Trip to France

All of my vehicles (3) have manual gearboxes and handbrakes. I have always parked in gear with handbrake applied. This means that should one be overlooked when parking the other acts is a failsafe.
I also turn the wheels towards the kerb, either on a hill or flat ground, so short of dropping the anchor, I think I have it fairly well covered.

Davy

Same here, but I also chock all the wheels (both ways if road is anywhere near level), set motion detectors to text my phone if vhicle moves more than 1.5 cm (to allow for rocking), fit clamps to all wheels, chain the chassis to a nearby tree; and sometimes leave SWMBO in the vehicle.

Can't be too careful!

https://www.rha.uk.net/shop/product/DRI010

https://twotyres.co.uk/product/oxford-disc-lock-reminder-cable/ (one end on handbrake, other on door handle)
Nice ideas, but not ideal if exiting via hab door!

Nice ideas, but not ideal if exiting via hab door!

Bit of modification to the wiring diagram and it could work whichever door you exit via. All you need is to wire the doors so that ant contact completes the circuit.

We don't have a map for the trip, so looking for suggestions, Liz prefers ones that show the terrain as we have a liking for the lumpier bits.

Any siggestions?

Hard to tell but that looks more like a population map Pete, you can't really see much from the pictures in the description, I'll see if there is another ad elsewhere.
The Michelin road atlases do give some indication as to the terrain, but no contours, etc.
Michelin used (until, I think, 2018) to do a spiral-bound road atlas, 1:200,000, slightly smaller than A3. This gave good detail and each pair of pages covered a reasonable area.
Someone gave me an AA road atlas of France, IGN mapping, similar presentation to Michelin, 1:180000 so good detail, but pages very slightly larger than A4, so relatively small area per pair of pages and I found it a nightmare to use.
Michelin now appear to do no road atlas larger than A4. With a scale of 1:250,000, this may have less detail than the other two mentioned (or require better lenses!) and cover a larger area than the AA atlas per pair of pages, but I have refrained from purchasing as I find the larger scale and pages of the old road atlas a more useable solution, essentially for general planning. Any changes to road network are covered by satnav apps with online or (regularly updated) offline mapping.

It needs to be a road map just in case we lose sat nag, but show where the mountains are, a terrain map.

AA maps no good I just looked at the page for Skye and it shows the cuillins, but no terrain, not sure they do France anyway though.

A lot of maps show the roads and the terrain like the bottom pic.

1706361313266.jpeg

1706361738201.png

The Michelin road atlases do give some indication as to the terrain, but no contours, etc.
Michelin used (until, I think, 2018) to do a spiral-bound road atlas, 1:200,000, slightly smaller than A3. This gave good detail and each pair of pages covered a reasonable area.
Someone gave me an AA road atlas of France, IGN mapping, similar presentation to Michelin, 1:180000 so good detail, but pages very slightly larger than A4, so relatively small area per pair of pages and I found it a nightmare to use.
Michelin now appear to do no road atlas larger than A4. With a scale of 1:250,000, this may have less detail than the other two mentioned (or require better lenses!) and cover a larger area than the AA atlas per pair of pages, but I have refrained from purchasing as I find the larger scale and pages of the old road atlas a more useable solution, essentially for general planning. Any changes to road network are covered by satnav apps with online or (regularly updated) offline mapping.
We don't need the contours Tom, we're well past walking up the hills, Liz would have a go, I would too but not anymore, too painful.

We have scoured the net for one, but the likely looking ones don't show you anything to go by, hence asking on here in case anyone has one.

I would just get any AA type cheap road atlas of France Kev and just familiarise yourself with the Topographical layout of France. This site will help you. Basically the proper lumpy bits are mainly in the East, South east, far south (Pyrenees) and the central south.

It needs to be a road map just in case we lose sat nag, but show where the mountains are, a terrain map.

AA maps no good I just looked at the page for Skye and it shows the cuillins, but no terrain, not sure they do France anyway though.

A lot of maps show the roads and the terrain like the bottom pic.

View attachment 127705

View attachment 127706
The Michelin road atlases certainly don't show the detail of the terrain in the detail shown in your bottom pic. Not sure what to suggest.

We have started to use the online maps for a well known camping ap . Easy to zoom in or out if needing either detail or the bigger picture.

Back