Motorhome speed limits UK

I detest any cr-p in cars, abs eng warning lamps fuel injection electronic egnition and not forgetting rubber cam belts, bring back the starting handle i say.

I'm with you on that one Trev which considering I'm a techie you might find odd but I hate it all as well. I dont like all the new electronics in my new van either.
Me too, and I'm also a techie. I'm OK with ABS as I can see the point in that and the only time I've ever activated it was intentionally to see if and how it worked! I quite like adaptive cruise control also. However, I have a problem with CANBUS in general. Give me a pre-CANBUS vehicle and I can sort out pretty much everything that might go wrong. However, ISTM that body control modules are programmed to 'start failing' at around 120,000 miles -- at least, that's the mileage the BCM started playing up on the VW Touran I used to have and I'm starting to see more of the same at 119,000 miles on the J10 Qashqai we now have. I need to get an OBD2 reader and hope the BCM can be successfully reset. In the meantime, I'm seriously considering a pre-CANBUS car (i.e. 2001 or earlier) for the next car!

Me too, and I'm also a techie. I'm OK with ABS as I can see the point in that and the only time I've ever activated it was intentionally to see if and how it worked! I quite like adaptive cruise control also. However, I have a problem with CANBUS in general. Give me a pre-CANBUS vehicle and I can sort out pretty much everything that might go wrong. However, ISTM that body control modules are programmed to 'start failing' at around 120,000 miles -- at least, that's the mileage the BCM started playing up on the VW Touran I used to have and I'm starting to see more of the same at 119,000 miles on the J10 Qashqai we now have. I need to get an OBD2 reader and hope the BCM can be successfully reset. In the meantime, I'm seriously considering a pre-CANBUS car (i.e. 2001 or earlier) for the next car!

I'm also a fan of ABS and to some degree Traction Control especially being a motorcycle rider.

I say to some degree because I think that these features make some drivers/riders think they are invincible and that really isn't the case!

Well I just love them Barry, I have been driving cars that can park themselves, stop themselves, turn on the headlights and window wipers, keep me in lane, etc for years now, and I have never had any kind of issue with these things. It reminds me when electric windows became the norm, all I heard was that’s something else to go wrong, well I had more problems with manual windows not working, and in all those years I have never had an issue with electric windows.
In the next few years we won’t need to drive our vehicles, they will do that for us, we will just be passengers.
I suppose what scares people is the thought that all of this will lead to issues, but vehicles have never been more reliable now than they ever were. And the same applies to electronics, they to are far more reliable than ever before. I am not saying these things can’t go wrong, of course they can, but for me the safety, convenience, and comfort they offer, far outweighs any issues they could create.
Look at mobile phones what goes into them, yet they are so reliable. I remember being told when I got my first one in 1995, they will never become popular.

Thats all well and good Bill if you change your vehicle every two or three years which seems to be the case these days for a lot of people. Those that are prepared to spaff £££££ just for a car. I only need a run around so by the time it gets to me its probably ten years old. My experience of tech these days is its not built to last like it used to be. The more tech in a ten year old car the more it will break is my worry. Lets say you buy a ten year old car with all this clever stuff on it and something like lane guidance fails (just an example) and its an MOT failure but costs ££££ to replace. The car is effectively a right off.

Well I just love them Barry, I have been driving cars that can park themselves, stop themselves, turn on the headlights and window wipers, keep me in lane, etc for years now, and I have never had any kind of issue with these things. It reminds me when electric windows became the norm, all I heard was that’s something else to go wrong, well I had more problems with manual windows not working, and in all those years I have never had an issue with electric windows.
In the next few years we won’t need to drive our vehicles, they will do that for us, we will just be passengers.
I suppose what scares people is the thought that all of this will lead to issues, but vehicles have never been more reliable now than they ever were. And the same applies to electronics, they to are far more reliable than ever before. I am not saying these things can’t go wrong, of course they can, but for me the safety, convenience, and comfort they offer, far outweighs any issues they could create.
Look at mobile phones what goes into them, yet they are so reliable. I remember being told when I got my first one in 1995, they will never become popular.
Detest electric windows, aircon etc, anyway you are paying for all that cr-p in the car which i dont want or require, oh and also the weight gain.
Lets take the old vw golf, half the hp and weight to the new one, strange thing is almost as fast and does the same mpg, then there is the disposal of extra junk at end of life causing more polution, dont make any sense to me.

Detest electric windows, aircon etc, anyway you are paying for all that cr-p in the car which i dont want or require, oh and also the weight gain.
Lets take the old vw golf, half the hp and weight to the new one, strange thing is almost as fast and does the same mpg, then there is the disposal of extra junk at end of life causing more polution, dont make any sense to me.

People want gadgets Trev. Even the way car boots or doors close has become gimmicky. I've watched the humongous chelsea tractors in car parks round here. They now press a button to close the boot. After about what seems like an eternity it gently closes. My i10 would be half a mile down the road after I've slammed it shut and roared off before they have watched it close and felt all gleefully warm about it. :ROFLMAO: Why did we need that? Just why? :oops:

Thats all well and good Bill if you change your vehicle every two or three years which seems to be the case these days for a lot of people. Those that are prepared to spaff £££££ just for a car. I only need a run around so by the time it gets to me its probably ten years old. My experience of tech these days is its not built to last like it used to be. The more tech in a ten year old car the more it will break is my worry. Lets say you buy a ten year old car with all this clever stuff on it and something like lane guidance fails (just an example) and its an MOT failure but costs ££££ to replace. The car is effectively a right off.
My current car is 9 years old Barry and other than the Adblue system I have had no electrical or mechanical issues with it whatsoever. With the advent of surface mounted design in the nineties electrical equipment has improved enormously Barry. There are alarm systems I installed 35 years ago still in perfect working order. These modern systems do away with components like solenoids which used to fail all the time. The fact is for all their complexity modern cars are in every way far more reliable than what we used to produce. My experience of tech Barry is it’s obsolete long before it fails. Reliability of electrical equipment has improved enormously in recent times. I am willing my tv set to fail so I can justify buying an OLED set, but the bloody thing just keeps going, it’s 12 years old now. :(

Last edited:
On my we car some warning lights cam on, after getting them switched of and no falt found they came on again after 50 miles, so due to mot looming i removed the electronic clocks and did a wireing runaround by cutting the c board and connecting the lights to a other warning light which now all go out after a few seconds, past the test. 😂
wireing a.jpg
wireing b.jpg
wireing c.jpg

My current car is 9 years old Barry and other than the Adblue system I have had no electrical or mechanical issues with it whatsoever. With the advent of surface mounted design in the nineties electrical equipment has improved enormously Barry. There are alarm systems I installed 35 years ago still in perfect working order. These modern systems do away with components like solenoids which used to fail all the time. The fact is for all their complexity modern cars are in every way far more reliable than what we used to produce. My experience of tech Barry is it’s obsolete long before it fails. Reliability of electrical equipment has improved enormously in recent times. I am willing my tv set to fail so I can justify buying an OLED set, but the bloody thing just keeps going, it’s 12 years old now. :(

Maybe you are right then Bill. Its usually grumpy mechanics that tell me this. "Dont buy a car newer than 2007" they tell me. :D

I think that might have some truth in it for Diesels. Well 2009, pre DPF systems I think. When my old 1998 Gold Diesel finally threw the towel in in 2018 it was the electrics that let it down. The 1.9 old school diesel engine would have gone on to do a zillion miles I bet.

People want gadgets Trev. Even the way car boots or doors close has become gimmicky. I've watched the humongous chelsea tractors in car parks round here. They now press a button to close the boot. After about what seems like an eternity it gently closes. My i10 would be half a mile down the road after I've slammed it shut and roared off before they have watched it close and felt all gleefully warm about it. :ROFLMAO: Why did we need that? Just why? :oops:
Keyless tech eludes me Barry.
I see little advantage, and a massive security risk.
Hence why I never took it as an option in my new van.
I don’t like gimmicks that offer very little and could cause issues.
But having witnessed many serious injuries and deaths on our roads,
I do appreciate things that improves our safety, hence why I forked out for the safety package.

I must admit though Barry when I was 17 and had my first car (Spitfire) the first thing I did to it was fit an electric aerial - I thought I'd put the car into the space age!

I would use it at every opportunity trying to impress but obviously somebody got pissed off and snapped it off outside the pub one night after I forgot to wind it down. I don't blame them! :LOL:

Keyless tech eludes me Barry.
I see little advantage, and a massive security risk.
Hence why I never took it as an option in my new van.
I don’t like gimmicks that offer very little and could cause issues.
But having witnessed many serious injuries and deaths on our roads,
I do appreciate things that improves our safety, hence why I forked out for the safety package.

My Honda scooter has keyless. I hated it at first but I kind of like it now as I dont need to faff about finding the keys if I stop for fuel or have to bother taking my gloves off.

It also has stop start which seems daft on a small scooter but it doesnt have a starter motor as such. It just comes to life. I hear all these cars with start stop and some earlier ones clearly have a starter motor. My thoughts are its just going to wear the battery and the starter motor out in double click time.

I must admit though Barry when I was 17 and had my first car (Spitfire) the first thing I did to it was fit an electric aerial - I thought I'd put the car into the space age!

I would use it at every opportunity trying to impress but obviously somebody got pissed off and snapped it off outside the pub one night after I forgot to wind it down. I don't blame them! :LOL:

When I bought my Honda Prelude many years ago I fitted one of them as well as a frankly useless early Nokia hands free kit and an alarm central locking fob. Cost a fortune. Worra tit. :D

CANBUS, pointless complexity IMHO it may save a tiny amount of weight, but how much is added to control it.

My workmate had an XJ6 back in the 80's. He cut the curly lead and receiver off of an old house 'phone and tied the lead to his dashboard. He also had a cassette recording of a 'phone ringing.

He would pull up at traffic lights with the windows down, play the cassette for a few seconds and then put the receiver to his ear and stout shouting stuff like "Buy, Buy! Sell, Sell!".

Now he was a tit.

Absolutely. The Carlos Vandango extra wide wheels became a bit of a catch phrase in the 80s. I don't think I ever laughed so much at an advert back then than that one. :D

Me too Barry, in fact I've played it a couple of times just now just to keep me cheerful! :LOL:

My workmate had an XJ6 back in the 80's. He cut the curly lead and receiver off of an old house 'phone and tied the lead to his dashboard. He also had a cassette recording of a 'phone ringing.

He would pull up at traffic lights with the windows down, play the cassette for a few seconds and then put the receiver to his ear and stout shouting stuff like "Buy, Buy! Sell, Sell!".

Now he was a tit.

Probably told this story before but around 1989 or 1990 when I first started work as an IT Exec for my old firm. I was given one of the first Motorola Flip phones, they still look cool now and I had to go to London so they gave me one of the pool cars which at that time was a Ford Orion convertible which I think had been converted privately as I am pretty sure they were never produced. No idea how it ended up in the car pool. I remember though driving down Regent street doing exactly the same thing on my phone with the roof down thinking "I have arrived". Probably speaking to the speaking clock. :D

Back