Trip to France

I think that about covers it really, thanks Barry & Mark Idea abandoned it was just a thought back to normal France trip, we may do Calais to Dunkirk though.

If I were you I would get a wiggle on to the best bits. France is massive and it has lots of best bits :D Then again the amount of miles you do with the tendency to move on each day you will cover a lot of ground. I think you will like the wild and remote mountains the best given how much you like Scotland. Pyrenees and / or the Alps dear boy! Pyrenees will likely be warmer than the Alps I think that time of year, certainly at night.

Ferry booked for us 16th April Puddles, we are going to try and finish the Brittany tour that we had to abandon last year when Sue became ill. I promise the I'll try to avoid you :cool:
Nah!! you don't need to avoid us, we avoid everyone :D :D I at least know what you look like :D :D a bit like that drink bloke who burps when playing the piano, Victor Borge.

I like Belgium, plenty to see, Ypres, Hill 62, Waterloo, Brugge, Ardennes etc.

Anyway, you got 5/6 weeks, that's more than enough for Central Europe and a week or so in Morocco. :)

Never been cold in this van, heating on for an hour then on low and it's fine.

Of course but the further south you go the more chance you might have of sitting outside on an evening. Depends how high up you are of course. Our fire packed up one summer in the Alps and even in August it was cold early morning at altitude. Less so in the Pyrenees Ive found. I can remember going to the Dordogne in April once and whilst it got to a half decent temperature during the day up to low 20s I can remember waking up to icy puddles once or twice. Less influence from the Gulf stream which makes the UK less extreme I believe in its temperature fluctuations.

Definitely worth trying Bgium beer and steak. Ypres and the menin gate ceremony usually a highlight of ours when passing. Ghent also worth a visit but as said above easy from both ports.

Kev, I know you have CoPilot. If you zoom out in it you will see the motorways highlighted. The payable ones (purple) are the most of them, the free ones (yellow) are coloured differently.
IMG_9691.png

One thing I will miss from the Fiat is the pull-up tablet holder I kept the iPad in with copilot running alongside my Garmin. No room on the Merc.

A = autoroute (motorway)

Unless you’re desperately rushing to go somewhere I’d stay away from Autoroutes as there is generally an equally less used road alongside it going through the villages.

Barry said something about there being lots of roundabouts which I hate with a vengeance and being RHD I'd have to rely on Liz.

Barry said something about there being lots of roundabouts which I hate with a vengeance and being RHD I'd have to rely on Liz.

Yep, tons and speed bumps but they tend to be around the towns and bypasses. PIA. If I was doing a run of 100-150 or more miles I would check out the difference in time between toll and none toll. As Simon says there isnt always that much difference but sometimes there is. Getting around Rouen was always an absolute nightmare as I think was getting up from Normandy in general up towards Calais without doing Tolls. Might have changed.

New dvla rules for old farts in april, you may not be going as far as you think.
dvla.jpg
dvla 1.jpg
dvla 2.jpg
dvla 3.jpg
dvla retest.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back