Merton and Webster TV series

Micky I agree with what you are saying, but this programme is for the general public, and if they enjoy watching it, It makes a change from the media making stories up about us, or reporting things that would not be newsworthy if we were not involved. Will anyone with an open mind about us watch this and decide they dislike us, I very much doubt it. But some who watch this may just look at us in a different more favourable light.
Bill totally agree with you and any Programme promoting Motorhomes and Campervans has in my book got to be a good thing especially in these times when many are trying to staycate holidaying locally in the UK. Although it seems that we still have a lot of work to do to change the attitude in this country.It seems many councils are now embracing us letting us overnight in Councils Car parks, BUT sadly many more places are banning the Motorhome tarring all travellers with the same brush (yes another thread on "travellers" as good and bad in all)

Last edited:
Another thing the product testers on this series I feel are all Youtubers with their own channels am I wrong? I recognise many of these guys from Youtube.

I cant comment on the programme. ...didn't fancy another formulaic production.One thing that put me off, were the trailer shots of the van/ couple being filmed n remote locations......no longer to be found in England and i'm guessing less and less in Wales and Scotland, giving viewers a romanticized idea of what motorhoming is like, a bit like the van lifers pictures of amazing sunsets taken through thrown open rear doors.
I agree , many of these programmes are just an advert for the National Trust ( I assume that is what you meant by "formulaic production" ) and the presenters seem forced to visit the same old locations and visitor attractions. I stopped watching these railway journeys, costal walks, etc because they were stuck in the rut of going to the same locations , I really don't want to watch people make cider or collecting honey from bee hives and putting it into jars again.

I watched the recent one in the lake district and it seemed they didn't dwell too long in the kendal mint cake shop or in windermere so maybe the producers are realising they needn't be a advert for the boring same old visitor "attractions". They did a sweeping mention of William Wordsworth and his cottage, I was also pleased to see they omitted the "windermere steam boat" history. The best bit for me was walking up the fell with the photographer and fell runner and seeing the view of the tarn. Progs like this should do more of the walking and camping and van skills and look for new locations to see .
Although Paul and wife were entertaining, maybe the producers should get some fitter presenters and get up the high fells and discover the more obscure "attractions" of which there are many in the UK.

I agree , many of these programmes are just an advert for the National Trust ( I assume that is what you meant by "formulaic production" ) and the presenters seem forced to visit the same old locations and visitor attractions. I stopped watching these railway journeys, costal walks, etc because they were stuck in the rut of going to the same locations , I really don't want to watch people make cider or collecting honey from bee hives and putting it into jars again.

I watched the recent one in the lake district and it seemed they didn't dwell too long in the kendal mint cake shop or in windermere so maybe the producers are realising they needn't be a advert for the boring same old visitor "attractions". They did a sweeping mention of William Wordsworth and his cottage, I was also pleased to see they omitted the "windermere steam boat" history. The best bit for me was walking up the fell with the photographer and fell runner and seeing the view of the tarn. Progs like this should do more of the walking and camping and van skills and look for new locations to see .
Although Paul and wife were entertaining, maybe the producers should get some fitter presenters and get up the high fells and discover the more obscure "attractions" of which there are many in the UK.
I guess it depends on your interests?
You I guess enjoy fell walking? I think there have been countless programs about that kind of thing, and some have been very entertaining and I think there has even been a couple featuring monroe bagging (maybe just shown on BBC Scotland with Sandinmycrack'in?)
I remember going on a "walking weekend" with a group to the Lakes around 25 years ago. I was so knackered at the end of day 1 going up some hill that was only 2nd to scafell pike, IIRC, that the next day Jane and I both agreed to kick any more walking into touch and we drove around sightseeing and having the odd tea and cake stop instead.
Much more fun - to me, anyway, but many would disagree - so seeing a few sights that DON'T involve semi-mountaineering is fine by me :)

I guess it depends on your interests?
You I guess enjoy fell walking? I think there have been countless programs about that kind of thing, and some have been very entertaining and I think there has even been a couple featuring monroe bagging (maybe just shown on BBC Scotland with Sandinmycrack'in?)
I remember going on a "walking weekend" with a group to the Lakes around 25 years ago. I was so knackered at the end of day 1 going up some hill that was only 2nd to scafell pike, IIRC, that the next day Jane and I both agreed to kick any more walking into touch and we drove around sightseeing and having the odd tea and cake stop instead.
Much more fun - to me, anyway, but many would disagree - so seeing a few sights that DON'T involve semi-mountaineering is fine by me :)
Well David you make good points, but I much prefer getting to the top of a mountain knackered and hopefully enjoy the view. I have never lost the sense of achievement on reaching the top, and enjoy the endorphins I get when I get home and head for the shower.

Well David you make good points, but I much prefer getting to the top of a mountain knackered and hopefully enjoy the view. I have never lost the sense of achievement on reaching the top, and enjoy the endorphins I get when I get home and head for the shower.
I seriously was exhausted. I saw the hostel over the river as we were getting back and I nearly just turned left and headed directly for it instead of carrying onto the bridge and back again to save the additional walking.
Should have been able to make a better show given my (relative) youth at the time, but 'fraid not :(

Has he had a stroke or an injection?.. nice to see the mrs drive. Dont do that walking malarki.
You lot looking and struggling for parking, are just not blessed as us good Christian folk. Lol
Will continue to watch even on catch up. I liked it.

I seriously was exhausted. I saw the hostel over the river as we were getting back and I nearly just turned left and headed directly for it instead of carrying onto the bridge and back again to save the additional walking.
Should have been able to make a better show given my (relative) youth at the time, but 'fraid not :(
It sounds like you took on to much to early David. I would never take someone up a Munro if it was there first hill. Far better to try a smaller hill with great views at the top. Ben A’ne in the Trossachs fits the bill. Also with the smaller hills you have a much better chance of getting a view. And for around just one hours effort this is what awaits you.
1A015EA1-1B4E-420E-8E72-B90669E6CC85.jpeg

What a load of rubbish. Hardly any motorhome content. They even had advice from caravanners, and, when it got into the Airstream bit, they showed caravans being refurbished. There seemed a suggestion, that the Roller Team van, was struggling on steep hills, in the lake district, which surely couldn't have been the case, it's a new van.

What a load of rubbish. Hardly any motorhome content. They even had advice from caravanners, and, when it got into the Airstream bit, they showed caravans being refurbished. There seemed a suggestion, that the Roller Team van, was struggling on steep hills, in the lake district, which surely couldn't have been the case, it's a new van.
Well, now that you’ve got that off your chest, the rest of the programme was actually interesting. A change from Grand Designs!

It sounds like you took on to much to early David. I would never take someone up a Munro if it was there first hill. Far better to try a smaller hill with great views at the top. Ben A’ne in the Trossachs fits the bill. Also with the smaller hills you have a much better chance of getting a view. And for around just one hours effort this is what awaits you. View attachment 101069
I dont even have to get out of my van for pictures like that.
gc a.jpg

I thought the program was ok. Merton did seem a little subdued but I put that down to him being out of his comfort zone. Got one of these a while back, great in the winter when the weather’s bad outside. I did wonder though about why a hire company provide one? Perhaps they brought it along with them?View attachment 100936
Which one ? Does it charge by usb ? Thank you

The lower bed as you say is total faff, we only use it when our grandson is with us. He gets the drop down, and we get the lower bed that even with a topper is not very comfortable. Yes as you say you get a large lounge area in a 6m van, people are surprised when we show them inside. The 590 is a great van for what you pay, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a small A class.
Especially when it’s more spacious than the larger van that Paul Merton was using.

Merton and Webster on Channel 5

Right just watching the Second Episode.Sorry but im not convinced they are actually sleeping over in this Rollerteam Motorhome I feel they drive it around then stay over in a Posh Hotel. The Vehicle to me doesnt look lived in., not enough personal possesions. When they drove onto the Kendal ferry they were in the middle lane at the front BUT when the ferry left the dock they were parked at the rear right hand corner so how many film takes to do that clip?
I will post more observations as I watch the rest if I notice something BUT to me im not convinced.

Michael.
Yup I too noticed that lamentable and rather basic continuity error.

I've appeared and/or worked on several factual programs, I take everything I see on TV with a 'pinch of salt'.
We got involved in a Countryfile programme based on our community pub and the Peak District. Talk about the grand old Duke of York. We flogged up and down Stanage Edge umpteen times and froze in the icy blasts while they fiddled with camera angles and drones and Anita Rani hopped from rock to rock posing. Promised a curry afterwards at the pub courtesy of the beeb. By the time a much belated minuscule dollop of by now luke warm green gloop was deposited in our bowls two hours late most of the ‘cast’ had buggered off down to the Indian restaurant to stave off pangs of starvation!

Does anyone believe that filming all happens in single takes?
Does it matter if in filming a vehicle is on the left side when departing and the right when arriving? (or whatever the "error" was. Must admit I am not interested enough to check the precise fault)
If the only reason to watch a program is to pick production goofs in it, it is a bit sad :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back