Trip to France

Nah, she's fine, I'm not one to let her bully me but there are pressures to be back early June appointments etc, but we also have a few places to visit if possible, wants to do at least one chateau, and I want to do Normandy stuff.
Village of ORADOUR~SU~GLANE is well worth a visit all so a bloody good truck stop at Limoges bloody good food you would like it

Village of ORADOUR~SU~GLANE is well worth a visit all so a bloody good truck stop at Limoges bloody good food you would like it
Well past there now GG, off up to Monets garden tomorrow for Friday morning then going to see how far away from Paris I can be and still get a half decent picture of that bloody Blackpool tower copy before heading oer towards the Normandy area for a few days.

Been meaning to ask since we got here on a well.know app with a 4 in it.

What does this mean? I thought it was a price but some free ones have it.

Screenshot_20240522-211514_Gallery.jpg

Find a relais routiers. Always good for lunch.

Still see them having a drink at lunchtime .
Small towns usually have at least one bar doing a lunch . Usually 3 courses for not too much .
Relais routers are always good value though quite a few seem to have shut down

We haven't managed to find one yet.

Relais Routiers were blummin' fantastic and the food used to be second to none, we ate at them a lot when I camped around France with my parents as a teenager, but that was 50 years ago! 😲🥴🫨😂

This is their website, it's in French (obvs!) but they do have an interactive map with all the current ones marked, so you just need to click to see if there are any nearby?

https://www.relais-routiers.com

We did find a truckers stop this afternoon, we went in they even had an English translated menu but it was pretty limited so Liz asked for 2 coffees and sat down, this crazy woman came over shouting at us for where we had sat, moved us to another table but removed all the cutlery glasses etc, went to where we had sat noisily moved the chairs, we left the coffee un drunk on the table and left, some irate bloke followed us out as we hadn't paid, so I went back in showed him the coffees and told him non account and walked out he followed me again and I shrugged and fired up the van.

The coffee wasn't what Liz asked for but espresso.

We did find a truckers stop this afternoon, we went in they even had an English translated menu but it was pretty limited so Liz asked for 2 coffees and sat down, this crazy woman came over shouting at us for where we had sat, moved us to another table but removed all the cutlery glasses etc, went to where we had sat noisily moved the chairs, we left the coffee un drunk on the table and left, some irate bloke followed us out as we hadn't paid, so I went back in showed him the coffees and told him non account and walked out he followed me again and I shrugged and fired up the van.

The coffee wasn't what Liz asked for but espresso.

But was it an actual Relais Routiers, Kev?

Nope, not found one yet Marie, possibly because we stay of trucking routes most of the time.

?

What's a "trucking route"? Remember I was last there 50 years ago! :ROFLMAO:

Do you mean the new Toll Roads?

I don't remember any of the ones we visited being anywhere industrial, they all seemed to be in or near little country towns and villages, but maybe my memory is playing tricks. It was a long time ago 🤷‍♀️

I do remember eating the best langoustines ever in one of them though! 😋😋😋

Last edited:
Dunno where you are, but just did a random search to see how well the relais routiers map worked and found this one very near a chateau 🤷‍♀️

Link: Relais Maximilien (Sully-sur-Loire)

"Although the keep of the Sully castle dates from 1366, major modifications were made to it by Maximilien de Béthune who bought it in 1602. The name of the restaurant, which recalls the history, makes us want to visit it, as well as the town of Sully sur Loire, listed as a UNESCO world heritage site"

I'm sure there will be more routiers listed along the Loire valley etc.?

There's an Aldi in the town too! ;) (y)😁

Last edited:
Dunno where you are, but just did a random search to see how well the relais routiers map worked and found this one very near a chateau 🤷‍♀️

Link: Relais Maximilien (Sully-sur-Loire)

"Although the keep of the Sully castle dates from 1366, major modifications were made to it by Maximilien de Béthune who bought it in 1602. The name of the restaurant, which recalls the history, makes us want to visit it, as well as the town of Sully sur Loire, listed as a UNESCO world heritage site"

I'm sure there will be more routiers listed along the Loire valley etc.?

There's an Aldi in the town too! ;) (y)😁
Nice free aire at Sully and impressive castle and town.

?

What's a "trucking route"? Remember I was last there 50 years ago! :ROFLMAO:

Do you mean the new Toll Roads?

I don't remember any of the ones we visited being anywhere industrial, they all seemed to be in or near little country towns and villages, but maybe my memory is playing tricks. It was a long time ago 🤷‍♀️

I do remember eating the best langoustines ever in one of them though! 😋😋😋
Trucks have timescales and delivery times and targets, we don't, so we avoid the trunk roads whenever we can as we hate to hold up working people.

When we lived in France there was no need for a Relais Routiers website (the web didn’t really exist then in any case!). If there were loads of lorry’s parked up in a huge layby with a cafe beside it you knew it would be worth eating there.
That's why we stopped Tony, wont be doing it again, but we do use truck stops at home if going past one.

Back