Trip to France

For years just went away with whatever cash was left from last trip, whether it €20 or €200 and mainly used card and got a bit of cash from ATM if needed.

Last year, in Germany mainly, came across loads of places like cafes, bakers, even campsites that only took cash. Was a bit of a shock how many places only took cash after years of mainly using card.
Yet to come across a fuel station that won't take a card though.

Liz has a Virgin money card no charges, so she pays on that and I reimburse her as I'm paying for the fuel.

She's thinking of taking £1k & me £500 I'm sure/hope that is too much, I have it in my mind that should we need assistance from a mechanic/garage a € goes a lot further than plastic will in some instances.

Liz has a Virgin money card no charges, so she pays on that and I reimburse her as I'm paying for the fuel.

She's thinking of taking £1k & me £500 I'm sure/hope that is too much, I have it in my mind that should we need assistance from a mechanic/garage a € goes a lot further than plastic will in some instances.
Why so much if you have a card you can use ATM with no charges?

Only time I've taken extra cash for recovery/mechanic is Morocco, where at the time it would cost around 500 to get recovery from the desert to Spain. That's 500 £'s, €'s or $'s, but not Dirhams.

Don't knock all the autoroute service aires. I've slept in them plenty times, some have a separate area away from HGV's.
Now camping car aires I avoid, unless in the middle of nowhere.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d8LExpCsAH1jymmm8
Just another idea that we employ. We always choose and Aire on the autoroute that does not have fuel stations. They tend to be a lot quieter. (Assuming you dont need fuel)

Why so much if you have a card you can use ATM with no charges?

Only time I've taken extra cash for recovery/mechanic is Morocco, where at the time it would cost around 500 to get recovery from the desert to Spain. That's 500 £'s, €'s or $'s, but not Dirhams.
Best not to argue with Liz Mark, small shops in small towns might prefer cash, we'll be doing bricants etc too, we like a bargain and I imagine cash is also king in France.

Last edited:

Pretty much everywhere in France takes cards Kev like here. I wouldn't carry more than fifty Euros in cash myself. In fact there was a running joke on my last trip that the last two months I had just six euros in my wallet and still had it at Dover. 🤣

Best not to argue Mark, small shops in small towns might prefer cash, we'll be doing bricants etc too, we like a bargain and I imagine cash is also king in France.
We usually have a grand in the safe and I have a Halifax credit card that doesn't charge when abroad. Do, however, make sure that you have some low denomination euros or you may, like us, end up with half a hundredweight of shrapnel 'cos village shops love to unload all their 1s & 2s on poor unsuspecting visitors.
But what the heck, you can always weigh them in when you get home. Anyway just get out there and have a great time and if you do need some small change, just nip over the Snake and we'll be happy to donate to your travelling funds

Halifax Clarity Credit card was always the weapon of choice. Best exchange rate and no interest charged if you pay it off each month. I hardly ever used cash in France except at some markets etc.
You can (could?) also draw cash without charge at many atms providing you replaced it by electronic banking same /next day.

You can (could?) also draw cash without charge at many atms providing you replaced it by electronic banking same /next day.

Yep. I used to do that but I dont think I replaced it in the same day. It was always a pretty good rate anyway I think. Don't remember if there were any charges or not. Way better than carrying large amounts of cash about I think and your likely getting a much better rate than whoever you buy Euros from here in the UK.

We usually have a grand in the safe and I have a Halifax credit card that doesn't charge when abroad. Do, however, make sure that you have some low denomination euros or you may, like us, end up with half a hundredweight of shrapnel 'cos village shops love to unload all their 1s & 2s on poor unsuspecting visitors.
But what the heck, you can always weigh them in when you get home. Anyway just get out there and have a great time and if you do need some small change, just nip over the Snake and we'll be happy to donate to your travelling funds

Might have a handful of Francs laying about I can donate. Someone will want them :LOL:
Might have some CFA's too, always worth a try.

You can get a pair of UK stickers on Amazon, they fit neatly over the GB on your number plates.
Thanks Lindi :) :)

I bought those about the same time I started this thread along with a Crit Air sticker and triangles, Hi Vis etc.

Back