Old Age After Full Timing

So, get piste up for going off piste?

I've not decided anything yet, because current circumstances don't allow me to go full time anyway, and hopefully ending it will be some years off yet, possibly when the last of my dogs has passed away.

But I do like the idea of buying a cheap static to end my days in, assuming I can find a site that doesn't force upgrades. If not I suspect it'll be a bedsit somewhere.

Why they make ownership of a static so complex is beyond me, especially as they bang on about the housing shortage whilst building thousands of ugly houses all over the country.

An easy option would be to be able to stay on a relatives land (or pay a small rent to a local farmer), but oh no, Mr Jobsworth would come along and say "Sorry only 28 days allowed" obviously you would turn into a pumpkin on day 29.

Off grid living in a static (or even a large tourer) would be much easier these days with the advances in solar power, or a relative/farmer could even give you your own supply and you pay an electricity bill as you would in a flat. Surely they could make grants available for that?

We are so full of rules and red tape in this country that it is untrue.

Why they make ownership of a static so complex is beyond me, especially as they bang on about the housing shortage whilst building thousands of ugly houses all over the country.

An easy option would be to be able to stay on a relatives land (or pay a small rent to a local farmer), but oh no, Mr Jobsworth would come along and say "Sorry only 28 days allowed" obviously you would turn into a pumpkin on day 29.

Off grid living in a static (or even a large tourer) would be much easier these days with the advances in solar power, or a relative/farmer could even give you your own supply and you pay an electricity bill as you would in a flat. Surely they could make grants available for that?

We are so full of rules and red tape in this country that it is untrue.

Ignoring the law for now, would many farmers be interested in that kind of thing?

But yes, it is a shame this country is so backward.

Ignoring the law for now, would many farmers be interested in that kind of thing?

Possibly, I know of people who have had long term arrangements with their motorhomes with farmers over the years. It can be a bonus for farmers as an extra level of security having somebody living on their land.

Not that I'm suggesting you go and wrestle with Sheep rustlers or anything like that, but sometimes just a presence can deter casual thieves.

You will see posts every now and then where people are asking for full timers to stay and help out with stuff and others where they have long term plots you can park a van or caravan on to live.

Have you considered a canal boat?

@Robmac you can put a static in your garden and live in it but it mustn’t have a kitchen, can’t remember if it can’t have a bathroom either

I don't think you're allowed to sleep in it either Neil without planning permission and even then I think pp is only granted for a certain time?

I'm not sure I'll have a look round.

I don't think you're allowed to sleep in it either Neil without planning permission and even then I think pp is only granted for a certain time?

I'm not sure I'll have a look round.
Yes you can sleep in it. Unless of course it’s changed in the last couple of years. If it has cooking (can’t remember bathroom bit) then it needs planning. Just used as an extension for the house though it was exempt

Edit: let me know if you find out differently Rob, it was high peak council I checked with pre-covid

You will see posts every now and then where people are asking for full timers to stay and help out with stuff and others where they have long term plots you can park a van or caravan on to live.

Have you considered a canal boat?

OK, I'll have to start looking out for posts like that, just to get an idea of what's out there.

Actually, yes, I did consider a canal boat about 20yrs ago, and the only thing that put me off was the possibility of someone stealing my dog while I was at work.

Thats the way round it, family member in the annexe lol

The no cooking bit may have been the way round the 28 days I don’t remember but I know it was basically adding as bedroom/living room only

Yes you can sleep in it. Unless of course it’s changed in the last couple of years. If it has cooking (can’t remember bathroom bit) then it needs planning. Just used as an extension for the house though it was exempt

Edit: let me know if you find out differently Rob, it was high peak council I checked with pre-covid

I looked into it for my log cabin in the garden Neil.

The rule was that for occasional sleeping no PP required. For permanent sleeping PP would be required as well as full building regs for damp proofing, insulation, heating etc. etc.

I'm not sure whether those rules would apply with a static? Depends on how old it was I suppose.

If I was in a similar situation, I would opt for a large, luxury touring caravan and apply for pp. We actually lived on our drive for a year in a touring caravan whilst the house was being renovated, without pp but don't tell 'em Pike! But transporting a tourer to/from a site is a far easier and cheaper option than a static and easier to sell later if left to the owner of the property.

It wouldn't be hard to link into the sewage system either.

Thats the way round it, family member in the annexe lol

The no cooking bit may have been the way round the 28 days I don’t remember but I know it was basically adding as bedroom/living room only

We have an annexe for my daughter and her husband. We did get pp and full building regs.

I seem to recall there being different rules depending on whether the annexe is attached or detached from the main residence.

We have an annexe for my daughter and her husband. We did get pp and full building regs.

I seem to recall there being different rules depending on whether the annexe is attached or detached from the main residence.

...I should add that our annexe is attached to the house (extended the garage) and has kitchen/diner, bedroom and bathroom all above board and permanent living allowed.

Interesting;

It reckons if you "get away with it" without permission for 10 years you will probably be ok. :D

Ive been to loads of farms up in Teesdale years ago when I worked on a rural IT project. There are places up here that nobody even know exist. If you wanted to disappear in a static hidden from view then this is the place to do it I Reckon. Ive also seen a fair few statics hidden away also. Nobody would ever know or give a sh*t. Probably. :D

Driving one like this when I thought
Enough is enough @70
So, get piste up for going off piste?

I've not decided anything yet, because current circumstances don't allow me to go full time anyway, and hopefully ending it will be some years off yet, possibly when the last of my dogs has passed away.

But I do like the idea of buying a cheap static to end my days in, assuming I can find a site that doesn't force upgrades. If not I suspect it'll be a bedsit somewhere.
Failing that there is always a canal boat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301-093122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301-093122_Chrome.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 51

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back