Motorhome speed limits UK

My workmate had an XJ6 back in the 80's. He cut the curly lead and receiver off of an old house 'phone and tied the lead to his dashboard. He also had a cassette recording of a 'phone ringing.

He would pull up at traffic lights with the windows down, play the cassette for a few seconds and then put the receiver to his ear and stout shouting stuff like "Buy, Buy! Sell, Sell!".

Now he was a tit.
Similar, but in reverse. A friend in the 1970s was a greenie (sparkie in civvy terms) on HMS [deleted to protect identities] and one of the senior NCOs or officers was having issues with the phone in their office. No matter how and what was tried, it refused to be fixed. It was usable, but there was some line noise that required 'major surgery' to fix -- a cable re-run not possible with the ship operational. The phone's owner eventually said, in exasperation, "I'd do better with a tin can and bit of string" -- so my friend obliged and the following day the guy entered his office to find a tin can and piece of string where the phone used to be!

Probably told this story before but around 1989 or 1990 when I first started work as an IT Exec for my old firm. I was given one of the first Motorola Flip phones, they still look cool now and I had to go to London so they gave me one of the pool cars which at that time was a Ford Orion convertible which I think had been converted privately as I am pretty sure they were never produced. No idea how it ended up in the car pool. I remember though driving down Regent street doing exactly the same thing on my phone with the roof down thinking "I have arrived". Probably speaking to the speaking clock. :D
When I drove my first Merc I felt the same Barry, now their ubiquitous :)

Probably told this story before but around 1989 or 1990 when I first started work as an IT Exec for my old firm. I was given one of the first Motorola Flip phones, they still look cool now and I had to go to London so they gave me one of the pool cars which at that time was a Ford Orion convertible which I think had been converted privately as I am pretty sure they were never produced. No idea how it ended up in the car pool. I remember though driving down Regent street doing exactly the same thing on my phone with the roof down thinking "I have arrived". Probably speaking to the speaking clock. :D

Motorola Startac Barry?

I've still got mine somewhere.

Motorola Startac Barry?

I've still got mine somewhere.

Not sure. It was one of these. I remember the BDM's being outraged that the tech department got these as they still had the big brick City Man phones. We got a few of them with free calls as well. At the time the Franchise I was working for ran a cell net franchise across the UK so we got half a dozen free lines and I had one of them. :ROFLMAO: I am not sure how I wrangled that as I had only been there a few months.

Not sure. It was one of these. I remember the BDM's being outraged that the tech department got these as they still had the big brick City Man phones. We got a few of them with free calls as well. At the time the Franchise I was working for ran a cell net franchise across the UK so we got half a dozen free lines and I had one of them. :ROFLMAO: I am not sure how I wrangled that as I had only been there a few months.

Mine was one of these Barry;

Julie reckons we threw all the old 'phone's away a few months back but I'm sure I told her to keep a couple.

Mine was one of these Barry;

Julie reckons we threw all the old 'phone's away a few months back but I'm sure I told her to keep a couple.

That looks like a later one. Maybe late 90s? They were nice phones. I think the original flip phone was like £3k or something which in todays money from 1989 is north of £9000. Ridiculous. I think we still have a couple of late 90s early 2000s Nokias kicking about. In fact until about three years ago Michelle was still using one of them. :D

That looks like a later one. Maybe late 90s? They were nice phones. I think the original flip phone was like £3k or something. Ridiculous. I think we still have a couple of late 90s early 2000s Nokias kicking about. In fact until about three years ago Michelle was still using one of them. :D

96 apparently Barry and they cost a grand at launch.

I'm sure I didn't pay that much though.

I have been saying that for ages but it's fallen on deaf ears, but no classed as a commercial as far as I can see, I posted that Range Rover V8 diesel is free most places the other day but not Motorhomes unless you register in your home town, it's just wrong.

Back