Trip to France

Too early in the day for that, can't do the miles and see stuff sat in an aire.

I am extremely impressed with what these Frenchies and Swiss rolls can do with a few tons of old pallets.

I Cant remember how far it is from the town though or how far you two can walk but the whole point of that aire as grim as it is I think is that its close to the town. Would have been a good one for your scooter I would think. You dont have to stay overnight on them but often they are great to park up and explore the towns and villages etc for a few hours. I am sure there are bus services around the lake also.

Lake Bourget might be more your sort of thing if you dont like busy. Its quieter. The ride around the far side of the lake is stunning.

Every time we have been there its been scorchio. Superb swimming in both lakes of course.

No where to park in Annecy was a bonus. :)

It's all good from now on. You heading into Switzerland then Italy after Chamonix, if not doing the tunnel? I wouldn't fork out for the tunnel either.
Not doing Chamonix from Annecy, no point going just pissing down and low cloud so nothing to see we're headed towards Albertville right now, we got some truly great pastries on this road so doing a little detour to get some more, in this road the D1212 there are a few short tunnels, yesterday in one of them some seriously stupid tw@ in a Fiat 500 decided to pass
Yes, that can be a problem with the 4 site. One of the reasons that I never use it.
I discovered a way around that Tom, click the pic, then let it do the navigation by Goollgle maps select the player icon and turn on street view, and back out one step, tap the street view icon bottom left and yo can see the POI hopefully.

Not doing Chamonix from Annecy, no point going just pissing down and low cloud so nothing to see we're headed towards Albertville right now, we got some truly great pastries on this road so doing a little detour to get some more, in this road the D1212 there are a few short tunnels, yesterday in one of them some seriously stupid tw@ in a Fiat 500 decided to pass

I discovered a way around that Tom, click the pic, then let it do the navigation by Goollgle maps select the player icon and turn on street view, and back out one step, tap the street view icon bottom left and yo can see the POI hopefully.

Hang fire a bit Kev. Looks naff for today and tomorrow but after that pretty good.

This is Enchastrayes 3 hours ago at about 5000ft before you get to Col de la Bonette which I think is about 9000ft. So he aint getting up there unless he has a Chinook! :D My brakes set on fire coming down La Bonette. Fab ride up there though. Too early though and its well south of where Kev is.

Apparently the snow gates are still closed in some places, but we're not going up that high, I'm okay but no point in me going if Liz isn't going to enjoy it is there.

Is it intended to connect via the USB-C connector to your phone?

If so after it's plugged in you should be able to view the contents in whichever file utility you have on your phone.

It will be labelled USB device or similar.

Select the files by clicking on them (technique to do this can vary) and then copying to the required destination folder on your phone.
I'd forgotten I'd packed a laptop so just dumped the files on there and formatted the sd card and put it back in.

I Cant remember how far it is from the town though or how far you two can walk but the whole point of that aire as grim as it is I think is that its close to the town. Would have been a good one for your scooter I would think. You dont have to stay overnight on them but often they are great to park up and explore the towns and villages etc for a few hours. I am sure there are bus services around the lake also.

Lake Bourget might be more your sort of thing if you dont like busy. Its quieter. The ride around the far side of the lake is stunning.

Every time we have been there its been scorchio. Superb swimming in both lakes of course.
Not a lot of walking anymore, Liz can but she won't leave me in the van, most of my walking so far has been in Aldi they get better stuff than we do but I'd never use it now.

Hang fire a bit Kev. Looks naff for today and tomorrow but after that pretty good.

We have some grub but nothing much so will have to go down or up or stay here the night.

Undecided.

Not a lot of walking anymore, Liz can but she won't leave me in the van, most of my walking so far has been in Aldi they get better stuff than we do but I'd never use it now.

Do you not have your scooter with you? Can't remember. I sympathise though not being able to walk far.

Apparently the snow gates are still closed in some places, but we're not going up that high, I'm okay but no point in me going if Liz isn't going to enjoy it is there.
Yeah I think La Bonette was a bit of a joke! :D The only scary bit is the last couple of hundred yards though really from memory.

Great memories. Actually thats a good idea. I have a few vids of various place done mainly on the scooter. Show them to Liz Kev. None of them are mega Scary. The Verdon Gorges one does look a bit scary but thats probably my riding. :D Most of that is not scary though but spectacular.

A bit further south than where you are now but the Verdon Gorges and Lac St Croix are amazing.

Loads more in this play list including the Pyrenees if you get that far

Yes, but you have to park the van first which has been the problem and apart from two days it's been torrential rain, not fun sitting in a puddle, ask Michelle.
You want me to ask Michelle if its any fun sitting in puddles? :LOL:

Thats what the Aires are for Kev. As said, many of them are near places where you can visit towns or villages nearby and use your scooter. Obviously if its chucking it down its not much fun but again, many are not far from bars, restaurants, cafes, museums etc. Its either that or monopoly or scrabble in the van! :D That Meteo france site I linked to is usually pretty good. The front page generally gives you a map of the whole of France and you can scroll through the days ahead to see where its likely to be any good.

We had to move from there, it wasn't clearing up so I waited for a slow moving car and followed it down and we eventually dropped down out of the clouds and headed in the general direction of Grenoble, spotted a handy Aldi and looked to see if there was a place to stop for the night and we're near Detrier.

We went back to the patisserie from Sunday and bought some more goodies.

Screenshot_20240506-162112_Organic Maps.jpg

You want me to ask Michelle if its any fun sitting in puddles? :LOL:

Thats what the Aires are for Kev. As said, many of them are near places where you can visit towns or villages nearby and use your scooter. Obviously if its chucking it down its not much fun but again, many are not far from bars, restaurants, cafes, museums etc. Its either that or monopoly or scrabble in the van! :D That Meteo france site I linked to is usually pretty good. The front page generally gives you a map of the whole of France and you can scroll through the days ahead to see where its likely to be any good.
Look into that.

On the road to Ugine yesterday there is a series of short tunnels, one has a quite a bend in it and some nutter in a Fiat 500 thing decided we were too slow for him 3.5t pickup coming the other way made him think again, lots of squealing of tyres but no bang, and today as we came out of Aldi on a fairly wide road another idiot passed me on my drivers side ad I was moving over to allow him to pass on the correct side, he did it to two cars in front of me as well.

As for using the scooter, having to is a real downer before getting out of the van which requires a bit of cooperation from Liz who is the most impractical person and doesn't take instruction well, she also uses it to pile stuff on so it makes for a task, so it's just easier not bother with it unless it is going to be worthwhile getting out put at all, I bet if she'd paid for it though it would get more use.

So far it is unused on this trip.

As for using the scooter, having to is a real downer before getting out of the van which requires a bit of cooperation from Liz who is the most impractical person and doesn't take instruction well, she also uses it to pile stuff on so it makes for a task, so it's just easier not bother with it unless it is going to be worthwhile getting out put at all, I bet if she'd paid for it though it would get more use.

So far it is unused on this trip.

Maybe if you found somewhere you really liked you could stay a few days in one place and then get it out for a bit longer. I know you like to get a wiggle on each day which is the opposite of what we do these days. Just thinking it might able you to see a bit more and relax a bit.

Looks like you are heading south faster than I can keep up! After Grenoble, Drone is quite a nice area if you like little old Villages etc. Its on the way to Provence which is of course fab. What are the general plans now? Are you just doing a big circuit of the whole country?

Back