not charging starter battery and idle too fast

Well would you believe it, I reluctantly took the cover off the fuse and relay box and pushed down on all the fuses and relays and one of the relays went down a tiny bit with a click and lo and behold the thing started. Snag is when I turned the ignition off it kept running until I turned it back on again, then it stopped. Tried it again still the same . What is stopping it from turning off, I imagine there is a compression release solenoid somewhere that has chosen now to play up, Just to get me completely peed off eh? Still at least I can move the wagon to where I want it. I will give those relays another push and see what happens.

It seems that every time I take the cover off the fuse/relay box something different happens. Is it, I thought, the fuel hose over the top that has to be moved over to get the box top off, that is the problem. So with that hose hooked up out of the way of the box cover I tried the engine and hey, it went. Still needed the ignition switch half back on to turn off the engine. Did the re-parking which allowed me to perform a much need clean of the drive. Turned engine off and on again and off to check but the third time I tried to start up it failed to go again. Weird. It will be some silly little thing, I am sure. I have not tried it again but I would be surprised if another tweak of that pipe does not have the desired effect.

Oh dear, but you're onto the problem, something loose plug/socket maybe giving you some grief. No smell of diesel in the area? split pipe?

No nothing I can find Yeo. I shall naturally keep looking until it is sorted. I keep wondering about a floating blockage within that pipe but that would give me other problems I think

I read all that thread and it seems over elaborate for such a small job but maybe that is it. Just a marker. Well 14volts this morning, crank x lots and still no go. Where would the fuel/water separator be then? anyone know?

Heres a couple of links in the second is a picture in the lower half of filter is the water drain its coloured white to drain water from filter with it in place you need to unscrew it gently while the ign is turned on this will push water out from the bottom of filter if theres any there

Last edited:
There is also another wiring problem that causes a lot of problems on 2007 x250's I had this with mine theres a place where the loom rises to enter the ECU where its tight to one of the ecu mounts which rubs thru the wires insulation causing shorts If you do a Google You'll find info I put a link to it earlier but it was blocked heres some pics in second pic you can see the rusty bar which causes the problem
103854660_X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(2).thumb.jpg.aff83ab163db6f0a3ec5c5e28bf38f67.jpg1187542394_X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(1).thumb.jpg.66c025f51bdf1caf865b2764dff7dea8.jpg2146114358_X250ECUloomunderNSheadlight(3).thumb.jpg.8a42de5e2ce127e4d64613aac456ca3a.jpg

It seems that every time I take the cover off the fuse/relay box something different happens. Is it, I thought, the fuel hose over the top that has to be moved over to get the box top off, that is the problem. So with that hose hooked up out of the way of the box cover I tried the engine and hey, it went. Still needed the ignition switch half back on to turn off the engine. Did the re-parking which allowed me to perform a much need clean of the drive. Turned engine off and on again and off to check but the third time I tried to start up it failed to go again. Weird. It will be some silly little thing, I am sure. I have not tried it again but I would be surprised if another tweak of that pipe does not have the desired effect.
Sometimes there is only one way to sort problems.
beating car.png

I have to say Witz; Diamond Dave's video was excellent makes me want to have a go myself. Had one need changing in France and guy charged me €300 plus for a new one where I probably only needed the element for a tenner or so (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322909338032) and max half an hours work. Removal tool £19 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313561314964. Mind you all that wiping he does, I would put the fuel in a suitable pot and wash the housing in that to remove the contaminants.
Sometimes there is only one way to sort problems I have to say that when I hit my head on the mirror (have to duck under it where I park) I have to try very hard to stop myself ripping it off, remembering how much they cost

I have to say Witz; Diamond Dave's video was excellent
An if you do a filter plenty of grease on seal an treads when reassembling
I would put the fuel in a suitable pot and wash the housing in that to remove the contaminants.
That's contaminated fuel so best thrown away I use a spray can of brake cleaner for cleaning most things

Now check the amazon link and you'll see where to drain any water retained in the filter

Last edited:
What/where is this Amazon link. I would dry the contaminated diesel off but brake cleaner sounds good, must tell my son to get me some for xmas

These fuel filter are crap. Mine split and dumped fuel everywhere and it hadn't been touched for a least 2 years. AA breakdown got a new one from Vospers main dealer for £180 and it was fitted on the campsite. I now carry a spare with me £70 , exact same one off ebay. ready for the next time it splits.

Heres the Amazon link in the second is a picture in the lower half of filter is the water drain its coloured white to drain water from filter with it in place you need to unscrew it gently while the ign is turned on this will push water out from the bottom of filter if theres any there
Link was Here below diamond daves video

Thanks Witz, seen; but I still don't understand what Yeo was saying. I was suggesting replacing the filter its self, not the casing, as the video shows; so this splitting business is not relevant, is it? Probably just me misreading something, I am good at that, misreading, that is. Better get the fire lit or I shall be in trouble. She does like a flame or two even though it is not that cold now

BTW I did not recognise the Amazon link as a link. How do you do really short ones like that. You will notice my ones are not half so tidy.

Thanks Witz, seen; but I still don't understand what Yeo was saying. I was suggesting replacing the filter its self, not the casing, as the video shows; so this splitting business is not relevant, is it? Probably just me misreading something, I am good at that, misreading, that is.
These filter holders split and dump diesel. I don't know if it was that the filter was changed before I had the van and incorrectly torqued down or they didn't use the correct tool for the job. But it split 2 years after I owned the van. I have heard of this problem before.
Since the whole new assembly was replaced, 4 years ago , it has been OK.

Thanks Witz, seen; but I still don't understand what Yeo was saying.
There's been 100's of reports of these filter housings failing some after a filter change some like Yeo's fail for no apparent reason after yrs of trouble free use. I've changed mine 3 times in 10 yrs as normal service using the tool you linked to using a torque wrench to reassemble with threads and seal well lubricated. I carry torque wrench + filter and assem tool and in case housing fails a length of fuel pipe and 2 jubilee clips to bypass the filter

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back