Second Thetford casette - is it worth it?

We just stop at cafes or filling stations and use their loos, only the odd tinkle goes in our van, very rare a no 2.

I carry three cassettes. We rarely need the third but good insurance. We use the toilet just like the one at home except for the length of flush. A cassette lasts just over a day and I use a purpose made trolley for emptying, well they are jolly heavy and it is sometimes good to hide what is in there. I only use bio washing powder in cassette so OK to dump in toilet. Rarely smelly and I have nose like bloodhound. Emptying is not so good though but soo much better than SOG.
We carry three cassettes as well. To be honest, the third one hardly ever gets used.

But then again the spare wheel takes a lot more room and has never ever been used in teens of years.

We use bio laundry tabs and a cassette generally lasts about nine or ten person days (5 days for two of us), longer if we're able to use toilets nearby.

The reason for three cassettes is simple: it allows the toilet to last as long between service stops as the water tank does (two weeks)

I can't imagine having to empty the toilet every day. Why on earth do you flush so much?

We flush every time we use the toilet and usually it is just a one second press of the button. Can't reasonably do less and still maintain hygiene. My wife won't entertain less and will not use public toilets though I do so when convenient. My water tank lasts rather less time than yours, geek, we both shower daily, however, we carry spare bottles, 15L collapsible ones, and I have a pump to transfer to the tank as needed.

Well we hardly drink any alcohol, so that would have the reverse effect, Mainly tea, ASDA isotonic orange drink and Lucozade and normal smallish meals, cereals for breakfast, ready meals and takeaways mostly, occasional sandwich for lunch, nothing special. I always wonder how you long lasting cassettes do it. I do avoid sniffing hedges and bushes on foreign Aires, never know what nasties one might encounter and we must be very dirty to need all that washing Trev. We are both very hygiene conscious.

We carry a spare cassette and would not be without it. The dreaded red light of doom always comes on at the most inconvenient time so a quick swap in to outside locker and empty later. We also use a spray bottle instead of flushing and bio tabs.

We carry a spare cassette and would not be without it. The dreaded red light of doom always comes on at the most inconvenient time so a quick swap in to outside locker and empty later. We also use a spray bottle instead of flushing and bio tabs.
I have heard rumours of there being a Red Light of Doom that comes on when the cassette is full, but I've never seen it! Sometimes I think I need to fill up the loo just to check it works!!

You see thats why you need an old van from the last century like mine. No fancy gadgets telling you when stuff is full or empty. Well there is a needle for the fresh tank but its rubbish and I think the Thetford has some kind of mechanical gauge on it thats supposed to turn to red when its nearing full but I never look at it. I just look down the hole and if its full its full! :ROFLMAO: Actually thats not always true either. Sometimes a good shake from outside gives you another day :D

You see thats why you need an old van from the last century like mine. No fancy gadgets telling you when stuff is full or empty. Well there is a needle for the fresh tank but its rubbish and I think the Thetford has some kind of mechanical gauge on it thats supposed to turn to red when its nearing full but I never look at it. I just look down the hole and if its full its full! :ROFLMAO: Actually thats not always true either. Sometimes a good shake from outside gives you another day :D
A good shake from outside is always handy :)

I tend to open the flap once a day just to check as Liz can pee for England I'm sure we use more gas for the kettle than anything else.

Another vote here for a second cassette. Carry it all the time, saves having to worry about if it’s time to empty.
Bought it second hand for £40 and never looked back. Generally speaking, we can fill a cassette in about three days so having a spare means up to six days before it’s time to panic, although in reality, I try to empty every couple of days or so, so much lighter! Placing the spare cassette in situ, while I go to empty means that the loo can always be used if I get talking to anybody, and when I do finally get back, that cassette then becomes the spare. A healthy dollop of Formil from Lidl keeps them both smelling sweet and it’s cheap enough to throw away daily if necessary.

Well we hardly drink any alcohol, so that would have the reverse effect, Mainly tea, ASDA isotonic orange drink and Lucozade and normal smallish meals, cereals for breakfast, ready meals and takeaways mostly, occasional sandwich for lunch, nothing special. I always wonder how you long lasting cassettes do it. I do avoid sniffing hedges and bushes on foreign Aires, never know what nasties one might encounter and we must be very dirty to need all that washing Trev. We are both very hygiene conscious.
Do you know there is more goodness in eating the box cereal comes in, Lucozade is full of sugars, and milky porridge is best.

Another reason we have for carrying a second cassette is the fact that we have a bidet in our Thetford bowl, so we probably use slightly more water than the average. Cuts down on toilet paper though.

Another reason we have for carrying a second cassette is the fact that we have a bidet in our Thetford bowl, so we probably use slightly more water than the average. Cuts down on toilet paper though.
That could go down the sink we use a bowl when forced to wash in the van, Full wash that is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back