Motorhome speed limits UK

A quick search of the 'net turned up the following:

In July 2022, new EU regulations were introduced, requiring all new cars and light commercial vehicles to have advanced emergency braking systems, intelligent speed assistance, emergency lane-keeping systems, driver drowsiness and attention warning, advanced driver distraction warning, and reversing detection. The UK remains aligned with the EU on new vehicle standards, making these regulations applicable in the UK as well.

These became mandatory on July 7 this year (2024)...
That's a pain, although most manufacturers where fitting it anyway, Ive found lane assist to be a pita, some cars have a dedicated button to switch it off.

Michelle had a 1.5 diesel Micra for years. She loved that car. Never ever broke down. Would do 70mpg if you drove it carefully. Even I never got it below 60mpg and it was quirky looking. Got rear ended by a coach on the A66 and written off. She was heart broken.
Thats exactly what happened to this one mth after building it from bones, clean put me of having anything shiney or costly.
yellow skoda.jpg

Thats exactly what happened to this one mth after building it from bones, clean put me of having anything shiney or costly.View attachment 133024

As I've told you before Trev, Julie had one of those back in the 80's.

It was actually a great little car and I loved driving it but I did have to wear a balaclava in case my mates saw me. Their reputation at the time was actually unfair, as I said a great little car to drive.

I'd love to try lane guidence/lane assist and the like but you need things called "road markings" I believe? So a non-starter round here :)
Very first time mine kicked in there were no road marking but there were those vertical chevrons on the bend. I didn’t know what was going on at first so was playing chicken on the next few bends trying to figure it out lol

That's a pain, although most manufacturers where fitting it anyway, Ive found lane assist to be a pita, some cars have a dedicated button to switch it off.
FWIW, a friend has a 2015 Honda HRV with 'lane departure warning'. Basically, if it 'thinks' you're crossing to another lane, it sounds an infuriating chime and vibrates the steering wheel. It seems that it cannot be turned off ... and it's driving our friend nuts!

Meanwhile, we borrowed a Kia Niro hybrid while in Australia at the beginning of the year -- and that thing had 'lane assist'. So there I was on the motorway with almost no other vehicles in sight. The left-hand lane I was in changed to 'must take next exit' but I wanted to continue straight on. There was nobody who could benefit from a signal, so I tried to change lanes (notice: tried) and the wretched thing wrenched the wheel out of my hands to put me back into the lane I was trying to get out of :eek: It took some effort to actually get out of that left lane. This was the first car I'd ever driven with that 'feature' and so it didn't occur to me that all I needed to do was indicate right: ... scared the living daylights out of me! ...

We hired a car a couple of years ago, I think it was an insignia and that had it too, fecking awful.

Must admit it’s a bit unnerving when these things happen until you realise what they are. I even resorted to the manual for my car but not a hope of reading it. It’s well over an inch thick and smallish type, that’s ok I thought it will be multi-language but no, it’s all English! Put manual away and just Google stuff now if I need to. Mine is a Hyundai Ioniq

Edit: just about everything can be turned off on mine if you want to

Must admit it’s a bit unnerving when these things happen until you realise what they are. I even resorted to the manual for my car but not a hope of reading it. It’s well over an inch thick and smallish type, that’s ok I thought it will be multi-language but no, it’s all English! Put manual away and just Google stuff now if I need to. Mine is a Hyundai Ioniq

Edit: just about everything can be turned off on mine if you want to
I always Google for the PDF manual and download it to the phone Niel, I hate trying to find wherever they have put the bit I need to know.

FWIW, a friend has a 2015 Honda HRV with 'lane departure warning'. Basically, if it 'thinks' you're crossing to another lane, it sounds an infuriating chime and vibrates the steering wheel. It seems that it cannot be turned off ... and it's driving our friend nuts!

Meanwhile, we borrowed a Kia Niro hybrid while in Australia at the beginning of the year -- and that thing had 'lane assist'. So there I was on the motorway with almost no other vehicles in sight. The left-hand lane I was in changed to 'must take next exit' but I wanted to continue straight on. There was nobody who could benefit from a signal, so I tried to change lanes (notice: tried) and the wretched thing wrenched the wheel out of my hands to put me back into the lane I was trying to get out of :eek: It took some effort to actually get out of that left lane. This was the first car I'd ever driven with that 'feature' and so it didn't occur to me that all I needed to do was indicate right: ... scared the living daylights out of me! ...
I have driven many cars with lane assist, at no time have any of them tried to forcibly keep me in a lane to the extent that I was at all worried, but it can be quite unerving when the steering suddenly seems to have a mind of it's own but when you are experienced with the system you learn how to react, today I had a similar steering reaction, but it was nothing to do with lane assist, it was due too a strange undulation in the road.
I believe the system should not be included in any legislation as it has as many or more drawbacks as benefits.

I detest any cr-p in cars, abs eng warning lamps fuel injection electronic egnition and not forgetting rubber cam belts, bring back the starting handle i say.

I'm with you on that one Trev which considering I'm a techie you might find odd but I hate it all as well. I dont like all the new electronics in my new van either.

I'm with you on that one Trev which considering I'm a techie you might find odd but I hate it all as well. I dont like all the new electronics in my new van either.
Well I just love them Barry, I have been driving cars that can park themselves, stop themselves, turn on the headlights and window wipers, keep me in lane, etc for years now, and I have never had any kind of issue with these things. It reminds me when electric windows became the norm, all I heard was that’s something else to go wrong, well I had more problems with manual windows not working, and in all those years I have never had an issue with electric windows.
In the next few years we won’t need to drive our vehicles, they will do that for us, we will just be passengers.
I suppose what scares people is the thought that all of this will lead to issues, but vehicles have never been more reliable now than they ever were. And the same applies to electronics, they to are far more reliable than ever before. I am not saying these things can’t go wrong, of course they can, but for me the safety, convenience, and comfort they offer, far outweighs any issues they could create.
Look at mobile phones what goes into them, yet they are so reliable. I remember being told when I got my first one in 1995, they will never become popular.

Not sure I'll be up for autopilot on cars.
Totally get that Kev, we like to be in control.
But my car can park in tight spaces I would struggle to park in.
I remember the first time I used this facility, I chickened out.
But then I tried again in street where it was much easier to park.
Sitting there whilst the car reversed itself and the steering wheel started turning was scary stuff. But now I use it all the time, and to be honest, the car parks itself better than I and most of us can.
I don’t know how sitting in a car whilst it navigates its way to your destination will feel, I will probably never live long enough to see this. But in not too many years it will become as normal as EVs.

Self-parking I think is a positive Bill and one would be up for although I rarely have to use on street parking and my parking skills are fine but it would certainly make life a little easier in town.

Self-parking I think is a positive Bill and one would be up for although I rarely have to use on street parking and my parking skills are fine but it would certainly make life a little easier in town.
With self driving cars, you will never be told you’re too old to drive Kev.
Something we will have to face one day if we live long enough :(

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:253)

colinm, mark61, Fisherman, Bouydog, Old Man Down, mjvw, Matchlock, Gadabout2, redhand, Jo001, Steve and Julie, RichardHelen262, jeffmossy, runnach, mistericeman, AllanD, andyjanet, maingate, Firefox, Greengrass, Pudsey Bear, AdriaTwin, Boris7, cornish hymer, alcam, NSY, Scotia, iandsm, TeamRienza, number14, belbri, Bigshug, wildebus, Tim120, davep10000, exwindsurfer, Neckender, guerdeval, Jim G, TJBi, Robmac, s4x4c, dekaz, ramblefrog, Victor, mikejay, bobemmo29, trevskoda, Monkeybrand, witzend, The March Hare, zzr1400tim, matbic, Bat21, Carrerasax, korky, Rossco, pamjon, Tartarus, flying kipper, aross, Nabsim, Canalsman, hmssnake, molly 2, Wooie1958, clarkpeacock, ajb70, ricc, REC, hamsterberg27, Okta, Alberto, Lee, Livotlout, Winger, rugbyken, SimonM, Rosehip, Heppy, Andys, 1807truckman, linkshouse, denmar, bdastu, V1nny, r4dent, ewen, Moocher, Tezza33, chrishunter, ChrisInNotts, mygrassisblue, Wheelie, Mossystone, The laird, n brown, shortcircuit, rustydog, Hilaryann, Curly, marchie, DTF, RichyP, jacquigem, helmit, Ex Greeny, fiona b, izwozral, GeoffL, alwaysared, trixie88, ozzy1955, kevlakes, st3v3, Caz, Moonraker 2, smg, HurricaneSmith, jeanette, campervanannie, calvo, Del668, McHazy, peejay, ironman, jann, Andrewhr, longtoedsloth, Rod, nitram, BM48, Silew, Holasuki, RJH, DavieR, Clunegapyears, GWAYGWAY, Ken Parsons, vtwinner, Biggarmac, AndyC, CWH, Fazerloz, scoobydiver, RSD7a, Rumour, hayhiker, paulhelenwilko, CleverTrevorUK, AndyJL, gdf, Chip, landie50, EllieM, Mothership, Lindaforde, tripper, Owen M, merl, TerryD, Divine Right, Fifer, Mark135, Team ST, Walkingmox, Fat Albert 2, Martin1865, TonyEmm, Thistle, Di1234, Richard Surgey, Ly085, Obanboy666, Elfit, Hogweed, winks, SCRUMPY BOY, Alun100, knowledgeseeker, PopesOnTour, Rob H, JohnClimber, gasgas, Nickrock, alanfleming, AnneL, Matthew362, Sean, Chris Craven, GMJ, Rolyan57, Sharon the Cat, Plusner, Drover, Squeegee, VandA, euro28, Vatsmith, Lib, Chico60, popeye1958, RoaminRog, TORCHIE, Martin P, Herman, WingNut, oppy, Murgzie, TimSands, mike w, Benylin, kwil69, bnb080, Rover, BETTSY, CyderT1N, GeorgeK, coundonroad, Hornet49, Wightman, Rodders1234, NudeJude, Weefifer, FiL, TeamPuffin, Nesting Zombie, JVG, Ched, royh28, Glass man, ravenzero1, Stevie 25, Bazza1509, Greytop, amcjam, b1gb0y112, Big yin, Sgrockle, gripseven, kensowerby, Dezi, The black dug, Geoff C, davidjlambert, Tonymandala, Jiwawa, big tom, gabby82, sydnsue, Moxyman, Dougbobbill, Alfie,
Back