LPG Gaslow, tank kits and other alternatives ooop North

Why not fit a tank???

You have to have the Alko Kit and two years ago they were £1400 and a bugger to fit apparently. If for some reason it doesn't work out with this van (Dont see why it wont) its a lot of money sat under the van which you cant move. I just dont like the idea of them under the van also.

My thoughts are if this is possible. Go for the 2 x 6kg Gaslow. (unfortunately also an expensive option) and if they have the right kit to easily take one bottle out and it a Calor in its place what I might do then is leave the Calor at home unless I am going somewhere where LPG is scarce like the Scottish Islands. For mainland Europe we should be ok with just Gaslow.

Or, just get one single 6kg Gaslow with a 6kg Calor by its side. This is less than ideal for Europe though or here for that matter if we are offgrid in one place for 3 or 4 weeks.

If you don't fancy the tank then one single 6kg Gaslow with a 6kg Calor by its side worked fine for us, but we never needed the Calor, but it gave peace of mind.

I don't see why you wouldn't take the Calor into Europe, it's only a backup for a day while you find GPL which although a bit scarce the app I used was good at finding them, I forget who suggested it but it was invaluable in each country we visited.

The website also worked well as at first I didn't have the app.

It was Bigshug
1719493904889.gif

If you don't fancy the tank then one single 6kg Gaslow with a 6kg Calor by its side worked fine for us, but we never needed the Calor, but it gave peace of mind.

I don't see why you wouldn't take the Calor into Europe, it's only a backup for a day while you find GPL which although a bit scarce the app I used was good at finding them, I forget who suggested it but it was invaluable in each country we visited.

The website also worked well as at first I didn't have the app.

It was Bigshug
View attachment 132503

Things may have changed but when we toured Europe we ended up leaving the Calor at home the last few years. It just wasnt needed. So easy to get LPG and of course we move around a bit more over there although I think we will stay put more in the future but maybe a week here, two weeks there etc tops. I would rather have 21 litres of gas onboard than 11.5 litres and a Calor backup. Depends what Autogas2000 say. If it can be set up so its just a case of literally swapping one Gaslow for one Calor and plugging it in then that might be the best option. Effectively you have the best of both worlds then. I also have the option in this country of then touring with one Calor and one 6kg Gaslow or I could if I chose, take the two 6 KG Gaslows and store a 6kg Gaslow under a seat. not sure about that though.

My Calor was not connected, I have a POL (female mushroom) fitting on it so it's the same as swapping the cylinders on Calor, only no lifting it out unless you run put of Calor, and I let them do it anyway.

My Calor was not connected, I have a POL (female mushroom) fitting on it so it's the same as swapping the cylinders on Calor, only no lifting it out unless you run put of Calor, and I let them do it anyway.
I was never able to remove my 11kg Gaslow as it was connected to the filler hose. I assume with a twin 6kg system the filler will be independent of the bottles so it might be easier to whip one out and stick a calor in it's place. Charlies lot will sort it I'm sure.

Look at this video I did aeons ago where I did a swap from a Calor 11kg, no room for a Calor backup cylinder in that locker :( :(, but other than a spare cylinder it is all in the video, the much room would simply swap onto the Calor next to it on yours.

This is the POL fitting that the Calor bottle mushroom fits into.
1719501605135.png

Last edited:
Look at this video I did aeons ago where I did a swap from a Calor 11kg, no room for a Calor backup cylinder in that locker :( :(, but other than a spare cylinder it is all in the video, the much room would simply swap onto the Calor next to it on yours.

View attachment 132511

Blimey Kev I expected you to sound a bit more norvern than that.

You're practically a chirpy little cockney sparrer an' no mistake!

View attachment 132511

Thanks. The trouble with that is its the same as my old one. The filler is going into the bottle. The object being that Ill need from time to time to remove the actual Gaslow bottle (or whatever refillable it is) and replace it with a temporary Calor. I have no idea how a twin Gaslow set up works though. Probably getting ahead of myself again but I want to understand the various options as much as possible before I turn up on the day and Chainsaw Charlie says WTF Do you want!!! :D

Thirsk are a good decent company.
Make sure if anyone gets an underslung tank fitted that it's mounted to a frame that is bolted to the chassis. There are some dodgy so called professionals out there so beware.

Thanks. The trouble with that is its the same as my old one. The filler is going into the bottle. The object being that Ill need from time to time to remove the actual Gaslow bottle (or whatever refillable it is) and replace it with a temporary Calor. I have no idea how a twin Gaslow set up works though. Probably getting ahead of myself again but I want to understand the various options as much as possible before I turn up on the day and Chainsaw Charlie says WTF Do you want!!! :D
Are you saying that it only has room for a single 6kg cylinder, I find that a bit unusual even for Swift.

Are you saying that it only has room for a single 6kg cylinder, I find that a bit unusual even for Swift.

No, it has room for 2 x 6kg cylinders. The question now is whether to go for 2 x 6kg Gaslow or 1 x 6kg Gaslow and a 6kg Calor backup. I would go for 2 x 6kg Gaslow if it was an easy process to change one of them now and again for a Calor. Ill need a Calor backup for example if I go to the Isle of Arran or places where there is no LPG.

I'd go with the tank in locker Barry and take a camping stove as backup.

It's not like you'll be doing too much cooking whilst you're trying to become less of a fat b*****d?

(no offence).

No, it has room for 2 x 6kg cylinders. The question now is whether to go for 2 x 6kg Gaslow or 1 x 6kg Gaslow and a 6kg Calor backup. I would go for 2 x 6kg Gaslow if it was an easy process to change one of them now and again for a Calor. Ill need a Calor backup for example if I go to the Isle of Arran or places where there is no LPG.
Ah right!!

if you do a setup like mine then it's as simple as swapping a bottle regardless of it being a refillable or Calor so long as the swapped ones have a mushroom end on the pipe so you can go that way.

Back