not charging starter battery and idle too fast

Alternator replaced with Bosch to match, they had very difficult job but charged me just the quoted price of £334 inclusive. Found crankshaft pulley broken, took photo and will give me price to replace, Don't know who broke it but rust on it indicates it has been done for a while. Possibly Halfords when replacing timing belt just over a year ago. I don't suppose I shall ever know. At least these people seem to be dead honest and have a big enough hoist, a rarity hereabouts.

Alternator replaced with Bosch to match, they had very difficult job but charged me just the quoted price of £334 inclusive. Found crankshaft pulley broken, took photo and will give me price to replace, Don't know who broke it but rust on it indicates it has been done for a while. Possibly Halfords when replacing timing belt just over a year ago. I don't suppose I shall ever know. At least these people seem to be dead honest and have a big enough hoist, a rarity hereabouts.
That's a good price . I paid £136 alt and £125 to fit, so £261 , but I did source the part myself.

That's a bit worrying the pulley is broken, but if it's been OK for a year then can't be too big an issue

No it is just the outer face flange broken so it will possibly shred belt eventually but not too soon I hope. Garage will advise when he gets the price for the pulley.

No it is just the outer face flange broken so it will possibly shred belt eventually but not too soon I hope.
If at all its probaly been ok for some time I'd just keep a eye on it for a while before commiting to changing it. If You do end up having it changed you'll need a new belt so you could get a new one and keep it in case you need it before

Thanks for the advice, Witzend (It would be nice to have an actual name to reply to.) Yes I shall do just that unless the garage advises otherwise. He has been very good so far so I feel I can trust him.

Went for a 20mile drive yesterday and wife, with hearing like a bat or an owl, said all seemed much quieter. With my ears I would not be able to tell so I defer to her on that score.

Fit 2 volt meters on the dash so you can see if les and starter batts are getting the volts.
dash voltage .jpg

A serious snag has shown up. We have just got back from a trip to Leicester and the heating etc worked beautifully though the temperature was seriously low until... Things began to play up after 4 days when the boiler control started to show a fault and the heat was intermittent, Seems the battery was flat so I ran the engine thinking that the solar panel was struggling with the low sun. There was no difference so we decide to cut the visit short and come home reckoning that the battery would charge on the way. It did not; we had no lights, pump or anything on the way back so we had to come all the way home in one hit which we do not like to do. When home plugged in the EHU and everything worked perfectly. Got on to the guys who did the job and was unable to speak to the boss but the underling seemed to think that that was as it should be OK but booked it in to be looked at in early January. If they argue I shall get on to Trading Standards unless anyone has any better ideas. I recon that missed the fact that there were two outputs to be served.

Do you still get 14.5v on your lighter socket voltmeter? when driving. Where the vehicle lights OK?

If so then the job they did was probably OK, unless a connection has worked loose. The split charger may be at fault, or B2B charger if you have one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back