Old Age After Full Timing

Like everything in life all is good until something goes wrong. The older you get the more health problems you get.
This is so right.. at 65 I was great then it went downhill with pes cavus feet. Arthritis. Divicular disease. Now my memory is going fast....all in 6 years...now 71.
Take heed.....as they say old age comes fast at some point....
Anyway just back from 3 months in southern Europe and waiting for July for another 2 months in Germany and Italy.
We built a small house in lockdown on a bit of land we had for the future...

It was a long time ago when I did the cpc to get my operators licence...
Back then a mate run a fleet of vans doing parcel deliveries...no tachos fitted....he got a large fine...
All things progress....except my memory

One of the outfits I subbied for ran 7.5t curtain siders which I'd help out with as needed, got paid by the mile, but he wouldn't buy them newer than a year I can't recall as they were limited on speed, the ones he had were allowed to do 70mph, which can be a bit scary, but unlike vans, they at least had air over hydraulic brakes so you had a chance of stopping when fully loaded, better to drive than any Ducato etc too.

One of the outfits I subbied for ran 7.5t curtain siders which I'd help out with as needed, got paid by the mile, but he wouldn't buy them newer than a year I can't recall as they were limited on speed, the ones he had were allowed to do 70mph, which can be a bit scary, but unlike vans, they at least had air over hydraulic brakes so you had a chance of stopping when fully loaded, better to drive than any Ducato etc too.

I used to drive a 7.5t Iveco Kev when I did part time vehicle recovery work in the 80's.

I loved driving it but the air brakes did take some getting used to. First time I tried them I nearly went through the bloody windscreen but soon got used to them. My dream when I had the garden furniture business was to have a 7.5t with a sleeper cab but it just wasn't practical for getting down tiny lanes in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, the first time I ever drove a 7.5t was a Bedford TK about 1973 ish weird at first and zero power steering and petrol engine, but god it could stop when needed, I'd love to own one now.

To be honest, if physically well enough I'd be happy being the guy in a old caravan in the woods like you see on Midsomer Murders, etc, but if that's not possibly I'd be happy with anything rather than being homeless - bungalow, flat, appartment, bedsit, etc. Wouldn't be looking for anything posh or expensive.
Around here in Wiltshire there are housing association pensioner bungalows in which they have put young folk with children. Very unfair, since there are old folk who would be glad to get out of the clutches of the btl merchants and afford to eat.
Would be nice if these young folk would keep the gardens tidy and not neglected, unkempt grass and abandoned equipment litteri for passers-by to enjoy.

Yes, the first time I ever drove a 7.5t was a Bedford TK about 1973 ish weird at first and zero power steering and petrol engine, but god it could stop when needed, I'd love to own one now.
And no seatbelts or heater. I once worked for Walls Ice cream on fridge van TKs. Brass monkies in winter, nowhere to warmup. Good brakes though. Safety glass windscreen exploded once so could'nt see a think before punching a hole in it

Without wanting to appear over pessimistic I do think it’s important to consider your options in the event of health problems. Just 5 years ago we were enjoying 2 months a year in the US and three months a year out and about in the van. Ill health has struck us both in our 60s and now an outing usually involves being taken to the hospital. In these circumstances it’s certainly best to have a base in bricks and mortar.
Solid advice

If you aren’t going to be moving around and not having EHU you will want a genny if staying in the U.K. in winter. Of course, if you use very little power you may last. It’s cheaper and quieter to run a genny than the engine
Bit of a pain having to store stinky petrol for the genny though. I guess gas could be an option. I think maybe you can buy petrol to gas or bifuel kits for some gennies.

EDIT: The guy of which I speak below is a guy from here, I found the post, but obviously expanded upon on Facebook.

I have had a read and I can't find one comment about something very important! Maintenance of the van! One breakdown can eat up a couple of months living expenses. There was a guy posted somewhere on Facebook (I think) who is terminally ill and doing his last trip and living full time in his van. He gave up his rented house and now has no base, he has no family and uses a friends address for legal stuff.

His gearbox has broken! It has caused two problems. The first is trying to find the money for the repairs. It is an old Talbot van and he is having a problem trying to find a gearbox. Second, he has to get the van to a repair garage, while there, he can't live in it. So he has to find expensive, short term accommodation.

If he can find a box, it will take a couple of days to drag it in the workshop, fit the gearbox and clutch assembly and finish off. BUT.. It may take weeks to find a box, or just as long to have his box rebuilt. It has been estimated that it could cost up to £4K by the time he has finished, including accommodation. Then of course, there is the annual MOT. Great if it passes, but if it needs repairs? Spares that have to be ordered?

And this is on top of the medical side. It is OK when fit, but break a leg or have some kind of accident and be laid up, it will be difficult. It may be OK, but I see full timing as a younger mans game, I wouldn't be without my bricks and mortar!
Demonstrates that you need to have a bolthole and mobey in your pocket.
Talbot gearboxe/clutch reputation not up to much i'm told.
I twice had citroen 2.5td XMs. Brilliant car & engine which went into some talbots, and never an issue with the hydraulic suspension - ace in floods. We had a local citroen 2cv etc guru at the time, just as well coz regular garages were frightened of the XM and the official dealer was useless.
I digress!

If the roaming life becomes too much then you may want to consider a static caravan. A friend of mine has bought one on a lovely site at a reasonable cost because they depreciate as they get older and the advantage is that because it's not a permanent structure the government can't take it to pay for care costs if needed. Maybe worth considering
But the groundrent can be very expensive indeed, and you never know if your maybe reasonable landlord will flog it to a right nasty greedy grabbing piece of work. It happens.

In the late 60's I went to University as a mature student with three kids, yes I am over 80. I found a quick way of getting a three bed semi for rent. I went to the Highways Dept. They used to have houses that have been purchased for road developements, available on short term rentals. I think it would be worth a try for anyone in need.
HS2 abandoned houses?
You could get the HS2 replacement bus service there?

I used to drive a 7.5t Iveco Kev when I did part time vehicle recovery work in the 80's.

I loved driving it but the air brakes did take some getting used to. First time I tried them I nearly went through the bloody windscreen but soon got used to them. My dream when I had the garden furniture business was to have a 7.5t with a sleeper cab but it just wasn't practical for getting down tiny lanes in the middle of nowhere.
No problem to me, pack of big girls blowses the lot of you. 😂
van donegal.jpg
kinigo a.jpg
kinigo b.jpg
kinigo c.jpg

Our late lamented PM gave a speech in the US recently and referenced QUANGOs.

An audience member was heard to ask what it meant.

After the explanation her comment was "That's a great new TLA".

Whaaaat!!!

7.5t is just a van, as for lanes, try 41t in the back streets of Marrakech 😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back