Trip to France

I'm not bothered about using an Aire if we're not crowded in or if we're stuck finding a spot for the night, as for security, it applies at home too, It's just something I have never done, but we've had a few cars nicked at the bottom of the street so scrotes are wandering around. I park it were it is quite difficult to back out if you don't know how to maneuver.

I could be wrong but I dont recall a single report of a British Motorhome ever getting nicked in France or anywhere in Europe for that matter. The odd break in but even those are thin on the ground. Dont worry about it, just go and have a good time and dont forget to shout at foreigners and wave your arms a lot. They like that.

I'm not bothered about using an Aire if we're not crowded in or if we're stuck finding a spot for the night, as for security, it applies at home too, It's just something I have never done, but we've had a few cars nicked at the bottom of the street so scrotes are wandering around. I park it were it is quite difficult to back out if you don't know how to maneuver.
Disklok could be a good idea. Some French motorhomers link the cab door handles to prevent them being opened. Difficult to comment further without knowing what security you already have. Obviously, leave nothing that looks valuable on display and if you have an alarm system, use it. When I visited Paris last autumn, I stayed on a campsite for added security, but normally use aires/wilding spots. Even in cities, I have seldom been concerned about security (unlike in the UK) but some French motorhomers express concerns. There's a discussion about security on the CCI forum at the moment and some appear most concerned about gassing and defending themselves in the event of intrusion while they're asleep. Some recommendations for hornet killing spray (which apparently has quite a long range); don't think that I'll be taking up that idea.

I could be wrong but I dont recall a single report of a British Motorhome ever getting nicked in France or anywhere in Europe for that matter. The odd break in but even those are thin on the ground. Dont worry about it, just go and have a good time and dont forget to shout at foreigners and wave your arms a lot. They like that.
It's not something I'm worried about, but it does no harm to think about security.

Disklok could be a good idea. Some French motorhomers link the cab door handles to prevent them being opened. Difficult to comment further without knowing what security you already have. Obviously, leave nothing that looks valuable on display and if you have an alarm system, use it. When I visited Paris last autumn, I stayed on a campsite for added security, but normally use aires/wilding spots. Even in cities, I have seldom been concerned about security (unlike in the UK) but some French motorhomers express concerns. There's a discussion about security on the CCI forum at the moment and some appear most concerned about gassing and defending themselves in the event of intrusion while they're asleep. Some recommendations for hornet killing spray (which apparently has quite a long range); don't think that I'll be taking up that idea.
Ah, you varmint, you've sussed me out, it's getting gassed that has me worried.

I never leave anything on show but Liz is terrible, I used to play hell with her when we'd pull into a car park, she'd get her purse out rummage around for five minutes then put it in the glove box, she always leaves her phone on the dash (dumb as a box of frogs that wummon) she isn't the least bit street smart, doesn't occur to her that cars get broken into when they're parked and that we're about to park up and put a nice note on the screen so the scrotes know how long we're going to be gone for :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if I do say anything I get the look.

Ah, you varmint, you've sussed me out, it's getting gassed that has me worried.

I never leave anything on show but Liz is terrible, I used to play hell with her when we'd pull into a car park, she'd get her purse out rummage around for five minutes then put it in the glove box, she always leaves her phone on the dash (dumb as a box of frogs that wummon) she isn't the least bit street smart, doesn't occur to her that cars get broken into when they're parked and that we're about to park up and put a nice note on the screen so the scrotes know how long we're going to be gone for :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if I do say anything I get the look.
Only time I've been gassed was indeed in France (when France won the World Cup at home) - and that was due to fracturing of the gas pipe at the back of the cooker on the yacht and crew who didn't react quickly enough when they smelt gas after it was turned on. Gassing of motorhomers is probably just a myth.

I've never bothered with van security, but with us going to be so far from home, I am now, what might be the best visible deterrent, I'm thinking along the lines of the steering wheel disc type of thing rather than the bar type.

I did think of the pedal box types but they're already in before that works.

Any opinions.
Beware of the dog stickers in the windows.

Very cheap, very effective. Bear in mind the very widespread use of dogs as deterrents against house intruders in Europe, stickers in the windows are highly relatable.

Re toilets in France, the site posted the other day https://www.toilettespubliques.com/toilettes-a-proximite has an app too.

Unfortunately it is in French and I'm not sure what phrase they use for disabled in the app and it has ads too.

you can pee anywhere in France Kev. In fact its a national sport. Even the ladies take part sometimes. The more public the more points you get I think.

Re toilets in France, the site posted the other day https://www.toilettespubliques.com/toilettes-a-proximite has an app too.

Unfortunately it is in French and I'm not sure what phrase they use for disabled in the app and it has ads too.
I downloaded that app. Like the website IIRC there is a wheelchair icon top right; pressing on that changes the icon to a standing figure (to enable change back from disabled) and also changes the display to show only toilets that have been advised as being suitable for the disabled. Notes indicate that other toilets may be accessible but if that information has not been provided they are not displayed in the disabled subset.

We were just talking about maps, and I used to buy the concertina/accordion style ones when I was driving as they were just the best for route planning, dead easy to open/fold, never managed to tear one, not keen on atlases or the big fold up sheet types but I can't find any online, have they stopped making them now?

I can recommend the 726 route planner Kev, great for 'er keeping an eye on your route, its a concertinery type one...

9782067262775.jpg

Pete

Thanks Pete, how you doing these days?

Do you have a picture of the actual map, the online pic is useless.

Thanks Pete, how you doing these days?

Do you have a picture of the actual map, the online pic is useless.
Kev, have you tried Googling Michelin 726?

It gives many its, including https://www.themapcentre.com/michelin-route-planning-726-france-2024-6955-p.asp
This has thumbnails of map images; for some reason, they don't display on the same page for me, but by right-clicking I can get them to open in a new tab. Does this help? And https://www.amazon.co.uk/France-Rou...ICHELIN National Map,a complete name index as will give you an image of the entire map; you can click and zoom in up to a point.

Ah yes cheers Pete, I have a similar map, but it's not what I was looking for that's just a fold up normal type, I'm okay for France now anyway.

I was looking for a UK concertina style map, I'll see if I can make one to describe what I mean.

Rough I know but the map folded looks like below, as you can see 4 pages are visible (the real one has about 8 I recall and down the visible bits sticking out is a list of what is on the page once opened.

The one pic below is about the size half A4 folded vertically, we saw one for Ireland in a WH Smith in Scotland but typically they don't list it on their web site.

1711300789711.png

1711300830176.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back