Phone holder for Motorhome Windscreen

sat navs are a thing of the past.. sold all mine and just use the I Phone now with google maps
Not for me, Google maps have led me a right merry chase a few times, especially when someone sends you a pin drop. Plus you have to have a signal or remember to download maps for where you are going.

I do use maps on my phone, (both google and apple) but not for main navigation

Not sure if you have heard of them Barry but some years ago they invented a device called a sat-nav, they do a wonderful job at navigating. My phone is much better than my sat nav for social media though :)

LOL! I do love my TomTom Start 20 or whatever it is. Ill still use it but Tim is kind of right. Its so easy to just google some place or other and then hit directions and away you go and of course it incorporates live traffic and road works etc. I use it on the bike all the time when we are away. However I dont think google maps as a navigation sat nav is as good as the TomTom. Will see how we get on. I also want it though for music as I can now play Rock God tunes at number 11 (which is 120w) in the new motorhome so presumably if its in a cradle I can pick music etc.

I hate the way Google maps will take you off the main road onto a side street, around a few bends then put you back on the road you are on anyway. Absolute crap. One of my mates always told me how good it was until he followed me one day. When we stopped he kept saying his phone kept wanting him to go different ways. Sat Nav all the time for me lol

I use Waze on the bike and like Tim I have the 'phone charging all the time so it's 100% full battery when I arrive. I really like it so far.

Just seen this Barry. I have tried various types and this one using the cup holder beats the lot. I like to use my iPad when using Tom Tom go, and it handles it no probs. No suckers, sticky pads. You simply place it in the cup holder and expand it till it’s a tight fit. You can get them on eBay, I got this one on Amazon.

IMG_7855.jpeg

Just seen this Barry. I have tried various types and this one using the cup holder beats the lot. I like to use my iPad when using Tom Tom go, and it handles it no probs. No suckers, sticky pads. You simply place it in the cup holder and expand it till it’s a tight fit. You can get them on eBay, I got this one on Amazon.

View attachment 132849

That would have worked! Too late now. Anyway Im keeping my vape in that cup holder. :D

I use Waze on the bike and like Tim I have the 'phone charging all the time so it's 100% full battery when I arrive. I really like it so far.

I might try that. The good thing about using a phone is you can try all the various apps quite easily. My TomTom takes some beating though I reckon. I have zillions of POI on it which I always found really useful in Europe but then again, you can just google anything now and ask for directions.

Not for me, Google maps have led me a right merry chase a few times, especially when someone sends you a pin drop. Plus you have to have a signal or remember to download maps for where you are going.

I do use maps on my phone, (both google and apple) but not for main navigation
yes sometimes Google maps can take you some funny ways just to shave 30 seconds off the journey. I tend to interrogate the suggested route and then ignore any minor course deviations.
I got caught out on holiday last year when using the I Phone (on motorbike) to get to a mountain railway in France. Upon leaving, to go back to the campsite, the phone battery had packed in because the charge lead had become chafed. All of a sudden I was lost (you tend not to take much notice of your route if using a sat nav) so I just winged it and headed in the general direction of the coast.
Again, the battery drain while using Google maps is very great.

Screen on for hours is going to kill it and then being on charge too makes it a bit hot, we had two hot days in France & the phone shut down so I put it in the fridge and booted up the spare, I was going to ebay it but for £50 I kept it, glad I did now.

How many of you carry a spare telling bone in the van?

TomToms can also take you down some goat tracks or odd places. At the top of the Simplon Pass between Italy and Switzerland mine once told me to turn left (over the edge) and take the ferry! :LOL:
When I posted #48 I opened Gmaps on me phone to see if I could do a screenshot of it in 3D but it wouldn't but when I went to close the app it asked me to do a survey, so I told them what I thought of the speed limit display being incorrect so often and that it sent us down unsuitable roads due to it not allowing us to put vehicle dims into it, nothing will happen I suppose but at least I told em.

I still use a Dumb Tom stand alone, but only because I have it. Compared to all the other sat navs I've tried, it's easily the worst.
My favs at the moment are Apple maps, and Waze. Waze is by far the fastest for alerts, even being alerted of broken down vehicles on hard shoulder, etc.

When exploring I like to have google maps running on iPad, good for finding tracks.

I still use a Dumb Tom stand alone, but only because I have it. Compared to all the other sat navs I've tried, it's easily the worst.
My favs at the moment are Apple maps, and Waze. Waze is by far the fastest for alerts, even being alerted of broken down vehicles on hard shoulder, etc.

When exploring I like to have google maps running on iPad, good for finding tracks.

Out on the bike a couple of weeks ago Mark and Waze even warned me of a large pothole in 400 metres.

Sure enough there it was and hitting it at speed would have been a nightmare. Also good for mobile speed cameras.

Back