Covid infections

I started at about eleven buying and selling m/bikes, 2.50 first bike, sold on for £5 then a banty 30 bob, sold for £10, well i just kept going and by the time i left school i had gathered the price of a house. (y)
Sadly the Entrepreneur gene passed me by. Lost the lot at 55, took me another 20 years to sort something like a retirement fund. Got the van properly sorted. Then Covid raised it's ugly little head.
One day...........

Del I know people and have members of my family who have never worked a day in there life’s it’s a mind set they see scamming the system as a job I dont even give them the time of day. I’ve worked since I was 15 and never ever claimed benefits of any sort not because I haven’t needed it at times but my pride wouldn’t let me especially after seeing them do it just made me more determined to get out my pisser and do a days graft. Being self employed from a young age helped could always put a bit away for the thin times
Just found the corner from me is one of those, never worked a legit day in his life, the Council fitted a new roof, new kitchen bathroom etc. and he hasn't paid any rent in 25 yrs, a few weeks after the new roof tiles were fitted he had a slight leak which ran down the walls, he bought a worn out sofa and chairs from Facebook and claimed it had been damaged along with his carpets, the council insurance authorised a new sofa/carpets and ac payment for stress, I went to their house before this happened and I wiped my feet when I came out😱.
He was reported (not by me) and after a full investigation he was found guilty of a few fraudulent claims and eventually charged found guilty and evicted, they still had to be re-housed though

There had to be something I liked about you. ;)
I also started early,12, lied about my age, told the local newsagent, who knew my family well, that I was 13. I must have looked, I don't know, 10. Monday to Friday, I could manage the bag, at weekends, it was bigger than me. At a genuine 14, I had a paper round down the hill. The rich end. No tabloids down here. Most houses taking the heavies, and more than one, Friday, The Jewish Chronicle, added a fair bit of weight. On Sunday,a van would take the second half of the round out, and dump it somewhere in the dry for you. The Shop, Ellington's, had about thirty of us kids delivering. How they got away with the School kids working regs,I'll never know. I didn't mind, I was on a £ a week. Christmas boxes in total , remember it was mainly wealthy Jewish folk, would be £ 30- £40. A fortune in 1962. After school, trade bike, grocery deliveries. At 15, When I left school, I was clearing £4. 10s. No stamp. First week's wage. £ 2.10s minus stamp, tea swindle. Didn't take long for me to realize I should go back to the paper round before work.
The only time we had to seek help, was when I had a serious RTA, shortly after buying my first truck. We were laughed ( that's how it felt) out of the job shop. If it wasn't for my Mum and her brother,my uncle we would have gone hungry. Vowed then, never again.

Bit long winded, I know. But like you, I do get a little passionate about idleness and working the system. I do wonder how genuine,first time unemployed will get on, when the smelly stuff hits the fan. Thank goodness I've retired. Oh! at 71.
Similar story apart from after a serious accident spent two years in hospital, lost my business, house and a bit of respect, I couldn't get help but people who had never worked got all the help they needed, we sold our house to our daughter a few days before it would have been repossessed, nobody could help then because we had made ourselves homeless, the whole system is flawed but at least I kept the most important thing in my life but when she nags me I forget 🤔, happier now than when I was earning a lot of money though 🥂

Similar story apart from after a serious accident spent two years in hospital, lost my business, house and a bit of respect, I couldn't get help but people who had never worked got all the help they needed, we sold our house to our daughter a few days before it would have been repossessed, nobody could help then because we had made ourselves homeless, the whole system is flawed but at least I kept the most important thing in my life but when she nags me I forget 🤔, happier now than when I was earning a lot of money though 🥂
The system is a bugger for those legitimately hitting hard times, I feel sorry for the ones that are really struggling now because of Covid and it’s not going to get any better for quite a while yet.

What I would like to know is!! Where has the seasonal winter flu gone? Has C19 killed it off or has it just disappeared, no one seems to get the winter flu anymore, funny that!

What I would like to know is!! Where has the seasonal winter flu gone? Has C19 killed it off or has it just disappeared, no one seems to get the winter flu anymore, funny that!
In normal times flu is passed from oerson to person at social gatherings and in crowded places. Since few people are meeting in these settings flu has been suppressed

Someone i see when i walk the dog has got flu like symptons and it probably is flu as dog walks have to be done irrespective of weather we get soaked and frozen at times - minor drawback of owning a dog i suppose

I never do the flu jab but i dont seem to sniffle for more than a day anyway if i do pick up anything

The measures taken to prevent Coro also help prevent flu transmission. It’s not the same bug but it spreads the same way.

(y)

In normal times flu is passed from oerson to person at social gatherings and in crowded places. Since few people are meeting in these settings flu has been suppressed

(y)

I never do the flu jab but i dont seem to sniffle for more than a day anyway if i do pick up anything

You can never have 'just a touch of flu', there is no such thing.
Real flu knocks you out in a massive way for up to several weeks.

Most people who are sniffling and sneezing have probably caught the 'common cold', or a less harmful virus variant.

I've never had a flu jab either, but I'm definitely not refusing the new vaccines for covid!

I had the flu jab this year for first time ever. Working with immunosuppressed patients for years, never needed it as only had " healthy" people on unit. Any hint of infectious illness and staff and patients kept away, plus good infection control practices. Have never had flu, but feel more at risk this year, plus with covid around want to be as safe as possible. Side effect of all the isolation is that much fewer cases of flu, norovirus and other seasonal infections. Just as well, with hospital capacity issues.

Marie, first winter we’ve had the flu jab, never bothered or even thought about it before, but with Covid around we thought it best to have it, and especially now with this new strain I’m glad we have, -no side effects, (except a slight achy arm from lying on it lol), and we were in and out in minutes.

Used to work in pharmaceutical manufacturing using bulk penicillin g to make 6APA that boosted my immune system at the time certain of that but been out of that for 6 yrs and still dont pick up colds or flu - so dont know why swmbo has colds for weeks and i clear it in a day

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back