or streaming.

My normal allowance is 10gb and when away in Ireland I upped it to 40gb, which is more than enough, it is only searching and going onto sites, I leave YT til I get home again.

Out of curiosity and to have a bit of variety to watch on the tablets, how long do YT downloads last?

Actually I think you have to subscribe and I willn't.

Just trying a short video on YTD free version to see if I need to subscribe or if it carries ads with the download.

Last edited:
My normal allowance is 10gb and when away in Ireland I upped it to 40gb, which is more than enough, it is only searching and going onto sites, I leave YT til I get home again.

Out of curiosity and to have a bit of variety to watch on the tablets, how long do YT downloads last?

Actually I think you have to subscribe and I willn't.

Just trying a short video on YTD free version to see if I need to subscribe or if it carries ads with the download.

Do you mean YouTube? If you download them using the free apps then forever. Taking a load of downloads with you is a good idea.

Yes, the free YTD version is rubbish now, I used it years ago and it was quick and easy with conversion to any format, not it is slow, 90 minutes for a 12 minute video, so I'll have to cough up to use it, but I think a year is the minimum period, need to check that.

Yes, the free YTD version is rubbish now, I used it years ago and it was quick and easy with conversion to any format, not it is slow, 90 minutes for a 12 minute video, so I'll have to cough up to use it, but I think a year is the minimum period, need to check that.

Have you tried this one Kev. Seems to work ok

I gave it a decent sized video 45 minutes but it doesn't seem to give me a destination folder to try the file out.

I gave it a decent sized video 45 minutes but it doesn't seem to give me a destination folder to try the file out.

Depending on your browser it just downloads to your downloads folder. You should find it in there. Use it all the time.

You can get a cheap one with brave, told you to get it set up, to much wool in your ears. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back