Trip to France

Wouldn't have it as a gift Trev, they ruined it with all the add ons, Organic maps is far better but the question was about Autoroute, I have a few map apps and sat nags, Autoroute is much better in many ways even though it is ten years out of date, I do have 07 on CD already.

I don't have a CD drive in the laptop so wondered if there was a flash version and found this, might just give it a go, handy for basic route planning perhaps.

Opinions welcome..

It may or not work. There was a long thread on FACTS about it a few years back and people were have big problems getting it running on Windows 10. I seem to remember you had to run the installer as Administrator but some couldnt get it to work. Mine did of course. It was still a useful program last time we toured Europe which is a few years back now though. You could get all the POI like Aires etc for it. Not sure I would bother now though with Google Maps.

Yes, I'm in two minds, but I liked that you can set up different journeys on it and save them, also I used to use it as a sat nag in my courier days and still have the USB antenna.

Wouldn't have it as a gift Trev, they ruined it with all the add ons, Organic maps is far better but the question was about Autoroute, I have a few map apps and sat nags, Autoroute is much better in many ways even though it is ten years out of date, I do have 07 on CD already.
Might be OK for general planning, but I'd be wary of using it for navigation with the various changes in the road network. Autoroute 2013 mapping is probably 12 years out of date by now. In addition to new roads and changed layouts (a few of which still hadn't found their way into the latest mapping updates last year), there is also the matter of speed limits and tolls if these are matters of concern. For example, some former sections of routes nationales are now toll motorways.
I use the CoPilot app (on an Android head unit, offline maps, online traffic info) in the motorhome, paying an annual subscription for extra bells and whistles, including the ability to specify dimensions and weight. It has some useful configuration options relating to tolls, clean air zones, etc.

No Tom, just really good for route planning different possibilities checking milage etc, crap for navigation and I don't want anything that big on the dash it was okay for work as I had in a box with a seatbelt around it.

Not short of apps
1706707410468.png

I have it on my laptop, but it's a bit crap compared to what I get on Chrome/Google Trev, it is only good for playing YouTube videos.

I can copy and paste on it, Linux can't :D :D :D :D

I have it on my laptop, but it's a bit crap compared to what I get on Chrome/Google Trev, it is only good for playing YouTube videos.

Nothing wrong with Google Chrome. Their free remote desktop extension is fantastic. I pretty much use it all the time for supporting old clients from the van or anywhere in the world really. Saves spending a small fortune on teamviewer as its free!

Well, I got my passport yesterday so it looks like we are going to France, starting at Dunkirk, Normandy landings, American cemetery etc, then who knows, we do like coast roads, but French villages are lovely too.

I have been before twice, once in 89 and again in 95 both times on Motorcycle so doing it on the wrong side of the road is a bit daunting in a RHD Motorhome, also the rules have changed a bit so I am out of touch now.

So we're planning on 5-6 weeks end of March or Mid April time to set off, but no idea really when is best but we are pretty clueless as to what we have to have with us,.

As we are so far 100% wild campers, I am unsure of the etiquette etc on airs and other places and will try not to use them so any and all tips are most welcome.
Free aires are a no brainer, often in or very near a village so a trip to the locall bakery before breakfast for a - your choice of yummies!
On the coastal rd we found some nice places, but the sun was shining.
You must not use your awning or put tables and chairs out in a aire. I think chocs are the only thing allowed but as we never use them i can't be certain.
Well, I got my passport yesterday so it looks like we are going to France, starting at Dunkirk, Normandy landings, American cemetery etc, then who knows, we do like coast roads, but French villages are lovely too.

I have been before twice, once in 89 and again in 95 both times on Motorcycle so doing it on the wrong side of the road is a bit daunting in a RHD Motorhome, also the rules have changed a bit so I am out of touch now.

So we're planning on 5-6 weeks end of March or Mid April time to set off, but no idea really when is best but we are pretty clueless as to what we have to have with us,.

As we are so far 100% wild campers, I am unsure of the etiquette etc on airs and other places and will try not to use them so any and all tips are most welcome.

If you are getting on a bit you may find that five weeks is cheaper on health insurance than six weeks.

Free aires are a no brainer, often in or very near a village so a trip to the locall bakery before breakfast for a - your choice of yummies!
On the coastal rd we found some nice places, but the sun was shining.
You must not use your awning or put tables and chairs out in a aire. I think chocs are the only thing allowed but as we never use them i can't be certain.

In my vast experience of Aires everyone puts out chairs and often sun canopies. You will never see an actual "proper tent awning" but camping behaviour on many is the norm. Even in the crammed in ones which I wont use people sit outside behind or in front of their vans. Aires differ so much though. Some are fabulous, others are awful. Research needed.

It can my mate showed me but brain is fried, also you have to set brave up in the settings for a clear screen with no crap, takes about 10 mins, i posted the settings and still have them, by the way linux also uses chrome, its in the repository to download, also its own version chromum, not fond of it though. :(
google web.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Cherbourg Peninsula is great. I spent 3 weeks going down the west coast in August/September and only got halfway down it. The north and east coasts are worth doing as well. Possible to overnight by the lighthouse at Gatteville, and Barfleur and Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue are both Plus Beaux Villages and worth a visit. Brittany also has many superb locations, both coastal and inland.

I tend to go over in March for my early trip, sometimes late March, sometimes mid-March, and the weather varies from year to year, sometimes far kinder than the UK but on the odd occasion requiring a fast run down to the Med. On the western side of France, if the weather is wet/cold to the north of the Loire, it is often better south of the river. I have often found t-shirt and shorts weather in the Charente Maritime in late March, though the occasional year has required me to travel somewhat further south.
I have seldom encountered any issues in France with aires or wilding spots being full, even in August or on public holidays. Definitely make use of the aires, but bear in mind that they are generally not to be treated as campsites, so no awnings/tables/chairs out, though the "rules" are somewhat more relaxed on some of them - generally just a matter of common sense. In general, aires cannot be pre-booked - just turn up and find a space - though there are a number where this is possible. Aires operated by CampingCarPark require you to purchase a card that can then be loaded with funds to enable you to enter and pay, Many aires are entirely free, some charge for parking, some charge for services, requiring payment using coins, tokens (obtainable by different means in different places) or bank card.
The WildCamping Location App has a vast number of locations in France, some aires, some wilding, and many of them in superb spots alongside lakes and inland waterways as well as on the coast.
https://www.campingcar-infos.com/view.php is also useful (and there is also an Android app that costs €5 for 3 months if you want to use all features). On the website, just click on the magnifying glass in the top left corner of the map in order to search by name, coordinates, etc,

As for what to take: passports; UK sticker; hi-viz jackets; warning triangle; vehicle papers; travel insurance. Spare bulbs and first aid kit can be a good idea as well. RHD should not be a major issue unless you plan on rally driving. High driving position gives far better visibility than if you were in a car, so only HGVs might be an issue, and I've seldom found them driving much slower than I would wish to in any case.
Obtain a GHIC card from gov.uk this will give you medical treatment for illnesses or accidents, in some cases you may need to claim it back. Driving on the right is not too difficult, it really helps to have a passenger who can drive, don't stress about it, enjoy the change. A good sat nav is invaluable if you can put in the dimensions of your van. You can get a book of 'All the Aires'https://www.vicarious-shop.com/products/all-the-aires-france-north-and-south-5th-editions, they also stock stickers of speed conversions and one for the dimensions of your van. The aires in most cases are free, some even have free power, usually they have plenty of space unless in a busy area or somewhere popular. If very busy you might get just enough space to open your door, but not much more. The big advantage is they have the facilities to empty waste and take on water. Two other places to try if you feel like it or are interested, Le Mans, and the Loire Valley. If there is racing going on at Le Mans it will be busy, but you will find plenty of interest in the Loire. Good luck with your travels, you will soon be back!

For France and most of EU, you can have a UK sticker if you have anything other than UK on your number plate.

Spain, Malta and Cyprus, you need a UK sticker even if you have UK identifier on number plate.

Don't forget a couple of hi viz jackets, and always good idea to have full set of spare bulbs, even if you don't know how to change them :p :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Brother from another mother, can't do with other people, Liz is very gregarious but not so much when we're in the van parked up, I gave her a warning early on that we don't know these people and their motives so be polite then tell em to feck off, our greatest fear is that BarryD pulling in behind us one day.

Got the WC app and the others we're not allowed to mention already installed on tabs n phones, I have 100gb per month for £10 on Voda via TalkMobile
We bought a small travel modem and a sim card for 'Free' which was the cheapest at the time, worth checking out as we then have wifi as and when we need it, so long as there is a signal. There are many more gaps in signal than in UK. Should you break down on an autoroute (payable or free) it is useful to know that you call the police in the first instance, they will want the number of where you are, most are in the middle of the carriageway. We have the RAC Arrival recovery and breakdown via the Camping and Caravan Club, it has been invaluable to us with our elderly Hymer, worth every penny!

When I went on the BMW in 89 we stayed on Municipal sites, are they still a thing or have they turned into aires?
The municipal sites are still there as they cater for tents and caravans too. I have had a Michelin Camping Guide which gave those details, they could be on line now.

The municipal sites are still there as they cater for tents and caravans too. I have had a Michelin Camping Guide which gave those details, they could be on line now.
A lot of municipal sites have joined ‘Camping car park’ scheme as have many Aires, they administer them and presumably split the profits. In a way it’s a good thing as it extends the opening times,some all year round. I joined the club this last trip and to be honest found it to be excellent, not free but good value.

We're really hoping to wild camp as we do not like being too close to others at all, so Aires for the facilities will be nice but if crowded we will move on.

We bought a small travel modem and a sim card for 'Free' which was the cheapest at the time, worth checking out as we then have wifi as and when we need it, so long as there is a signal. There are many more gaps in signal than in UK. Should you break down on an autoroute (payable or free) it is useful to know that you call the police in the first instance, they will want the number of where you are, most are in the middle of the carriageway. We have the RAC Arrival recovery and breakdown via the Camping and Caravan Club, it has been invaluable to us with our elderly Hymer, worth every penny!
I looked at Free a few years ago and saw that they required a French address. I did use Réglo Mobile (Leclerc MVNO piggybacked on SFR) for a couple of trips, but they do not permit use of mobile routers, so on my last 2 trips I used UK MVNOs who offer larger monthly EU roaming allowance than most and was able to use the SIM cards in my router. The big advantage of using a UK provider is that one can use any of the French networks, so that one is less likely to encounter issues of no coverage (though it can still happen in remote places).

Back