Trip to France

<snip>

The insurance will be in the form of a PDF, so I should be able to get it printed off somewhere I would think.

<snip>
A fulltimer of my acquaintance says that an internet café (do a Google search - other search engines are available) is a good possibility. He has also used a library at the suggestion of a tourist information office..

A fulltimer of my acquaintance says that an internet café (do a Google search - other search engines are available) is a good possibility. He has also used a library at the suggestion of a tourist information office..
Super U Hypermarket onsite restaurant/cafés often offer 1/2 or 1 hour internet for the price of coffee. Long enough to sort out the insurance, check the Forum etc, despite the fairly pedestrian connection speed

Steve

Actually has money been mentioned? Not been for a while but the Halifax Clarity credit card was always the best one to use from memory rather than cash or taking money out of the hole in the wall. Not sure what the best is now. It used to be interest free if you paid it off each month and the best exchange rate. Last time I was in France I hardly ever spent any cash apart from Markets etc.
I have Halifax clarity which is still good But also now got Barclaycard rewards credit card free to use no exchange rate charge and can even get money from ATM with no charge or interest if cleared at the end of month bill

Or enquire at tourist information where to get documents printed...

Super U Hypermarket onsite restaurant/cafés often offer 1/2 or 1 hour internet for the price of coffee. Long enough to sort out the insurance, check the Forum etc, despite the fairly pedestrian connection speed

Steve
Do they have printing facilities (which was the question)?

I use the FuelFlash app on Android. But you can only download it from the Play Store outside the UK. (Another B****t bonus. )

What the video doesn't show is how to pay at pump for LPG if the station is unattended. Supermarket LPG pumps tend to have the payment terminal on an adjacent diesel/petrol pump and you have to select your (LPG) pump number or fuel type.

https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ is very useful for finding filling stations and prices for all fuels, but particularly for LPG, which is generally readily available, but nothing like as common as that YouTuber suggested. In some rural areas (and particularly mountainous ones) you might have to drive a considerable distance to find LPG. That government website is more reliable than apps such as FillLPG or myLPG.eu as the government tends to know where the filling stations are and the filling stations are legally required to send regular reports of the prices they are charging.
I finally got around to looking at this Tom

It seems to be totally in French, not very tourist friendly if it is.

I just opened it on my phone (android) and saved it to my home screen, then opened it and as I have Google translate installed it gives me the translate option so it might prove useful after all.

Weird, I just opened it again on the pc and it's all in English now

Not sure if it is because I'm in the UK but I get this message:-

1709104914671.png

I found a French fuel app that seems to be almost as good as the above site.

Not sussed how to make it do Hinglish yet.

1709120863498.jpeg

1709120811521.png

It may be that the prix-carburants.gouv.fr site doesn't like Google Translate for some reason. That proxy IP address is in New York.
I have no experience with that as I view French websites in French.

I found a French fuel app that seems to be almost as good as the above site.

Not sussed how to make it do Hinglish yet.

View attachment 128725

View attachment 128724
Kev, as a basic approach, head for the nearest town and keep your eyes peeled for Leclerc, Suoer U/Hyper U, Carrefour, Intermarché in approximate order of price for diesel. Ignore the '[Name of supermarket] 5 minutes' signs unless your Van is capable of Mach 1.3 and you don't mind the speeding fines. Then dig out the credit card and select 'English' for the choice of language and away you go. Word of warning; don't use the HGV Diesel Pumps, some of them reserve €1,000 on your Credit Card and that can eat your credit card limit very quickly!

Mylpg.eu for gas refills, but be aware that the lpg pump is on one side only, and the Card Payment is on the opposite side and likely to be occupied by a 90 year old putting 5 litres of diesel in his 40 year old vehicle, and you will have to wait ... Hours of fun, especially if the trigger doesn't connect and you have to drive round again, as I well know!

Steve

Steve

I don't expect to go for PLG more than once a week so it's a none issue, I will be using my laser temp gauge to see how we're doing, hopefully it'll work.

I don't expect to go for PLG more than once a week so it's a none issue, I will be using my laser temp gauge to see how we're doing, hopefully it'll work.
Just bear in mind that some (but not all) LPG pumps are only operational during manned hours, so best not to try getting LPG on Sunday afternoon.

We reckon we will be going to do 80-100 miles per day, depending on how we feel, there will be a couple of duvet days mixed in as Liz likes to laze about on a morning and I like to be on the road by 9am, sooner but food priveledges would be withdrawn.

We reckon we will be going to do 80-100 miles per day, depending on how we feel, there will be a couple of duvet days mixed in as Liz likes to laze about on a morning and I like to be on the road by 9am, sooner but food privileges would be withdrawn.
Sounds like a lot of driving! I sometimes drive that distance or more in a day, but often spend several days driving less than 20-30 km/day in order to visit places.
But each to their own...!

I used to drive for a living Tom and loved every day, it's my holiday, liz likes to see round the next bend so she's okay with it, if you think about it 100 Miles at 30mph is only just over 3 hours, but we do stop a lot get out and see and do things and if we dawdle about we're not going to see much of France, we're likely not going to go again as I'm unlikely to be up to it soon enough but never say never if we get a lot out of it.

Liz has just thrown me a curve ball and I'm lost as to know what to do TBH.

Harwich to the Hook of Holland, is that even viable? what extra stuff do I need to do, cost is not much more and I get two extra countries thrown in.

HELP!!!

Liz has just thrown me a curve ball and I'm lost as to know what to do TBH.

Harwich to the Hook of Holland, is that even viable? what extra stuff do I need to do, cost is not much more and I get two extra countries thrown in.

HELP!!!

Much longer crossing at 6hrs 30. Being on the ferry is pish boring and unless you specifically want to go to Holland and Belgium I certainly wouldnt bother. Holland I gather is very flat and they are not big on wild camping (Ive only ever been to Amsterdam). I have been to Belgium a few times though and there are a few interesting places but for me its a case of see if your passing. France however is Europes Playground. Dont mess about, just head for the best bits (France).

Can't think of anything extra you have to do.
Guess it boils down to if Harwich is better to get to than Dover/Folkstone, and if you want to do Netherlands.
Half of Belgium is just as easy to get to from calais.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back