Trip to France

When we lived in France there was no need for a Relais Routiers website (the web didn’t really exist then in any case!). If there were loads of lorry’s parked up in a huge layby with a cafe beside it you knew it would be worth eating there.
Very true . Pudsey commented on limited choice but that is how they operate. Usually a choice of 2 dishes each course .
The best restaurants don't have huge menus . The bigger the menu the more compromises that have to be made in the kitchen .

Just having lunch here.
Screenshot_20240524-134605_Maps.jpg

Regarding the tower, I got chatting to a yank at Monets garden who is on a river cruise and is going to the tower so I swapped pics of and from the tower for my YP recipe.

Nope, not found one yet Marie, possibly because we stay of trucking routes most of the time.
When I was renovating our house near Huelgoat I dined at the local router every day, one occasion I was so tired I fell asleep at the table after lunch ,when I woke up about 3 in the afternoon I discovered they’d sectioned off half the restaurant so as not to wake me up! Now that’s service you don’t get every day.😅

I like Normandy Kev as said before. It's worth exploring right round the coast sticky out bit. I think you will like it.

When I was renovating our house near Huelgoat I dined at the local router every day, one occasion I was so tired I fell asleep at the table after lunch ,when I woke up about 3 in the afternoon I discovered they’d sectioned off half the restaurant so as not to wake me up! Now that’s service you don’t get every day.😅
Tired as a rat

We're here for tonight.
Screenshot_20240524-134605_Maps.jpg

When you say so elephantly "sticky out bits" did you mean Brest, or the pointy uppy sticky up bits? And is there more, any of this worth doing?

Screenshot_20240524-170402_Maps.jpg

We're here for tonight.

When you say so elephantly "sticky out bits" did you mean Brest, or the pointy uppy sticky up bits? And is there more, any of this worth doing?

I think, based on a previous post or posts, that @barryd was referring to the Cherbourg peninsula. He mentioned inter alia, the phare de Gatteville. There are other places that may be worth visiting, subject to surfaces being suitable for your scooter. I am thinking in particular of two Plus Beaux Villages de France: Barfleur and Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue. Lots of nice places in Brittany as well. You could always get the ferry back from Roscoff to Plymouth and return home via A38, M5, M6!

Note that the webpage to which you link above manages to completely ignore that there were 5 landing beaches, not 4! They've forgotten Utah.

At the rate you're going, you'll be well clear of the D-Day beaches by the anniversary, but worth noting that there is a very large Regulated/Restricted Traffic Zone; if you intend to travel within this on 6 June, you need to obtain a sticker for your vehicle. https://80e-normandie.fr/en/news/80th-anniversary-d-day-traffic-restrictions-unveiled

We're here for tonight.
View attachment 131639

View attachment 131640

The first sticky out bit is what I call the Cherbourg peninsula.

This bit.

Yeah its nice and laid back and quiet which you might like. I think I pointed out the cracking wild spot at Gattville Phare (Lighthouse) near Barfleur. If you are doing the D Day beaches have a ride around the peninsula. The other bit St Malo and along that coast is Brittany which IMO is even better but it will be busier. Brittany has more Aires than any other region I believe. They even sell toy souvenir motorhomes in the gift shops. If you are into beaches and quaint villages thats your place. Its a bit like Devon just with better roads and the motorways are all free so you can belt along the north and south bits left to right or right to left quite quickly and get off to see the bits you want to see easily.

Cheers Tom, we'll be back in the UK on the 4th I think.

Liz just reminded me.

We were sat playing cards last night in a forest clearing we found yesterday afternoon, I saw a flash, and then straight away the most enormous thunder clap right over our heads we nearly shite ourselves.

Cheers Tom, we'll be back in the UK on the 4th I think.

Liz just reminded me.

We were sat playing cards last night in a forest clearing we found yesterday afternoon, I saw a flash, and then straight away the most enormous thunder clap right over our heads we nearly shite ourselves.
Shat is the correct verb

Back