not charging starter battery and idle too fast

If you want to rule the earth straps out ...

Use a jump lead from battery earth to a decent lump of earth on the engine .

How's your battery for health ....I've come across all sorts of odd behaviour charging wise when the alternator (especially modern ones)is trying to compensate for a failing battery .
Thanks, must try that mistericeman and maybe a temporary earth (jump lead) from the battery to the nice new lug I have fitted and the engine to that lug also Jump lead. I'll get there in the end. Click Mechanic want £303 inclusive, to put new alternator on. I could do without the expense with xmas coming.

Thanks, must try that mistericeman and maybe a temporary earth (jump lead) from the battery to the nice new lug I have fitted and the engine to that lug also Jump lead. I'll get there in the end. Click Mechanic want £303 inclusive, to put new alternator on. I could do without the expense with xmas coming.
What state is your battery in ?

Try fully charging it with a decent smart charger or a known good battery ....

Whoopee. Tried the jump lead test and it worked. I cant find whose idea that was but thanks. New earth strap will be obtained and fitted and all should be OK. Mind you only 12.6volts on the cigarette lighter but tick over perfect and no battery warning light.

Now I tried the jury rigged ground cable and the revs now as wanted with or without that cable. However when revs go up to 2000+ battery light comes on and stays on at all revs. Neighbour/Pal of mine thinks might be slipping belt to alternator, any thoughts?

Now I tried the jury rigged ground cable and the revs now as wanted with or without that cable. However when revs go up to 2000+ battery light comes on and stays on at all revs. Neighbour/Pal of mine thinks might be slipping belt to alternator, any thoughts?
If the batts are low the belt may slip, but you will hear it and it may break, charge voltage should be 14.4 when running, 12.7 tells me no charge from alt.

I looked at a youtube vid of changing it, as mine still works OK albeit after a blip of he throttle, noticed it a few years ago, I'll not be doing it, yet, and if it has to be done I personally won't DIY. looks a bugger to do.
After your opticians visit with your new eyes 'twill be easy to see!
Oh £$%^, went to go out this morning in it and blipping the throttle to 2K RPM didn't work. The engine batt. light came on, wont charge, stays at around 12.6v. @Harrytherid voltage must rise to 14.4v for the alt. to be good.
Mechanic coming around later this week to fit new alternator.
I have recently fitted a 30Amp B2B so maybe that was the last straw for the alternator.

My mate came over and told me he had been consulting the "Oracle" and that reckons the belt the favourite. If dry tomorrow I shall get up on ramps ,remove stone guard and see how that belt is doing. Probably lost some elasticity over the years

My mate came over and told me he had been consulting the "Oracle" and that reckons the belt the favourite. If dry tomorrow I shall get up on ramps ,remove stone guard and see how that belt is doing. Probably lost some elasticity over the years
Very likely a stretch belt with no adjustment

Did you get the alt replaced? Had mine done today , bought alternator from Coastal Motorhomes and local mechanic fitted it, what a barsteward, it unbolts but no space to get it out, had to unbolt exhaust/cat and unbolt engine mount to jack engine up to get the space, 4hrs. work.
If you can get ClickMechanic to do it all in for £300 I'd bite his arm off! Especially if they can fit a motorhome on their ramp
Back up to 14.4v charge and B2B working.

Last edited:
When I was last under there I observed that there are two idler wheels on the relevant belt but no space to do anything. No; click mechanic would be ripping off their operative if I went to them and I am not in that business. I went to a local garage with a big lift and we looked at the alternator on that. Nice guy, there, got the make and number but the two factors he tried could not provide a new one (personal import so the registration No. does not help) and they offered a refurb with a 36 month warranty which was accepted and the whole job will cost a max of £330 inclusive. Going to be done next Thursday. Will be less if the thing comes out more easily than it looks. He recons a max of three hours but from what you say maybe not. Click mechanic would do it on my drive, I think not.

When I was last under there I observed that there are two idler wheels on the relevant belt but no space to do anything. No; click mechanic would be ripping off their operative if I went to them and I am not in that business. I went to a local garage with a big lift and we looked at the alternator on that. Nice guy, there, got the make and number but the two factors he tried could not provide a new one (personal import so the registration No. does not help) and they offered a refurb with a 36 month warranty which was accepted and the whole job will cost a max of £330 inclusive. Going to be done next Thursday. Will be less if the thing comes out more easily than it looks. He recons a max of three hours but from what you say maybe not. Click mechanic would do it on my drive, I think not.
That's good, let us know how it goes, my mechanic couldn't get it on his lift so had to do it using jacks. The alternators for mine 2011 2.3l Fiat X250 are basically the same but available with different current outputs, either 110, 140, 150, 180amps. Mine was marked Bosch 110A but I've replaced it with a 140A one as I've a B2B charger fitted.
I we hadn't have been gassing so much would probably taken 3 hrs. to do.:)

Right, yeo[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]blade[/COLOR], due to be done Thursday morning and it is a also a Bosch 140A if I remember correctly. I can hardly wait to have my wagon back fully functional, then we shall go up to Daughter's place in Leicester when we get a reasonable weather forecast. Where would one put an extra alternator? Trev, there is no room on mine.

Right, yeo[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]blade[/COLOR], due to be done Thursday morning and it is a also a Bosch 140A if I remember correctly. I can hardly wait to have my wagon back fully functional, then we shall go up to Daughter's place in Leicester when we get a reasonable weather forecast. Where would one put an extra alternator? Trev, there is no room on mine.
Think Trev has got a N S engine RWD Iveco setup, totally different layout, hardly room for one Alternator in our FWD Ducatos

Yes some room, thes as many vans had a 230v alt fitted for ice cream use/vans, army use etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back