Trip to France

Those bulbs are old hat, change the units to led on tail lamps, leave the indicators and h l bulbs as is.
My fog side lights tail braking side markers and reverse are all changed over. :)

No use to us anyway, we do not imbibe very often and certainly not too much.

the limit there is 50gm per 100ml, here it's 80 per 100

Do I need one of these? and would it suit a 07 Ducato, not intending any night driving.

It depends on your vehicle.

If you have a van conversion then I would nip into Halfords and see if they still sell a kit for the Ducato. Years ago you could buy a kit based on the specific vehicle with all the spares required.

Alternatively look at the instore catalogue and buy one of each required.

If you have a motorhome the rear lights may be different. Additionally you will have marker lights for which you need to know what's used.

On my Dakota for instance the rear marker lights are festoon bulbs and the fronts standard 12v 5w bulbs.

The fronts will be std Duke, the rears are normal stop and tail plus fog and reversing, I may pass on the kit then and just buy a S&T and a couple of indicator bulbs if anything else blows it's not the back of beyond so I'll just nip into a garage.

The fronts will be std Duke, the rears are normal stop and tail plus fog and reversing, I may pass on the kit then and just buy a S&T and a couple of indicator bulbs if anything else blows it's not the back of beyond so I'll just nip into a garage.
There is a chain of auto spares and servicing stores in France called Feu Vert. They are pretty much identical to Halfords. You'll find their stores eveywhere; use Google Maps to search if required.

Silly question but I assume Google will stay as English language, but what about Google maps in France? also is there a decent translator app for Android?

Are you sure ?
About the legal limit yes, or insofar as what Google reports.

France has very strict drink driving laws. The French drink-driving limit is 50mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. Sanctions and Penalties : Drivers found with between 50mg and 80mg of alcohol in your blood can be fined € 135 (£ 112).

Are you sure ?
L
About the legal limit yes, or insofar as what Google reports.

France has very strict drink driving laws. The French drink-driving limit is 50mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. Sanctions and Penalties : Drivers found with between 50mg and 80mg of alcohol in your blood can be fined € 135 (£ 112).
Yes I think that is the French limit

Silly question but I assume Google will stay as English language, but what about Google maps in France? also is there a decent translator app for Android?
Google Translate...

It has many functions, one of the most useful helps you read signs and notices in a foreign language.

Point the camera at the sign and it overlays the English translation.

Very clever.

Google Translate...

It has many functions, one of the most useful helps you read signs and notices in a foreign language.

Very clever.
Yes, Google Translate is definitely the translation engine to use in Android and some apps such as Aires CCI integrate it.
I have known Google Translate to mistranslate (even to the extent of leaving out a "no" or "not" for example, thus providing a meaning opposite to the source text). It has vastly improved over the years but is better in some subject fields than others and works best with simple and unambiguous source text.

I would expect the Google Maps app to be set to System default, which on your devices is presumably English (UK). You can check this by opening the app, pressing on your initial in a coloured circle on the right of the search box, selecting Settings and then checking the app language. I'm not aware of any setting that would make the language location-dependent.
Similarly, if using a browser, Google Maps has a menu including a language setting. You presumably use www.google.com/maps or www.google.co.uk/maps and I would expect these to remain in English irrespective of physical location or location of your data connection. (I have established that in the UK, www.google.fr/maps still displays in English with my Windows and browser setup.)

Google Translate...

Very clever.
Surely that's illegal when driving the same as here.

Those bulbs are old hat, change the units to led on tail lamps, leave the indicators and h l bulbs as is.
My fog side lights tail braking side markers and reverse are all changed over. :)
not always a good idea. you may find on newer vehicles when you fit LED bulbs, you get a bulb failure warning light on the dash. in which case need to get "CANBUS compatible" ones (of which many are on sale described as such but are not really - buyer beware!)

Back