The camping and caravan clubs anti wild camping letter.

Fisherman

Write letters to the CCC mag if you want to change things. Moaning on here will have no effect, but lots of(moderate) letters to the club will be noticed. I have written three times to the CCC, my last email containing my reply to mr Currie. Post 65. I doubt that I will be alone. Or possibly some won’t reply, but just leave without writing. if you wish to contact them it’s Mailbag@campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Last edited:

Biggarmac

Thanks for putting the link up again. I have had a look at the original article which provoked the letter as well as the reply from the editor. I will be making a plea for more facilities such as the South Harris Trust and others. Its no use just complaining you have to put forward explanations and suggestions.

Fisherman

Thanks for putting the link up again. I have had a look at the original article which provoked the letter as well as the reply from the editor. I will be making a plea for more facilities such as the South Harris Trust and others. Its no use just complaining you have to put forward explanations and suggestions. So we just ignore a letter that was written by someone clearly with an axe to grind, who is clearly contemptuous of us, who states that what we do is illegal, referring to an act that has nothing to do with us, and creates an impression that we empty our cassettes wherever we want, don’t give a dam about the locals wherever we go, and generally speaking are just a bunch of inconsiderate, selfish people. And an editor who backs up his claim that what we do is illegal, and tells us we should only ever use official campsites. Sorry for me and I am sure many others a line was crossed. As for putting forward suggestions that’s another issue. First and before anyone will...

antiquesam

Motorhomes I would say the majority I have spoken have done some wild camping Sam. But this guy claims to own a camper van, I reckon the vast majority of them wild camp. Bottom line if the CCC have say 100,000 Motorhome users, they just slapped around 50-60,000 of their members in the face. Hardly good business practice. Like you I'm surprised at the thinking but new vans don't seem to be built for wilding. They have a toilet cassette the size of a p*spot, a fridge that has to be level, an electric hob and 230v outside socket.

Fisherman

Like you I'm surprised at the thinking but new vans don't seem to be built for wilding. They have a toilet cassette the size of a p*spot, a fridge that has to be level, an electric hob and 230v outside socket. A home from home Sam :)

Biggarmac

So we just ignore a letter that was written by someone clearly with an axe to grind, who is clearly contemptuous of us, who states that what we do is illegal, referring to an act that has nothing to do with us, and creates an impression that we empty our cassettes wherever we want, don’t give a dam about the locals wherever we go, and generally speaking are just a bunch of inconsiderate, selfish people. And an editor who backs up his claim that what we do is illegal, and tells us we should only ever use official campsites. Sorry for me and I am sure many others a line was crossed. As for putting forward suggestions that’s another issue. First and before anyone will take notice of any such suggestions, I think it’s important that such a biased letter should be challenged. If it’s not challenged then it will simply be accepted as factual, and an accurate portrayal of us. Which I don’t believe it to be. No way do we ignore the letter, but to just refute his comments misses an...

Fisherman

No way do we ignore the letter, but to just refute his comments misses an opportunity to put the case for better facilities for motorhomers throughout the UK. The more letters that go in taking issue with the Scott Currie's letter the better. However we each need to do it in our out way. I would encourage as many as possible to write in to the CCC. They wrongly gave a platform to mr Currie to take a swipe at us and tarnish our reputation, not to give a balanced view, as I have done in reply. I only hope that they at least allow us to challenge his totally biased rhetoric. If not then I will have consider my membership with them.

Moped

I would encourage as many as possible to write in to the CCC. They wrongly gave a platform to mr Currie to take a swipe at us and tarnish our reputation, not to give a balanced view, as I have done in reply. I only hope that they at least allow us to challenge his totally biased rhetoric. If not then I will have consider my membership with them. My email to the CCC:- Dear Sirs I have noted the letter in your June edition of the club magazine from Scott Currie and the editors response. The Camping and Caravan Club do offer a motorhome service stop for £7 at a number of their sites so they clearly do recognise that those with motorhomes do not always park overnight on a campsite. The response to the letter overlooked this. As for the reference to the Land Reform Act in Scotland by the letter writer, and the comment relating to the right to roam excluding motorised vehicles, this surely has to imply those with 4x4 type vehicles. It is very unlikely that a motorhome would be...

Fisherman

My email to the CCC:- Dear Sirs I have noted the letter in your June edition of the club magazine from Scott Currie and the editors response. The Camping and Caravan Club do offer a motorhome service stop for £7 at a number of their sites so they clearly do recognise that those with motorhomes do not always park overnight on a campsite. The response to the letter overlooked this. As for the reference to the Land Reform Act in Scotland by the letter writer, and the comment relating to the right to roam excluding motorised vehicles, this surely has to imply those with 4x4 type vehicles. It is very unlikely that a motorhome would be able to roam across the Scottish highlands at will once off the public highway. And talking of public highway, the world ”public“ seems to have been overlooked by the CCC and the letter writer. When on the public highway the Scottish Land Act has no legal status as it is not privately owned land. And the public highway does include verges up to and...

Last edited:

Fisherman

When I sent my first email I got a reply within minutes from Emily at the CCC. Second time again within minutes a reply stating that they would publish my reply but it may be edited. Third, telling them how I felt, and replying to mr Curries letter, well still waiting for a reply. I reckon they have had a few letters. Let’s see what is published, if anything. If they don’t give us the same platform they gave mr Currie, it speaks multitudes.

Fisherman

The final reply clearing stating my letter would be published. Hi Bill, Thanks for your email and we look forward to receiving, and publishing, your letter. It's quite right for you to let us know your thoughts - the magazine is for the members - and yes, I agree that it would have been clearer if we had referenced Skye. Kind Regards, Emily On 19/05/2020, 16:03

Donsider

Lets see what they publish if any part of this. Scott Curries letter regarding wild camping raised many issues. First let me make myself clear, I detest anyone in a motorhome who behaves poorly, and gives an otherwise friendly well behaved community poor name. The behaviour of a tiny minority at the start of this crisis, was shameful, but may have been more to do with naivety and lack of clarity from our government than selfish or stupid behaviour. And since these unfortunate indiscretions our community has behaved well, I only wish the same could be said of others who have put lives at risk with their selfish behaviour. It's a pity that these same media outlets who reported such poor behaviour also failed to report that 99% of us did not take part in these acts. But back to the main point ‘wild camping’, a term that seems to generate passionate debate from some who have little or no knowledge of us or what we do. Scott comments on things that he has witnessed on his Island...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:906)

quilkin, V1nny, barryd, st3v3, hotrats, runnach, TeamRienza, DnK, ian81, Obanboy666, Joe416, Mandoman, Robmac, tidewatcher, Nowego, bartman, Asterix, jagmanx, mjvw, Scotia, hank, campervanannie, grahammay2, Wheelie, shortcircuit, alcam, 2cv, mrdon, Tonybvi, mistericeman, channa, 955itriple, G1DOL, UFO, Wully, kaworboys, Compo, colinmd, caledonia, vindiboy, Taurian, denmar, Dezi, BOTCANU, Nemos Dad, tribute11, Edina, Biggarmac, mariesnowgoose, Nidge, POI Admin, maingate, jas900, Neckender, Val54, phase3begins, GreggBear, antiquesam, GHPC, John H, oppy, yorkslass, petermotorhome, Adria home, Hycon, Tapfitter, Mikael, mid4did, trixie88, Jo001, Justjack, sparrks, ian1950, jacquigem, Tookey, witzend, dane, Budgie, Moped, Fazerloz, chrisjones18, cronkle, jann, clarkpeacock, Debroos, davef, harrow, kenspain, Makzine, thebeeman, saxonrosie, QFour, TJBi, trevskoda, tripper, maureenandtom, noah and nelly, nutts, The laird, Andysm, Harleyboygaz3, brugge, izwozral, stockcarman, Tezza33, jeffmossy, toasty, 5andy, barge1914, Nigel L, argoose, Chip, iampatman, jimbohorlicks, ajb70, hanger18, Silvergran, Mobilvetta, r4dent, Nabsim, kevlakes, doglover1, molly 2, justRoamin, AdriaTwin, Greenwayjay, korky, Yelto, Alberto, fiona68, wesaaron, kingfisher1, mark61, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, n brown, prioryi, Gadabout2, gypo, hg41hs, skippy, mossypossy, SquirrellCook, alwaysared, davep10000, Chris356, helmit, winks, Tim120, helen262, Malco, Toffeecat, Bouydog, SimonM, PawneePilot, silverweed, Bigshug, T5paulo, mike17, JimandHazel, Geeky Philip, tilly, Android, Monkeybrand, pj650, Geraldine, bobemmo29, Rod, defender, lands43, sherry, flying kipper, Lionel, ARDAS, ton27, Trotter, ChrisInNotts, Linda, Weston, Penny13, martinmartin, pamjon, JVG, rabW, FULL TIMER, PinkFlowerPetal, lthoel2, yorkieowl, Winger, ATwin, maxsdad, Jeff G, Farman, bobj808, hmssnake, HurricaneSmith, watchthis, GeoffL, belbri, Goggles, Fraseb01, highlandron, paulhelenwilko, jeanette, GinaRon, Allen, Minisorella, Wooie1958, linkshouse, The Jacks, tugboat, Derbyshirehills, vtwinner, Steve C, Millie Master, sdh1412, Clunegapyears, Greengrass, nosfunk, Markysparky, keith49, Stanski, Snapster, Mr B, Okta, walpeter, vanmandan, Somerled, kensowerby, phillybarbour, CherryPirate, rugbyken, Ian and Cath, Larnie, SCRUMPY BOY, Floydster, Silver sprinter, Mikey1, vwalan, Martin P, Pauljenny, Dowel, Harrytherid, Clummzie, peecee, number14, 1807truckman, StreetSleeper, ontheroadagain, smg, rjn, terry111, britcoms, pedro, delicagirl, julesanian, VandA, GeorgeS, IanT, gerrevelyn, ironman, belslot, madtheswine99, brunobrian, Elainie, ExRacingRat, Forresbroons, gc1874, Davo11, Sky, myvanwy, Rapido9, Martingrant, Jabas, Jandb4, Herman, voyagerstan, dunfillin, Carrerasax, MrKenny, Shockingdog, spigot, buryanna, polo99, Artichoke Annie, REC, yorkshireCPLE, RSD7a, Andys, cozican, antiqueman, twink, Topmast, Aly, Victor, BlueVanMan, bmc, peejay, groyne, guerdeval, painter01, londontavern, bm8, Redsky, Doddy6, Moonraker 2, Steve and Julie, campertwo, Ribble, Upfish, redtop2, big tom, Gerti58, Lee, John and Janet, samsda, Iscicle, angehos, RAW, Veloman, landoboguy, Livotlout, ronniemorello, csd4t, Donsider, johnnymac, Boots, reiverlad, Backinblack, yeoblade, I&MK, peter palance, Chris Evans001, SHABBINS, Moc, Roy Laura, barlicker, john77, mygrassisblue, bugsbunny, gecko278, powerplus, Travelling man, magpus, sonic650, GWAYGWAY, bobbrigside, Buzzard, Loaki, Ted, electricdriver, Bacup lad, Lizbiebrowne, Skiptonian, ricc, chrismilo, Rai3458, Kennygd, Dulvil, TissyD, Haaamster, wildebus, Liberty hall, Sid, Neelie Mc, akradiabra, master, blind pew, david0412, Markd, Torlea, Tony123, Douglas R, Interceptor, brumptum, T25babble, s4x4c, Jean, richardstubbs, Ezzo York, Buckby, Kontiki, village, Rodders1234, terrywolf, BGT180, mrwalsh1968, Greytop, rustydog, COCKY, Amethyst, onion, jennyp19, Tallulah, elfish, Maci, TheLizard, joyceatbanns, Fifer, bjh, Roarth, Skyeline, mishlaughton, chrsrwlns, Janet1, rambler, tipsydog, enhanceco, Ly085, mechanised, harrym, koala53, Tony Lee, anthonymorsink, Timberjack69, bedonwheels, douron, mickymost, Gypsy Rose, jwh268, Dr Who, mikejay, Spike, Alun100, Davegarlant, Ericlumb, Snoopy, CHII BUS, jjs71, Sharpe, motorwaycafe, vintageb3, suefone, gettingolder2, rottytara2004, Bearcraft, Timotei, funkyronster, CROSSHEAD, Glosstud, ChrisCross, Stewpot, euro28, Mur, misko, Steven, davepierson, griffs10, Billy Ruffian, thewolery, granth, Sue Paskins, Marky Mark, Caravan Palace, wildrose, Stumpie, chubadub, fifey 21, cossienick, jonscase, Gog, green lane, Norse, nomis64, ovalball, thenomads, TheMillers, IscubaToo, owlcat, yorkscol, ChrissieG, ginfearsdad, Hellfire, Wildstar, Mitzy, Keeblem, sengam, Andrew Milward, Cal54, Fdhadi, Enfieldrover, tin013, SimonC, Lunar Campers, dave01249, angelaa, beegeew, outdoorellen, DTDOG, RJH, eriksleden, Mossystone, Nilocck, paulstevens, Lesc, Dartmoor Punch, james1508, lifeafloat, Mr Pastry, toffeeonabike, DavidRoberts, horlicks, chrismatthews00, beedubbleyoo, Dee, kneespots, Cie, Thistle, i0mark0i, Magsw, Northumborman, RichardP, countrycruisers, hextal, leetori, 47643, wilfee, Rolyan57, Mad Pierrre, The Collies, Millie23, Clarkster, dhall26, Hurstie, Bob, Cricpix, jimcasdog, Forcesixwindy, Nomad, Hughendon, Philcott, BM48, clareandpeter, HazelB, diamondr, fiona b, murthat, H Traveller, Gary Tucker, Perry, shoggoth, RV2MAX, BlueToo, Connie Staff, Pudsey Bear, Rover, Jonnyjan, Malcdhill, Chickybabe, Caz, Hollybells, Alan Wicks, Jeavsy, ChairofPants, Ron333, Cuthberto, RoaminRog, marmionassoc, Ken Parsons, TrishAndyHolt, kingneptune, Shoz, CalmIrony, ArDachaidh, Chrisb1701, peterd13, Proverbs2329, Tim1953, Bert M, The Hawk, berniem, Oasis, RichardA, dlongman, squidgy, DrivingMsDaisy, sillysuzy, Yeti, 13der5, tadpole58, bampi, Deneb, berrymp289, retep2305, dochiley, Mevi, sotontriker, metcalfs, Carriemac, mikeegee123, Abiteachuck, gemmat, Petethetug, derwiener, madcampercoupleplusgrandkids, gisjbert, MadRssss, cobbdu1, Tallyman, T4david, chrispearce1972, Mark M, Mick Jordan, Dix, Phil1, Fixer, rogerha, PopesOnTour, R0B, Jalfa, steveandchez, craig10, Tidster, Stormin, ozbit, Jimw, Claire Jones, Murgzie, Jodijez, westyman, althejazzman, TangoGypsy, Kraken, Mischief2, peterFuller, wurzel, Boombas, steve050, Rooneydog, bradley333, janj, eggbeater, MissDor, t5texmrshll, paulcmackie, Bogtrotters, Squeegee, RUBBLE, Elliott99, jim dalton, Dai, Skyhigh, zzr1400tim, Dethy, Soeultraveller, BeakerFlo, CShel, Meloc8, phillhend, Stevie 25, jpdlin, Jonned, hammy106, diongr, Debs, davidjlambert, ScoTTyBEEE, Dave H, Sooloo, steve11110, Duetto2001, mjhall37, teckguy, ronwood, gustaylor, DAVEY, satz, Orkneybob, WillyO, billyhilly, Boatman7973, Paulajc, MikeB, wingedone, Dreamcatchers, longsword, Cliff1951, Russ1014, MollsPhot, Chinaexplorer, bilbo, riviera, Podasols, Grim the Viking, maw123, shaunr68, Animal, daviesp2, dahlia duo, 2Coops, dogsbarker, mohicansue, invalid, Channelcrosser, AllanD, kim, 11ALB, Magnas, Archiemutt, Owlhouse, Francophil, Auntyjan, Peter51, brakers, Musketeer, 4x4man, Barnacle, Kev Hardy, ewen, Steveboy, Ade Small, alanfleming, Subablu, terry ward, Barleycorn, lefty107, Jaguar, Littlemush, KenT, Tom S, Su James, carol, Servo, Chocky, Bopper, Mpdyork, nitram, Stonesthrow, roadroamer, in h, Mickrick, Avonsmith, johnmac185, oTTo, Roggie, Moat08, traveller221, PatB, wandering, robertd, mutley23, Dreamer, NalaK, funkylyn, Keith777, AllyPally, mhm21, Spike69, BELPER T5, grapework, Ken, rambleman, brian c, MarkV, Irek, cold, Ellendale, feeandal, TanyaK, Handel10, Zola, Dads Train, deacon, Camelrib, miflinbadger, Simonfrench, DocMartin, suem, Woodyguy, adriandp, Funman, lofty, tim m154, alca, Chris P, Glyn1010, Nigel Cox, sandya, Kontiki659, Yolo, jonc, sinner, topchook, pondhoppers, Lefty, chancer, Peisinoe, xsilvergs, mrs t, fairfieldkid, wildman, Homenaway, hunterd01, Full Member, Pandaman2020, doddy56, gadabout, grobpilot, Tuppence, Billet, gazwarrior, starcott, Bramble33, RichardLT, David Clarke, Scampi30, Cathy, Danhar707, john lawrance, Mikechappers, Coaster, scampa, kas, Isnbill, GeordieBoy, Ericb, arbee, mcgolem, Old Silver Fox, dafyd69, Robina, bikerman, Weels, Mon, mystra, Roadromer, DaveP, Mike Jump, Kontikiman54, johnandjosy, RageRC, Dolomite Pete, cupcake, veletron, aj2, kenno, Terryww, tim51, timatabsa, quentinsf, charlie356, dougal, Captain Haddock, tipper trucker, Robinhood, RogerO, Salvage1, JackieA, Raptor107, JudyV, MonasDelight, red ted, Galaxy, bigbarry, bigdave1962, MikeRS, Tinapow, SouthernTribby, Wissel, Colinsmiff, CathyP, mfw, gedge, MJK, 4Corners, sduggan, tobym, plouz, sstephenjef, pilsleyavondale, AndyJL, Gary clague, David Horsfall, Ian reed, TTCamper, Dogeared, RogerIvy, ASGARD, Sandwitch, PaulF, SteveJ, blueskyhunta, tony, Benylin, Charlie 4, RayM, salty dogs, Chrissie Bov, Annsman, Clubhouse, Alcfire, cnorris, panlap, Sarahpaul, Sugartits and H, Holasuki, Jon, Drew, gbailey, Sharon the Cat, 1 Cup, Petes, T4Lyn, Louise847, pkbcamper, ozzy1955, Turtletim,