Second Thetford casette - is it worth it?

The Ridgemonkey 15ltr water carrier does the job and not over bulky. It has a very large lid at one end larger than the Thetford cassette spout. Been practicing its use to extend chemical disposal days in a campsite chemical disposal point and happy with the solution.

Thetford claim their volume is 17.5ltr however the contents seem to fit into the Ridgemonkey although I will admit the Thetford was not overflowing. But then would anybody ever want to risk a Thetford overflow?

Reading the various posts, the people who use a second container instead of a second Thetford cassette are just emptying their toilet twice as often?
Ok, you are not making a trip to a disposal point, but you are still emptying into one container, then emptying that one later on. What a load of faffing around instead of just having a second cassette!

We manage a week at least out of ours, Only Liz uses the loo, I hate the damned things, I don't have a big arse but the seats are like a kids potty almost, I have a bottle which gets emptied and cleaned every day, we use toilets when we can for solids and bag and bin it when in the van.

Reading the various posts, the people who use a second container instead of a second Thetford cassette are just emptying their toilet twice as often?
Ok, you are not making a trip to a disposal point, but you are still emptying into one container, then emptying that one later on. What a load of faffing around instead of just having a second cassette!
There are trips that we make where official disposal points or even public loos are not that common. West coast of Ireland, Cabo de Gata and more isolated retreats along Costa del Luz are examples.

No doubt others here know of areas that they regularly visit with similar facilities shortages. England for one unless you visit a camp site!

Both will be emptied at the same time if a disposal point is handy or water container will be carried into available public loo twice if need be. We have plenty of garage storage.

I looked on the location app for loos in Ireland as a whole and I can't see a single one.

There are trips that we make where official disposal points or even public loos are not that common. West coast of Ireland, Cabo de Gata and more isolated retreats along Costa del Luz are examples.

No doubt others here know of areas that they regularly visit with similar facilities shortages. England for one unless you visit a camp site!

Both will be emptied at the same time if a disposal point is handy or water container will be carried into available public loo twice if need be. We have plenty of garage storage.
so you are still empying the toilet THREE times each "event". If you had another cassette, you are emptying just the twice.

For me, if it was a regular thing to have an interim change between disposal points I would have a 2nd cassette for sure.

Get a scooter!! Some laugh at my scooter but they wont be laughing when I strap my full thetford on it and ride off into the sunset to find somewhere to dump it without moving me van!! :ROFLMAO:

Top tip. Dont try and be clever and balance it on your knee in the footwell while riding across soft wet grass, always strap it to the pillion seat. It doesnt end well when you come off. :poop:
Doesn't have to be a scooter. A lot of the tolerated wild camping places in cities in the South of Maroc had teenage boys who would ride off (who knows where) with your cassette balanced on their pushbike crossbars and bring it back empty and swilled for a euro.

My conscious, plus the 2 spare cassettes I was carrying then wouldn't let me take advantage though but many of the French did.

People who do a lot of off grid camping could do a lot worse than consider a composting toilet. Plenty of info on places like YouTube. Only needs emptying every four to five weeks, got to be worth a thought.

People who do a lot of off grid camping could do a lot worse than consider a composting toilet. Plenty of info on places like YouTube. Only needs emptying every four to five weeks, got to be worth a thought.
That's my intentions in the fullness of time ...
Though possibly more accurately termed a "separating toilet' as it will be more of a bin/bag it system for most folks in motorhomes rather than a true composting system .
I've been looking at the Simploo ones as they are pretty compact .

so you are still empying the toilet THREE times each "event". If you had another cassette, you are emptying just the twice.

For me, if it was a regular thing to have an interim change between disposal points I would have a 2nd cassette for sure.
If you count emptying the cassette into the Ridgemonkey as one event yes.

But where else do you empty it if no facilities available?

And then you have the cassette free for use again turning it effectively into a 35ltr cassette.

It may be me but I don’t like carrying a cassette to and into public toilets. But a water container no problem, even if it’s several hundred yards away from where I am parked.

It just offers up more flexibility and it’s cheaper than the cost of a second cassette.

Who knows the Ridgemonkey may only be used very infrequently as loads of service points may suddenly appear on the radar. But in the U.K. for example, public loos outnumber public motorhome service points by 1000 to 1.

This would help

Just click on one and select view in Google maps, then set it to direct you there, much goodness.
Remember than most of the loos on the west coast drain into septic tanks and have signs outside stating no chemical waste to be disposed of within. Use green fluid (or bio tabs?) or go French and nothing at all and you will be OK.

Many in towns have cameras at the entrance as the Irish have a good idea what touring visitors get up to when they spot a loo!

But then there is the Ridgemonkey…….

Remember than most of the loos on the west coast drain into septic tanks and have signs outside stating no chemical waste to be disposed of within. Use green fluid (or bio tabs?) or go French and nothing at all and you will be OK.

Many in towns have cameras at the entrance as the Irish have a good idea what touring visitors get up to when they spot a loo!

But then there is the Ridgemonkey…….
Just she wee so no problem.

If you count emptying the cassette into the Ridgemonkey as one event yes.
of course I do. You are emptying the cassette. The fact is you are just transferring the waste around in the process is the extra step yopu could avoid.

But where else do you empty it if no facilities available?
you don't. you use the 2nd cassette you have instead of a secondary container. no difference.

And then you have the cassette free for use again turning it effectively into a 35ltr cassette.
just the same as if you had two cassettes in terms of volume.

It may be me but I don’t like carrying a cassette to and into public toilets. But a water container no problem, even if it’s several hundred yards away from where I am parked.
have to say I don't understand the difference. both are containers carrying the same stuff.

It just offers up more flexibility
Flexibility? once you use it the first time to empty your toilet cassette in, what other use exactly have you got for it?

and it’s cheaper than the cost of a second cassette.
How much is the extra cost of a 2nd cassette on a "per empty" basis? For me, the cost of it in order to save a regular vanside transfer of effulence from one container to another would be worth it!

Who knows the Ridgemonkey may only be used very infrequently as loads of service points may suddenly appear on the radar. But in the U.K. for example, public loos outnumber public motorhome service points by 1000 to 1.
Back to just taking a cassette into a public toilet. Who knows what container you are carrying in when it is in a holder?

But horses for courses. I know which option I would go for. (And I have a second cassette in the boot, albeit never used).

I used to carry a sports bag, that was just the right size for a cassette. It was perfect for walking into any toilets, although my preference is Disabled because of the extra privacy. I take it, we all have a Radar Key.
Seaside promenade toilets tend to close at typically 8pm which is a very good time to carry an innocent looking sports bag and a Radar key. The price I paid for this convenience was to always make sure that the toilet cubicle was left tidier than when I arrived.

When I had the underslung LPG tank fitted it freed up the gas locker. I fitted a diesel heater and added a shelf for the spare cassette. The heater and the spare cassette being outside the habitation space mean that if either develops a fault and leaks - carbon monoxide or poop respectively - they leak to the outside. With careful management (using a wee bucket and disposing of discretely in a bush, toilet paper in a bag in the bathroom) I can go two weeks before needing services.

Attachments

• 099 Los Barrios, Spain 02 December 2022.jpg
    099 Los Barrios, Spain 02 December 2022.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 37
When I had the underslung LPG tank fitted it freed up the gas locker. I fitted a diesel heater and added a shelf for the spare cassette. The heater and the spare cassette being outside the habitation space mean that if either develops a fault and leaks - carbon monoxide or poop respectively - they leak to the outside. With careful management (using a wee bucket and disposing of discretely in a bush, toilet paper in a bag in the bathroom) I can go two weeks before needing services.
There are a few things raising an alarm in that picture, first is the exhaust looks like it'd catch on everything (pictures do lie though) I would be very wary of refilling the LPG tank until that heater was both turned off and had cooled down.

and surely there must be some way to use the contents of the cassette to fuel the heater with bio gas :D :D

We manage a week at least out of ours, Only Liz uses the loo, I hate the damned things, I don't have a big arse but the seats are like a kids potty almost, I have a bottle which gets emptied and cleaned every day, we use toilets when we can for solids and bag and bin it when in the van.
What or how do you get a Richard the third into a bottle first thing in the morning. :unsure:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back