Second Thetford casette - is it worth it?

Moped

I'm thinking of purchasing a second loo casette to take the stress out of loo use when the light comes on.

But Mrs Moped keeps reminding me that Spain and France have plenty of service points so is it necessary?

We normally park up in permitted spots anyway but they don't always have service points.

We do have payload and storage available.

My thinking is we can be more flexible when parking up and maybe stop for longer periods in spots not serviced.

A trip to Ireland in 2019 was an absolute knightmare for casette management but we managed it by using green bio fluid.

Be interesting to get the feedback from those who are double casetters.

i have carried a second cassette for 5 years without using it but as you say i have the spare storage space so not a problem , i’m not a cleanliness freak but when we bought this van i bought a refresher kit cassette seat etc about £110 put the new one in left the old one in soak for a bit jetwashed & double bagged sealed up, i use a wee bottle when we’re out and can normally last 5 days between the need to find services the spare would allow me 10 days as i say never been needed but options there

I'm thinking of purchasing a second loo casette to take the stress out of loo use when the light comes on.

But Mrs Moped keeps reminding me that Spain and France have plenty of service points so is it necessary?

We normally park up in permitted spots anyway but they don't always have service points.

We do have payload and storage available.

My thinking is we can be more flexible when parking up and maybe stop for longer periods in spots not serviced.

A trip to Ireland in 2019 was an absolute knightmare for casette management but we managed it by using green bio fluid.

Be interesting to get the feedback from those who are double casetters.
I would say if you have room to carry a 2nd cassette and you make specific journeys, or at least trips you wouldn't have otherwise gone on, to empty the cassette, get a spare one.

i have carried a second cassette for 5 years without using it but as you say i have the spare storage space so not a problem , i’m not a cleanliness freak but when we bought this van i bought a refresher kit cassette seat etc about £110 put the new one in left the old one in soak for a bit jetwashed & double bagged sealed up, i use a wee bottle when we’re out and can normally last 5 days between the need to find services the spare would allow me 10 days as i say never been needed but options there
Same here. I carry a 2nd cassette but really only because I have a 2nd cassette as part of the 'Freshen up' kit bought after buying the new-to-me Motorhome and may as well carry it rather than leaving it at home. In my case I just kept the original cassette in use in the end after an intensive clean and stowed the new one instead. It has never actually ever been christened.

I live in Northern Ireland. A few years ago I bought a replacement cassette as the original had some damage to the flap mechanism mounting screw locations. The replacement was at a good price.
It was bought with part of me thinking it would improve our independence from needing to keep emptying in mind. Seemed funny to have 140 litres of fresh water capacity (normally about a weeks worth), but needing to empty the cassette every couple of days. I am talking about Ireland in general. I have never been unable to legally dispose of waste, particularly since I tend not to use chemicals of any sort. We could modify our habits and use sites or toilets in pubs, shopping centres, etc, but we prefer to use our own facilities.
Peace of mind and longer times between needing to empty are the payoff. I have to qualify this by saying that our touring over 2020 and 2021 were greatly impacted and most of our 95 nights this year were in France and Spain.
I don’t carry the second cassette to the Continental trips as it is unnecessary.

Davy

We have a second cassette but it is trip dependant on whether we carry it. It is usually on board if we are "wilding" and want the flexibility of extra days without having to search for a disposal point.

I carry a 25 ltr plastic can with a spout big enough to tip a cassette into got it from a dairy farm I was visiting lot cheaper than a extra cassette and holds 2 cassette contents but they are available from home brew suppliers for a price

Yes to a 2nd cassette if there is room. We very rarely use campsites so it is a must have for us.

No solids go in ours, Bio tabs for the niffs and usually use disable or public loos.

But as it is just wee, and even then just lady wee (which is supposed to be like a fine wine) I have a bottle, where else would it be ok to empty?

Carried one a year ago, didn't use it. 6.3 metre van, debated taking it this winter trip but storage space a premium.
Camping-Car Parks are open all year with services in France. Sometimes worth a wee diversion for aire services even if not stopping.
And the pee bottle, get a Nalgene with big screw top, the mountaineer's aid in tents.

No solids go in ours, Bio tabs for the niffs and usually use disable or public loos.

But as it is just wee, and even then just lady wee (which is supposed to be like a fine wine) I have a bottle, where else would it be ok to empty?
What do you do at night if the tortoise's head pops out. :unsure:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back