Trip to France

Wild camping.

France has a much less restrictive policy than the UK.

By law you are allowed to park and sleep in your vehicle in any location on public land that does not have an explicit restriction and provided you are not infringing traffic laws.

French drivers are generally much politer and give way to motorhomes on the road should there be a road narrowing for example.

Given that motorhomes are significantly more popular in France it is perhaps unsurprising.

Put a sticker on your steering wheel centre.

BIG

Bum In Gutter!

The time when you are most likely to get it wrong is if you're turning right onto a dual carriageway. Instinct takes over so take care!

as you know Kev we always "do" France every year with motorbike in tow.
Never been that early in the year though and we always stop at campsites anyway.
If you are going to Dunkirk then its a bit of a trek WEST to do the WW2 Normandy landing sites etc..
think that you would be best off doing Portsmouth to Caen really with Brittany ferries (a nice overnight crossing)
Anyway.. enjoy your trip and don't forget to stock up on some good old British bacon before you leave as the froggies equivalent is just some wafer-thin shite ham stuff ;)
Yes, unless you wish to visit Dunkerque particularly, the central Channel routes have much to recommend them.

Put a sticker on your steering wheel centre.

BIG

Bum In Gutter!

The time when you are most likely to get it wrong is if you're turning right onto a dual carriageway. Instinct takes over so take care!
Or perhaps when setting off again after having parked on the left!

If you like sausages, can I suggest you partake in a local delicacy called Andouillettes as I am certain you will never have experienced anything quite so unusual.

I think I still have all the original crap I bought off Ebay under my drivers seat unopened for France from 15 years ago. Hi Viz Jackets, bulbs, crappy triangles. Never used any of it and I stopped bothering with the headlight stickers yonks ago. If you dont drive at night it wont be an issue anyway.

As for the French LPG adaptor its a much easier fill than it is here Kev. I wish ours were the same. Such a faff in comparison.

This might not apply to you but another little thing I always found useful in France was one of those plug in plug testers on a short lead with an EHU plug on the other end. The number of EHU sockets you go to only to find they are not working after you rolled out 25 metres of Ehu cable can be quite annoying.

Dont know if its still the case but there used to be a few Aires that not only were free but also had free electric. Usually out in the sticks. You might finally be able to use your toilet Kev as emptying in France is as easy as getting diesel here (Actually easier). More Aires than you can shake a stick at and to empty at a service point is pretty much always free.

I think I still have all the original crap I bought off Ebay under my drivers seat unopened for France from 15 years ago. Hi Viz Jackets, bulbs, crappy triangles. Never used any of it and I stopped bothering with the headlight stickers yonks ago. If you dont drive at night it wont be an issue anyway.
As you hate French rules, you must have voted for Brexit. 😈

DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe crossing is a better option than Dover/Calais or Dunkerque for the DDay beaches from where you are starting from. Admittedly not as near as Portsmouth/Caen or Cherbourg but usually a good bit cheaper,but do check, you sometimes get a nice surprise. Find the crossing you want on DFDS site, then phone them for 20% discount if any of your party are 60 and over. I'm going mid Feb, return May for £138 for 6m van,not bad.

OMG whatever did poor @Pudsey Bear do to you that would make you suggest such a cruel thing?

I love France. I love French food. But andouillettes are truly the work of the devil. Disgusting doesn't even come close.
Some years ago I had andouilletes, never tried them before or again.
The best way I've found to describe them is a durex filled with rubber bands.
🤑🤢🤮

I hate you all, you’ve spoilt my suggestion with your prejudiced rants against this delightful, fragrant and tasty offering from the heights of French cuisine :ROFLMAO: . Now Kev will never know the delight of cooking up rancid pushbike inner tubes

I must say I also have a string dislike of Toulouse sausages as well.

Back