Merton and Webster TV series

LOng term will have cannabus growers taking over, i have tried the rental thing and to be honest they cause more damage than you get for rental, many people today are one step up from animals.
The rental business in Bournemouth has recently gone very over the top.
This due to covid and staycations. Two bed self contained flat within walking distance to the beach,
currently £900 - £1,000 per week.

Regarding the tv documentary, I thought that it did a very good job of explaining motorhoming step by step to a novice.

Which we all were once.

Dezi

Do you have the 590?
How is the bed.
We have an island bed and a drop down one in our Chausson the drop down is better, (at least that's what I'm told)
Though the 740 rollerteam we looked at was cramped and dark inside.
I also thought it was ok entertainment. Trying to take a fwd where a 4x4 should go was a little funny....he will learn
Yes we have the 590.
The problem with the 740 and 745 is a tiny 300Kg payload with a manual gearbox, even less with an auto.
Ironic all that storage space but hardly any payload.
Its a nice van apart from that but its larger than what we wanted.
The drop down bed is comfy enough, but we are now minded towards a longitudinal bed.
But I would not hesitate to recommend the 590 with its 600kg payload.
Also this year they have added a few things.
A new larger improved hab door, external shower and barbecue point, and a wifi aerial on the roof.

Last edited:
I thought the program was ok. Merton did seem a little subdued but I put that down to him being out of his comfort zone. Got one of these a while back, great in the winter when the weather’s bad outside. I did wonder though about why a hire company provide one? Perhaps they brought it along with them?
5E293903-AF29-4054-AB5B-9D481D7B74E4.jpeg

Things like Merton and Webster give a completely false idea of what it is like to motorhome and idiots may buy one or hire one and clog up the available space expecting things to be like they are on the TV. As has been intimated, the parking situation is so very different. At Whitstable they parked on diagonal yellow lines (not even meant to stop there) so they rely on their production team to move the wagon and re-park it and it gives a completely false impression. They should not do it. Spoils it for the rest of us.

Things like Merton and Webster give a completely false idea of what it is like to motorhome and idiots may buy one or hire one and clog up the available space expecting things to be like they are on the TV. As has been intimated, the parking situation is so very different. At Whitstable they parked on diagonal yellow lines (not even meant to stop there) so they rely on their production team to move the wagon and re-park it and it gives a completely false impression. They should not do it. Spoils it for the rest of us.
Yes indeed.
I complained to the car dealer last time I bought a new car and then found the roads were not instantly clear of all traffic in front of me like in the TV Adverts.
Irresponsible or what!

I thought exactly the same, pulls up outside what looked like a lifeboat station on yellow hatching, jumped out to be entertained by a guy playing a hurdy gurdy, how perfect. Why not show the reality of it all, driving around for 1/2 an hour trying to find a parking space large enough for a MOHO then walking a couple of mile back into town because local council don't want us there. I nearly turned it off at that point but I'm glad I didn't because I would have missed another gem.

They were talking to the couple on the "wildcamp" with the VW about their portapotti, bearing in mind this is there 2nd night and they said they hadn't tried there toilet yet, WHAT, where have they been going! especially after all those oysters.

I thought exactly the same, pulls up outside what looked like a lifeboat station on yellow hatching, jumped out to be entertained by a guy playing a hurdy gurdy, how perfect. Why not show the reality of it all, driving around for 1/2 an hour trying to find a parking space large enough for a MOHO then walking a couple of mile back into town because local council don't want us there. I nearly turned it off at that point but I'm glad I didn't because I would have missed another gem.

They were talking to the couple on the "wildcamp" with the VW about their portapotti, bearing in mind this is there 2nd night and they said they hadn't tried there toilet yet, WHAT, where have they been going! especially after all those oysters.
Well they say s--t happens, eventually. 😂

Yes we have the 590.
The problem with the 740 and 745 is a tiny 300Kg payload with a manual gearbox, even less with an auto.
Ironic all that storage space but hardly any payload.
Its a nice van apart from that but its larger than what we wanted.
The drop down bed is comfy enough, but we are now minded towards a longitudinal bed.
But I would not hesitate to recommend the 590 with its 600kg payload.
Also this year they have added a few things.
A new larger improved hab door, external shower and barbecue point, and a wifi aerial on the roof.
We have one too. The drop down bed is a compromise that makes possible such a generous amount of living space in a 6m van, which when you’re in the van 8 months of the year is appreciated. We find the drop down bed comfy enough; the low level bed is an option we don’t use because we don’t want the faff of carting all the extra mattress bits with us and having a construction and bed making job every night.

We have one too. The drop down bed is a compromise that makes possible such a generous amount of living space in a 6m van, which when you’re in the van 8 months of the year is appreciated. We find the drop down bed comfy enough; the low level bed is an option we don’t use because we don’t want the faff of carting all the extra mattress bits with us and having a construction and bed making job every night.
The lower bed as you say is total faff, we only use it when our grandson is with us. He gets the drop down, and we get the lower bed that even with a topper is not very comfortable. Yes as you say you get a large lounge area in a 6m van, people are surprised when we show them inside. The 590 is a great van for what you pay, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a small A class.

Well ..... I actually enjoyed "5 go Motorhoming" unlike it seems everyone else here. It was good fun doing what it meant to do (which was not some kind of motorhoming documentary)

Merton and Webster yesterday I thought was good as well. Very different approach and was more of an informative style of programme than just light entertainment.
Never seen Suki, Paul's wife before but she seemed great fun (Paul on the other hand was very muted and the OH wondered if he had dementia or something!)

One thing which I think people coming to Motorhoming new might get the wrong impression about is how there will be a lack of personally reserved parking spaces for their motorhome, unlike Merton and Webster who had a space just right in front of everywhere they were visiting ;)
Totally agree. No way, in the real world, could you park right outside an attraction you planned to visit.
But that said, had quite a giggle at their banter.
Just nice we are being painted in a good light by mainstream media.

Merton and Webster on Channel 5

Right just watching the Second Episode.Sorry but im not convinced they are actually sleeping over in this Rollerteam Motorhome I feel they drive it around then stay over in a Posh Hotel. The Vehicle to me doesnt look lived in., not enough personal possesions. When they drove onto the Kendal ferry they were in the middle lane at the front BUT when the ferry left the dock they were parked at the rear right hand corner so how many film takes to do that clip?
I will post more observations as I watch the rest if I notice something BUT to me im not convinced.

Michael.

Merton and Webster on Channel 5

Right just watching the Second Episode.Sorry but im not convinced they are actually sleeping over in this Rollerteam Motorhome I feel they drive it around then stay over in a Posh Hotel. The Vehicle to me doesnt look lived in., not enough personal possesions. When they drove onto the Kendal ferry they were in the middle lane at the front BUT when the ferry left the dock they were parked at the rear right hand corner so how many film takes to do that clip?
I will post more observations as I watch the rest if I notice something BUT to me im not convinced.

Michael.
Micky I agree with what you are saying, but this programme is for the general public, and if they enjoy watching it, It makes a change from the media making stories up about us, or reporting things that would not be newsworthy if we were not involved. Will anyone with an open mind about us watch this and decide they dislike us, I very much doubt it. But some who watch this may just look at us in a different more favourable light.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back