not charging starter battery and idle too fast

Harrytherid

Start engine and all OK for two seconds then gradually idle speed increases until 1200to1500rpm after about 5 seconds.
After about five to eight seconds the battery warning light comes on and battery showing 11.8 volts with the engine going or stopped. Any idea what is wrong? Vehicle 2007 Ducato 130 multijet LHD. Not the alternator, I hope. If so how to fix.

Ditto, got exactly the same on mine, same engine. I blip the throttle when I start it to about 2k RPM and all's OK.
Always wondered why the alternator doesn't kick in, I assume when the ECU doesn't see the alternator charge it increases RPM to get it to charge.
I did speak to a mechanic once about it and he said he'd seen it before, probababy alternator fault.

Same problem, changed the alternator, problem solved👍😆😆
Pratted about and tried the easy route ie earth connections, battery connections etc. just because they were easy to get to, should have checked the alternator first 😒😒
Must be getting old, any thing for an easy life 🤗🤗

Thanks Ken and Trev. Blip to 2000 then 3000 did not work in fact Battery warning stayed off until 2000 so must be the alternator. Yes I tried the easy route ie: earth connections, battery connections etc. even bought cheap OBD2 mschine but no help so better get mechanic in, I suppose. unless it is fairly easy to do?

By checking the earth connection did you check the battery earth to the chassis under the passenger footwell floor panel as well as the engine to the chassis?

Yes Alan I did check and scraped clean the battery earth even though there was nothing on it but where is the engine to chassis earth? It is surprising how little info there is on the Ducato on the web. When I went looking I failed to find the alternator even. Maybe it is under that great big plastic moulding under the wheel arch?

I don't know exactly on yours but think it will be secured between the gearbox (righthand side as looking under the bonnet) and engine bay chassis lower down near the air filter housing.

It is surprising how little info there is on the Ducato on the web. When I went looking I failed to find the alternator even. Maybe it is under that great big plastic moulding under the wheel arch?
If You look down the left hand side of engine you'll see 2 drive belts one has the alternator on the end of it. the earth strap is right hand side behind the bottom of the airfilter about 6" long spoken about a lot changed even more

Thanks Alan and witzend. I am off to an opticians appointment in a few minutes so will look on my return. From memory, there is a lot of stuff obstructing the view that side which is probably why I have not clocked it before. BTW where in Cornwall are you, witzend, (I imagine that's what the flag means) I am in Bodmin, just near to Morrisons and what does "spoken about a lot changed even more" mean and why would it be forbidden to forbid? Bit of an oxymoron, that. cheers, Harry

Thanks Alan and witzend. I am off to an opticians appointment in a few minutes so will look on my return. From memory, there is a lot of stuff obstructing the view that side which is probably why I have not clocked it before. BTW where in Cornwall are you, witzend, (I imagine that's what the flag means) I am in Bodmin, just near to Morrisons and what does "spoken about a lot changed even more" mean and why would it be forbidden to forbid? Bit of an oxymoron, that. cheers, Harry
I looked at a youtube vid of changing it, as mine still works OK albeit after a blip of he throttle, noticed it a few years ago, I'll not be doing it, yet, and if it has to be done I personally won't DIY. looks a bugger to do.
After your opticians visit with your new eyes 'twill be easy to see!

I think a partial answer to your question is regarding the earth straps Fiat are renowned for needing a good earth and it often compromises starting and charging. So double check them, the area beneath where they are bolted down, clean and if necessary replace with better quality ones.

Sounds like alternator is gubbed. But good earths solve loads of associated electrical issues so great advice the check these. Rather than replace an earth why not just add another one from a suitable engine bolt to chassis. Normally if a alternator is not working the charge light does not go out right from the starting up it stays on right from the first crank - not off then on...just on all the time. I can only assume if the red light comes on after a while after starting that you may have a "smart" one.
Just a wee thought you will get a few engine starts out of a well charged battery before it dies so charge it up before you drive to the garage and hopefully you won't get stranded. please share the outcome, good luck. Peter

Thanks all again, So far I have failed to locate that pesky earth strap although I have finally spotted the alternator. I have considered the bolt on the engine to the chassis route myself. I will get that sorted before I make any other decisions. The battery earth strap I have scraped the surround of and generally cleaned up before bolting it back tight. I shall buy a decent earth strap from my local auto factors once I have determined the length from engine bolt (or maybe gearbox?) to new earth lug. The jump starting ground stud is pretty useless so I have made up a 3mm thick copper lug which I have bolted to the chassis. Successful, works a treat. Battery holding 13.1 V now. From charger, not alternator. I have excellent lithium jump starter so no stranding problem if I stop.

If you want to rule the earth straps out ...

Use a jump lead from battery earth to a decent lump of earth on the engine .

How's your battery for health ....I've come across all sorts of odd behaviour charging wise when the alternator (especially modern ones)is trying to compensate for a failing battery .

Your charger should top off at 14.4v before going to a float of about 13.4v to 13.7v, after an hr or so with no charging it should settle to about 12.7v.

https://www.WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN/earth-strap-problems.php
heres a alterative. well I though it was

Last edited:
https://www.WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN/earth-strap-problems.php

aandncaravanservices have details on their website

Just a thought ... faster than usual idle is probably cos alternator is not charging so not loading the engine at all so may see slight increase in rpm? Again points to alternator I think.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back