Trip to France

I need to look for a PDF of French road signs and and some simple translations I phink.

They are mainly just like ours. Pretty obvious. Watch out for the dreaded "Route Barre" that can seriously screw up your day! :D However Google maps will usually find a way round it now I guess. The other thing the French (most of the time) take seriously are "Stop" signs. Even out in the middle of nowhere you are expected to come to a halt even if its obviously clear.

"Avez vous un cuppa?"

That would be a good start for Kev.
"Have you Frogs Legs?"
"No, it's just the way I walk"

(They laughed at school when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now!)

But being serious.... You will find a few YouTube videos that can help get semi-conversational in French pretty quickly, which might be worth checking out. I've never bothered with French as no intention to ever spend more time than I need to in that Country, so my French CSE Grade 5 will suffice :)

"Have you Frogs Legs?"
"No, it's just the way I walk"

(They laughed at school when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now!)

But being serious.... You will find a few YouTube videos that can help get semi-conversational in French pretty quickly, which might be worth checking out. I've never bothered with French as no intention to ever spend more time than I need to in that Country, so my French CSE Grade 5 will suffice :)

I can still speak quite reasonable schoolboy French and be understandable, however the French speak so fast I can barely understand them.

When I was in Russia we got drinking with a few of the locals and they used an audio 'phone app for instant translation whilst speaking to us which worked brilliantly. I guess I won't be going back there though. :(

They are mainly just like ours. Pretty obvious. Watch out for the dreaded "Route Barre" that can seriously screw up your day! :D However Google maps will usually find a way round it now I guess. The other thing the French (most of the time) take seriously are "Stop" signs. Even out in the middle of nowhere you are expected to come to a halt even if its obviously clear.
Aye, it looked like Route Barre meant road closed and a quick googly confirmed it.

I always come to a stop at stop signs as it an offence not to, and of course I'm a law abiding bear.

1703755361030.png
1703755411164.png

Well, I got my passport yesterday so it looks like we are going to France, starting at Dunkirk, Normandy landings, American cemetery etc, then who knows, we do like coast roads, but French villages are lovely too.

I have been before twice, once in 89 and again in 95 both times on Motorcycle so doing it on the wrong side of the road is a bit daunting in a RHD Motorhome, also the rules have changed a bit so I am out of touch now.

So we're planning on 5-6 weeks end of March or Mid April time to set off, but no idea really when is best but we are pretty clueless as to what we have to have with us,.

As we are so far 100% wild campers, I am unsure of the etiquette etc on airs and other places and will try not to use them so any and all tips are most welcome.
we have overnighted en route in a free carpark beside a/the marina. Quiet night and then woken by traffic in the morning.

Crit air finally arrived yesterday.

I think I just need to know where on the screen it's supposed to be stuck, any more info most welcome.

I think I just need to know where on the screen it's supposed to be stuck, any more info most welcome.

Your supposed to slap it on your head Kev. Crucially when you get to your first Aire so the wardens are aware that you have the official sticker when wandering about. Dont forget. It only applies to Brits though so you wont see the French doing it. Something to do with Brexit I think.

The French have always considered themselves more racey than us staid,buttoned up Brits. But everytime I have followed their road signs proclaiming Deviation, I have been sadly disappointed. I've not found anything remotely titillating and it usua\lly takes me longer to get to my destination.

• For cars, light commercial vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches, it is affixed inside the vehicle so that the front is visible from the outside, on the lower right-hand corner of the windscreen;
That is the right-hand side as seen from inside the vehicle. In other words, French nearside, UK offside.
Get it right first time and do NOT attempt to reposition - it is designed to self-destruct if you attempt to peel it off so that it cannot be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

No. Need UK sticker these days. ?????

Also do a bit of research on Crit air (LEZ) stickers, you'll get bills in the post. ?????

Put your wristwatch on the other wrist to remind you to drive on the other side of the roas. Simple but effective. not worn one for forty years

Back