Old Age After Full Timing

Driving one like this when I thought
Enough is enough @70
So, get piste up for going off piste?

I've not decided anything yet, because current circumstances don't allow me to go full time anyway, and hopefully ending it will be some years off yet, possibly when the last of my dogs has passed away.

But I do like the idea of buying a cheap static to end my days in, assuming I can find a site that doesn't force upgrades. If not I suspect it'll be a bedsit somewhere.
Failing that there is always a canal boat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301-093122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301-093122_Chrome.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 20
I'll be 60 in April, and expect to give up our rented property to go full time in my mortorhome within the next year or two.

Hopefully I'll be able to physically and (just about) financially maintain that lifestyle for a good few years, but I'm wondering if there's a 'normal' path from mobile life back into bricks and mortar.

Other than hopefully being on state pension by then, my only asset at that point will likely be the motorhome, which will obviously have depreciated somewhat, probably to somewhere around £10-12k.

Are there any difficulties around applying for pensioner accommodation etc after full timing?
We are just full timing and I am 60 and the boss is 54. Councils do have a responsibility to house folk who fall into the vulnerable category. However the waiting lists are long. However just enjoy the experience whilst you’re young and fit enough. I have just finished working for over ten years in a hospice and palliative care community team. Believe me don’t put off anything . have worked with literally hundreds of people who planned everything and then one pain or a scan and it is out the window and the plan comes crashing down. You can’t buy or plan what time you have left. Just go for it !

The traveling types here now buy houses with big gardens or drives, up to 3 caravans in each house at a time, council dont bother them, but if they do then just swap driveways every 28 days, council can do ferk all.
Farmers with a big shed sometimes let folk live inside them in a static, cant be seen by google etc, ways round everything.
A little sign on the gate deters nosy councils.
bull charges.png

The traveling types here now buy houses with big gardens or drives, up to 3 caravans in each house at a time, council dont bother them, but if they do then just swap driveways every 28 days, council can do ferk all.
Farmers with a big shed sometimes let folk live inside them in a static, cant be seen by google etc, ways round everything.
A little sign on the gate deters nosy councils.View attachment 128875
Don't know if you ever saw this story, Trev. Wonder if the farmer is from the NI Wild West?

I know we have to have planning rules, but they really are total set of jobsworths at times, what a waste of time and money, if the building is structurally sound and would have got buildings approval maybe a fine would have made more sense.

There was a similar one next to the M62 years ago.

Don't know if you ever saw this story, Trev. Wonder if the farmer is from the NI Wild West?

A councillor who lives near us built a bungalow on her land without planning permission. It's very hard in our village to get PP for anything because the Council are power mad.

Her neighbours complained so what did the council do about it? - of course they let her apply for retrospective PP.

I know we have to have planning rules, but they really are total set of jobsworths at times, what a waste of time and money, if the building is structurally sound and would have got buildings approval maybe a fine would have made more sense.

There was a similar one next to the M62 years ago.
If it would have got approval, I think he wouldn't have gone to such extreme lengths to hide it.

And of course, the recent case of the money-grabbing daughter of Captain Tom. Very pleased she had to demolish the "peoples spa" (y)

I wonder what would have happened had you met a French person coming the other way. They dont have reverse apparently.

With a bit of luck you would meet an Italian coming the other way. 😊

My understanding is that Italian military trucks have four reverse gears !

They also have one forward gear (In case they are attacked from behind)

I built a porch on my bungalow witout planning as most did yound here, barstewart 2 doors up who did not like me because i drove a skoda dobed me in.
I was summioned to main office in belfast to be interagated and recorded by 2 osifers, i listened to what they had to say, then stated i bought the house and thought i could do as i liked as others in my street had done, i also said if i buy a car i can fit spotlights etc witout permission so whats the problem.
I ask who reported me but was told just a officer doing his rounds noticed the construction.
In the end i had to spend £300 on plans and send in, all was ok and the porch stands.

I'll be 60 in April, and expect to give up our rented property to go full time in my mortorhome within the next year or two.

Hopefully I'll be able to physically and (just about) financially maintain that lifestyle for a good few years, but I'm wondering if there's a 'normal' path from mobile life back into bricks and mortar.

Other than hopefully being on state pension by then, my only asset at that point will likely be the motorhome, which will obviously have depreciated somewhat, probably to somewhere around £10-12k.

Are there any difficulties around applying for pensioner accommodation etc after full timing?
Just one thing to add. Worth making sure you retain a permanent address in the uk while you travel in the van. Without an address it is not possible to register with GP, add to housing lists etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back