Motorhome speed limits UK

like most once we pull up we rarely look out of the windows as we're often reading etc unless we're in a really nice wild place, not much to see in an aire or carpark unless you're a nosy bugger

I like the idea of an aire, but mostly just as a facility, but almost half the ones we drove into they were broken or just not working.

Actually you are correct Sir (bow, scrape) they changed it a few years ago and I'd forgotten.

Ha ha, only because I found out the hard way. I even saw the speed camera van and was quite smug at the fact I was doing under 60.

WE have a way of dealing with speed vans over here. 😂
speed van.jpg

It’s weird with dual carriageways, on some I am limited to 60 if it’s national speed limit yet others I am ok for 70. It will be explained somewhere but in always give up looking. I thought it was to do with the van being 4t initially but it was the same after down plating to max 3.5t

Today i did a speed awareness class for being naughty, a lot of things were disgust of which i had no idea about until today.
First and big one was vans and trucks can only go to 40 mph on a 60mph road & 60mph on duel carrage/motorways.
Also no sineage is required on lots of l posts, but if street lighting is there then 30mph is all allowed unless otherwise signed.
Many roads here now have speed painted on the road, this is not law but helpful, this may change in the future, signs will be there which must be obayed as theres are legal, two & a half hrs but no points on my licence, cost of course £80, fine with points if you prefair is £60 + 3 points.

First and big one was vans and trucks can only go to 40 mph on a 60mph road & 60mph on duel carrage/motorways.
Either it's different where you are or the course is spreading BS. Vans and trucks up to 7.5 tonnes can do 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual carriageways and 70 on motorways (although speed limiters might keep the speed down to 90 km/h). The lower limit you were given applies only to goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes MGW.

Either it's different where you are or the course is spreading BS. Vans and trucks up to 7.5 tonnes can do 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual carriageways and 70 on motorways (although speed limiters might keep the speed down to 90 km/h). The lower limit you were given applies only to goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes MGW.
I pointed that out and was told wrong & they hear this every day, most laws here are the same as mainland, think they said wales has some odd rules out as of now.
Truckers here stick a magnet around the speed unit on the g box which explains why some pass me like rockets when im doing 60.
Oh and one other thing, vans on any country road are also restricted to 40mph, first i ever heard of that one for sure.
Who am i to argue so just sat and listened, i agree with you on speeds.

I pointed that out and was told wrong & they hear this every day, most laws here are the same as mainland, think they said wales has some odd rules out as of now.
Truckers here stick a magnet around the speed unit on the g box which explains why some pass me like rockets when im doing 60.
Oh and one other thing, vans on any country road are also restricted to 40mph, first i ever heard of that one for sure.
Who am i to argue so just sat and listened, i agree with you on speeds.
And yet the Government itself disagrees with them (see the link in my previous post)...

I'm of the mind that this is the weight before the conversion is done, and I'm not sure if it includes private vehicles or not.
Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)
Motorhomes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)50 (80)60 (96)70 (112)

It’s weird with dual carriageways, on some I am limited to 60 if it’s national speed limit yet others I am ok for 70. It will be explained somewhere but in always give up looking. I thought it was to do with the van being 4t initially but it was the same after down plating to max 3.5t
I think one confusion is WHAT is a dual carriageway. there is a common belief that a dual carriageway is when there are two lanes on each side, but that is not the case. It is when there is a central barrier between the opposing lanes (not sure if it has to be a physical one - I think so).
As well as having that central barrier it also needs to be signed as one with the roadsign that I hope everyone here would recognise.
PLUS a dual carriageway is not automatically at the National Speed Limit. It maybe limited below, same as any road (there are lots of dual carriageways around Birmingham that are 40 Max, with the reason being to keep road noise down as going close to residential areas).

There is one specific and shortish section of road in the Borders that the speed limits changing constantly and I always look at the Sat Nav to see how it reflects the limit. Goes 20, 30, 40, 50 & National, with a 200 yard bit of dual carriageway thrown in as well. It in my mind as I was driving on that road yesterday so checking the numbers as is my habit on that stretch :)

You sure you didn't go for a few before the course Trev? 😜 :ROFLMAO:
I wish, it was in a local pub corrs corner just a mile from me, i just sat and listened most of the time, the course is not run by the police but by drive tec uk.
corrs b.jpg
corrs a.jpg

Last edited:
Not forgetting it will be mandatory for new cars (dunno about vans) to have speed limiters fitted, I think they can for now be turned off, but I'm curious as to how the car will know, I assume there must be something being put in place that triggers it, and I hope Google maps and other sat navs can utilise it as the speed displays are way out in my experience.

Regarding 7.5t trucks, there are some that can do the national speed limit, but only up to a certain year, I subbied for a small truck firm and they would only buy trucks up to that year, this was in the 90s I regularly drove at 70mph on motorways.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:251)

colinm, mark61, Fisherman, Bouydog, Old Man Down, mjvw, Matchlock, Gadabout2, redhand, Jo001, Steve and Julie, RichardHelen262, jeffmossy, runnach, mistericeman, AllanD, andyjanet, maingate, Firefox, Greengrass, Pudsey Bear, AdriaTwin, Boris7, cornish hymer, alcam, NSY, Scotia, iandsm, TeamRienza, number14, belbri, Bigshug, wildebus, Tim120, davep10000, exwindsurfer, Neckender, guerdeval, Jim G, TJBi, Robmac, s4x4c, dekaz, ramblefrog, Victor, mikejay, bobemmo29, trevskoda, Monkeybrand, witzend, The March Hare, zzr1400tim, matbic, Bat21, Carrerasax, korky, Rossco, pamjon, Tartarus, flying kipper, aross, Nabsim, Canalsman, hmssnake, molly 2, Wooie1958, clarkpeacock, ajb70, ricc, REC, hamsterberg27, Okta, Alberto, Lee, Livotlout, Winger, rugbyken, SimonM, Rosehip, Heppy, Andys, 1807truckman, linkshouse, denmar, bdastu, V1nny, r4dent, ewen, Moocher, Tezza33, chrishunter, ChrisInNotts, mygrassisblue, Wheelie, Mossystone, The laird, n brown, shortcircuit, rustydog, Hilaryann, Curly, marchie, DTF, RichyP, jacquigem, helmit, Ex Greeny, fiona b, izwozral, GeoffL, alwaysared, trixie88, ozzy1955, kevlakes, st3v3, Caz, Moonraker 2, smg, HurricaneSmith, jeanette, campervanannie, calvo, Del668, McHazy, peejay, ironman, jann, Andrewhr, longtoedsloth, Rod, nitram, BM48, Silew, Holasuki, RJH, DavieR, Clunegapyears, GWAYGWAY, Ken Parsons, vtwinner, Biggarmac, AndyC, CWH, Fazerloz, scoobydiver, RSD7a, Rumour, hayhiker, paulhelenwilko, CleverTrevorUK, AndyJL, gdf, Chip, landie50, EllieM, Mothership, Lindaforde, tripper, Owen M, merl, TerryD, Divine Right, Fifer, Mark135, Team ST, Walkingmox, Fat Albert 2, Martin1865, TonyEmm, Thistle, Di1234, Richard Surgey, Ly085, Obanboy666, Elfit, Hogweed, winks, SCRUMPY BOY, Alun100, knowledgeseeker, PopesOnTour, Rob H, JohnClimber, gasgas, Nickrock, alanfleming, AnneL, Matthew362, Sean, Chris Craven, GMJ, Rolyan57, Sharon the Cat, Plusner, Drover, Squeegee, VandA, euro28, Vatsmith, Lib, Chico60, popeye1958, RoaminRog, TORCHIE, Martin P, Herman, WingNut, oppy, Murgzie, TimSands, mike w, Benylin, kwil69, bnb080, Rover, BETTSY, CyderT1N, GeorgeK, coundonroad, Hornet49, Wightman, Rodders1234, NudeJude, Weefifer, FiL, TeamPuffin, Nesting Zombie, JVG, Ched, royh28, Glass man, ravenzero1, Stevie 25, Bazza1509, Greytop, amcjam, b1gb0y112, Big yin, Sgrockle, gripseven, kensowerby, Dezi, The black dug, Geoff C, davidjlambert, Tonymandala, Jiwawa, big tom, gabby82, sydnsue, Moxyman,
Back