Phone holder for Motorhome Windscreen

The phone holder worked fine on the way here but I've decided Google maps is rubbish compared to my old TomTom.

Odd, what's wrong with it?
Lots of things. Half the time it doesn't move with your journey so you have a to tap the screen and move it down. It also just shows a map view whereas the TomTom shows you more like a road view and of course there is no lane guidance. Maybe it can be tweaked but there is no comparison. I only ever used Google maps on the bike with headphones. I like the fact it's up to date and has live traffic and speed cameras etc but its a long way off being as good as a proper TomTom. Maybe I'll download the TomTom app.

Very odd my only issue with it is the speed limit display is wrong, it certainly keeps up with where we are and redirects almost instantly if I go off piste, it does need to see the sky of course, maybe it's your phone too, do you keep mobile data on? try it on a tablet.

Very odd my only issue with it is the speed limit display is wrong, it certainly keeps up with where we are and redirects almost instantly if I go off piste, it does need to see the sky of course, maybe it's your phone too, do you keep mobile data on? try it on a tablet.
Not only is mobile data on but I downloaded the entire map for offline before we left. It was maybe me fiddling and turning it round 180 degrees before we set off. I'll get used to it but so far prefer the TomTom. I had them both running on the way down. In the end I turned off the sound on Google maps and just relied on TomTom.

Google maps is a nice addition to a sat nav, but no use if you want lane guidance etc. So it's not really a great substitute for a decent sat nav. Saying that, TomTom isn't decent sat nav. :ROFLMAO:

Google maps is a nice addition to a sat nav, but no use if you want lane guidance etc. So it's not really a great substitute for a decent sat nav. Saying that, TomTom isn't decent sat nav. :ROFLMAO:
I would like to say TomToms have never let me down in twenty years but it would be a lie. 🤣

I would like to say TomToms have never let me down in twenty years but it would be a lie. 🤣
To be fair, none of them are perfect. I still use a TomTom, alongside whatever I fancy running on the phone. Waze or Apple maps currently.

I'd mainly use google maps when exploring, rarely as a navigation.

The only things I don't like about G maps is it decides there is a shorter route and I have to tap the screen to ignore it, and once it's taken you to the town you put in it just stops showing where you are, also how it keep repeating the next turn and the one after it when you already absorbed the information.

The only things I don't like about G maps is it decides there is a shorter route and I have to tap the screen to ignore it, and once it's taken you to the town you put in it just stops showing where you are, also how it keep repeating the next turn and the one after it when you already absorbed the information.

Yes! That's a right pia on the bike with it in your pocket. Nothing you can do about it. Did it to me yesterday trying to get out of Weymouth.

Not sure if you have heard of them Barry but some years ago they invented a device called a sat-nav, they do a wonderful job at navigating. My phone is much better than my sat nav for social media though :)

Not sure if you've heard of them but some years ago they invented things called "Apps".
Some of these do a wonderful job of navigating. Saves having a second screen and a lot cheaper (the one I use is free to acquire and has no monthly subscription).

Not sure if you've heard of them but some years ago they invented things called "Apps".
Some of these do a wonderful job of navigating. Saves having a second screen and a lot cheaper (the one I use is free to acquire and has no monthly subscription).
You obviously don’t read all posts, you heard of something called SpecSavers 🤪

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back