Motorhome speed limits UK

I think one confusion is WHAT is a dual carriageway. there is a common belief that a dual carriageway is when there are two lanes on each side, but that is not the case. It is when there is a central barrier between the opposing lanes (not sure if it has to be a physical one - I think so).
As well as having that central barrier it also needs to be signed as one with the roadsign that I hope everyone here would recognise.
This is something that a group of us did to death about a year ago. A dual carriageway is one where there is a divider that may not be crossed except in an emergency. So, for example, double white lines don't count since they can be crossed to overtake cyclists and other slow moving traffic that is travelling at 10 mph or less. However, hatchings bounded by solid lines do count since they can be entered but not completely crossed. The same with median grass strips since they cannot be crossed under normal circumstances (even via gaps in the grass intended for emergency vehicles to use or to permit contraflow for carriageway works etc.)
PLUS a dual carriageway is not automatically at the National Speed Limit. It maybe limited below, same as any road (there are lots of dual carriageways around Birmingham that are 40 Max, with the reason being to keep road noise down as going close to residential areas).
A dual carriageway with street lights less than the prescribed limit apart impose the default urban speed limit (30 mph in England) unless signed otherwise.
Not forgetting it will be mandatory for new cars (dunno about vans) to have speed limiters fitted, I think they can for now be turned off, but I'm curious as to how the car will know, I assume there must be something being put in place that triggers it, and I hope Google maps and other sat navs can utilise it as the speed displays are way out in my experience.
As from a few days ago, all new cars must be fitted with some of the most annoying tech going: Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA), which uses GPS mapping and cameras to detect the speed limit and restrict the vehicle to this. While you were able to permanently disable this, you now have to turn it off at the start of each journey and this is logged to be used in evidence?! Also mandatory is 'lane assist' that tries to keep you in the same lane unless you indicate and I suspect any cruise control system fitted must be adaptive. FWIW, 'funsters' have already shown issues with ISA and lane assist has already caused accidents. Funsters went around with tee-shirts that had speed limit signs on them that ISA 'considered' to be 'proper' speed limits. Lane assist, however, is worse as there have been several accidents where people have attempted to swerve onto the verge to avoid a head-on collision and lane assist has 'helpfully' guided them back into danger!

This is something that a group of us did to death about a year ago. A dual carriageway is one where there is a divider that may not be crossed except in an emergency. So, for example, double white lines don't count since they can be crossed to overtake cyclists and other slow moving traffic that is travelling at 10 mph or less. However, hatchings bounded by solid lines do count since they can be entered but not completely crossed. The same with median grass strips since they cannot be crossed under normal circumstances (even via gaps in the grass intended for emergency vehicles to use or to permit contraflow for carriageway works etc.)

A dual carriageway with street lights less than the prescribed limit apart impose the default urban speed limit (30 mph in England) unless signed otherwise.

As from a few days ago, all new cars must be fitted with some of the most annoying tech going: Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA), which uses GPS mapping and cameras to detect the speed limit and restrict the vehicle to this. While you were able to permanently disable this, you now have to turn it off at the start of each journey and this is logged to be used in evidence?! Also mandatory is 'lane assist' that tries to keep you in the same lane unless you indicate and I suspect any cruise control system fitted must be adaptive. FWIW, 'funsters' have already shown issues with ISA and lane assist has already caused accidents. Funsters went around with tee-shirts that had speed limit signs on them that ISA 'considered' to be 'proper' speed limits. Lane assist, however, is worse as there have been several accidents where people have attempted to swerve onto the verge to avoid a head-on collision and lane assist has 'helpfully' guided them back into danger!
Afaik, lane assist and adaptive cruise control are only put on by manufacturers to get a better ncap rating, but can only be switched off temporarily, I can see a market in lane control deleting.

Afaik, lane assist and adaptive cruise control are only put on by manufacturers to get a better ncap rating, but can only be switched off temporarily, I can see a market in lane control deleting.
A quick search of the 'net turned up the following:

In July 2022, new EU regulations were introduced, requiring all new cars and light commercial vehicles to have advanced emergency braking systems, intelligent speed assistance, emergency lane-keeping systems, driver drowsiness and attention warning, advanced driver distraction warning, and reversing detection. The UK remains aligned with the EU on new vehicle standards, making these regulations applicable in the UK as well.

These became mandatory on July 7 this year (2024)...

I don't see the point of buying a new car, Liz uses them like a bloody van carrying crap around in them, and she never ever cleans them, I refuse to clean them as it's her that makes them need it.

I don't blame her! Reading this thread, I'm never getting a modern car. I wish I still had my Mk4 Golf Diesel. Indestructible.

She loves her old Peugot 207 Barry. It's battle scarred but still does millions to the gallon and £25 a year to tax. Somebody reversed into it in a car park the other week and although he got out and offered to pay for the damage (slight scratching and a small dent) she just said "Meh! don't worry about it".

It's been given the last rites now though and I worry about it breaking down somewhere dangerous so it has to go, It owes us nothing.

I don't see the point of buying a new car, Liz uses them like a bloody van carrying crap around in them, and she never ever cleans them, I refuse to clean them as it's her that makes them need it.

Having two dogs is a major factor as well Kev!

She loves her old Peugot 207 Barry. It's battle scarred but still does millions to the gallon and £25 a year to tax. Somebody reversed into it in a car park the other week and although he got out and offered to pay for the damage (slight scratching and a small dent) she just said "Meh! don't worry about it".

It's been given the last rites now though and I worry about it breaking down somewhere dangerous so it has to go, It owes us nothing.

Michelle had a 1.5 diesel Micra for years. She loved that car. Never ever broke down. Would do 70mpg if you drove it carefully. Even I never got it below 60mpg and it was quirky looking. Got rear ended by a coach on the A66 and written off. She was heart broken.

Being the ex managing director of a very small haulage firm for many years I should know all the answers about commercial trucks...
But....
Just slow down what's the rush you are missing everything....

Ps over 3500kgs is lower on single track in France and many other countries. But over 7500kgs has a higher speed limiter setting

And that's why foreign reg trucks pass british ones....it's only 3.??mph but it makes a difference

Interesting Mark, all we need to do is move the busses etc and get all the bushes and trees trimmed, it is terrible around here, bad siting and lazy councils.
They also do "real view" navigation.
Was pretty crap when I tried it, but that was a good while ago.
Interesting I guess, but not so sure of any real value.
Their video looks much better than it did on my phone, so may well have improved.

https://www.sygic.com/what-is/real-view-navigation

My sat nav will give 60 or 70 with no regard to what the dual carriageway looks like. I have had 60mph with Armco barriers and concrete barriers between carriageways. I can think of any examples offhand but will try to remember to make a not in future. There will be a reason I just haven’t noticed it.

With regard to lane guidance and adaptive cruise control etc, I have a lot of that on my car. The lane guidance will try to steer you back but you can go where you want, you just need more steering effort. First couple of times it happened it worried me but it’s no problem now. I can see how it can be the cause of an accident unless the driver didn’t try to over ride it.

Adaptive cruise can be more annoying, first couple of times with that I was looking for warning lights on the dash thinking I was going into limp mode or something. A lot of the time it’s just slowing you down gently as you coast up to another vehicle but if someone cuts in from the side it rapidly slows you. I can see how adaptive could easily cause accidents if a drivers reactions weren’t really good. Again I have gotten used to it and if it’s clear to just flick indicator on and change to a clear lane it’s no problem but that’s not always possible. You definitely need decent defensive driving skills lol

I have a lot of time for Trev's argument, but.

A. You can drive yourself loopy worrying about it. My evidence. Item 1: Trev. 😜 :LOL:

B. The battles lost, move on.

My sat nav will give 60 or 70 with no regard to what the dual carriageway looks like. I have had 60mph with Armco barriers and concrete barriers between carriageways. I can think of any examples offhand but will try to remember to make a not in future. There will be a reason I just haven’t noticed it.

With regard to lane guidance and adaptive cruise control etc, I have a lot of that on my car. The lane guidance will try to steer you back but you can go where you want, you just need more steering effort. First couple of times it happened it worried me but it’s no problem now. I can see how it can be the cause of an accident unless the driver didn’t try to over ride it.

Adaptive cruise can be more annoying, first couple of times with that I was looking for warning lights on the dash thinking I was going into limp mode or something. A lot of the time it’s just slowing you down gently as you coast up to another vehicle but if someone cuts in from the side it rapidly slows you. I can see how adaptive could easily cause accidents if a drivers reactions weren’t really good. Again I have gotten used to it and if it’s clear to just flick indicator on and change to a clear lane it’s no problem but that’s not always possible. You definitely need decent defensive driving skills lol
I'd love to try lane guidence/lane assist and the like but you need things called "road markings" I believe? So a non-starter round here :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:253)

colinm, mark61, Fisherman, Bouydog, Old Man Down, mjvw, Matchlock, Gadabout2, redhand, Jo001, Steve and Julie, RichardHelen262, jeffmossy, runnach, mistericeman, AllanD, andyjanet, maingate, Firefox, Greengrass, Pudsey Bear, AdriaTwin, Boris7, cornish hymer, alcam, NSY, Scotia, iandsm, TeamRienza, number14, belbri, Bigshug, wildebus, Tim120, davep10000, exwindsurfer, Neckender, guerdeval, Jim G, TJBi, Robmac, s4x4c, dekaz, ramblefrog, Victor, mikejay, bobemmo29, trevskoda, Monkeybrand, witzend, The March Hare, zzr1400tim, matbic, Bat21, Carrerasax, korky, Rossco, pamjon, Tartarus, flying kipper, aross, Nabsim, Canalsman, hmssnake, molly 2, Wooie1958, clarkpeacock, ajb70, ricc, REC, hamsterberg27, Okta, Alberto, Lee, Livotlout, Winger, rugbyken, SimonM, Rosehip, Heppy, Andys, 1807truckman, linkshouse, denmar, bdastu, V1nny, r4dent, ewen, Moocher, Tezza33, chrishunter, ChrisInNotts, mygrassisblue, Wheelie, Mossystone, The laird, n brown, shortcircuit, rustydog, Hilaryann, Curly, marchie, DTF, RichyP, jacquigem, helmit, Ex Greeny, fiona b, izwozral, GeoffL, alwaysared, trixie88, ozzy1955, kevlakes, st3v3, Caz, Moonraker 2, smg, HurricaneSmith, jeanette, campervanannie, calvo, Del668, McHazy, peejay, ironman, jann, Andrewhr, longtoedsloth, Rod, nitram, BM48, Silew, Holasuki, RJH, DavieR, Clunegapyears, GWAYGWAY, Ken Parsons, vtwinner, Biggarmac, AndyC, CWH, Fazerloz, scoobydiver, RSD7a, Rumour, hayhiker, paulhelenwilko, CleverTrevorUK, AndyJL, gdf, Chip, landie50, EllieM, Mothership, Lindaforde, tripper, Owen M, merl, TerryD, Divine Right, Fifer, Mark135, Team ST, Walkingmox, Fat Albert 2, Martin1865, TonyEmm, Thistle, Di1234, Richard Surgey, Ly085, Obanboy666, Elfit, Hogweed, winks, SCRUMPY BOY, Alun100, knowledgeseeker, PopesOnTour, Rob H, JohnClimber, gasgas, Nickrock, alanfleming, AnneL, Matthew362, Sean, Chris Craven, GMJ, Rolyan57, Sharon the Cat, Plusner, Drover, Squeegee, VandA, euro28, Vatsmith, Lib, Chico60, popeye1958, RoaminRog, TORCHIE, Martin P, Herman, WingNut, oppy, Murgzie, TimSands, mike w, Benylin, kwil69, bnb080, Rover, BETTSY, CyderT1N, GeorgeK, coundonroad, Hornet49, Wightman, Rodders1234, NudeJude, Weefifer, FiL, TeamPuffin, Nesting Zombie, JVG, Ched, royh28, Glass man, ravenzero1, Stevie 25, Bazza1509, Greytop, amcjam, b1gb0y112, Big yin, Sgrockle, gripseven, kensowerby, Dezi, The black dug, Geoff C, davidjlambert, Tonymandala, Jiwawa, big tom, gabby82, sydnsue, Moxyman, Dougbobbill, Alfie,
Back