Highlands News - New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched...

Have you got a link to that. Because what I’ve read doesn’t suggest that, in fact it’s the exact opposite.

This is a voluntary ‘pass’ that doesn’t give access to these places.
Just clicked on read more on the link

Paying £40 to tour where I live? Should they install barriers at the border and charge VISITORS to Scotland and not residents?
I think it is to help provide the infrastructure of the area.

Yes, you are alredy paying taxes as local, but so are all the visitors.

Yes, they are using the infrstructure, but so are you.

I think it is to help provide the infrastructure of the area.

Yes, you are alredy paying taxes as local, but so are all the visitors.

Yes, they are using the infrstructure, but so are you.
And they in turn are welcome to come where I live and use my local infrastructure without paying £40 for the privilege. This is a president we don’t want to start Geek.

I’ve had the answer to my email.

With the pass, it’s free to stay. Without it, there is the invitation to pay £10 night. As this is an invitation and not enforceable, no tickets would be issued. Obviously no places can be reserved.

So that’s good 👍

I’ve had the answer to my email.

With the pass, it’s free to stay. Without it, there is the invitation to pay £10 night. As this is an invitation and not enforceable, no tickets would be issued. Obviously no places can be reserved.

So that’s good 👍

Seems mad to me. You can voluntarily pay £10 a night or voluntarily pay £40 per week and then sleep peacefully in the knowledge that the waster next door may have paid nothing.

I bet said waster has a good laugh about it as well, also at our expense!

Seems mad to me. You can voluntarily pay £10 a night or voluntarily pay £40 per week and then sleep peacefully in the knowledge that the waster next door may have paid nothing.

I bet said waster has a good laugh about it as well, also at our expense!

I prefer the term "Freeloader". Waster implies you are wasting summat. You are not, you are blagging summat for free! I would never do that of course. :love:

I prefer the term "Freeloader". Waster implies you are wasting summat. You are not, you are blagging summat for free! I would never do that of course. :love:

Don't get me wrong Barry, I'd blag summat for nowt if I possibly could.

It's the way they go about this that I find hard to believe. Trying to attract people to these stopovers with the offer if you voluntarily pay when in reality you could get there and the location be full of people who haven't paid!

To be honest I shouldn't call them wasters because they're doing nothing wrong.

Feckin scumbags! :LOL:

Don't get me wrong Barry, I'd blag summat for nowt if I possibly could.

It's the way they go about this that I find hard to believe. Trying to attract people to these stopovers with the offer if you voluntarily pay when in reality you could get there and the location be full of people who haven't paid!

To be honest I shouldn't call them wasters because they're doing nothing wrong.

Feckin scumbags! :LOL:

The French are worst freeloaders than we are! It used to be a national sport for them to disappear before the man or woman came round for the five Euros or whatever it costs on some of the bigger Aires in France. I remember on one Aire that was barrier controlled in early October in Landes south west France by one of the big lakes turning up and it was packed. Barrier controlled and I think about eight euros a night or something. Someone had discovered the machine wasnt working and it was basically a freebee or you maybe paid for one night and could stay as long as you want. There was literally a French bloke manning the barrier telling people how to stay for nothing. :LOL: Word had got around and some of them looked like they were there for the rest of the year. We left after one day.

The French are worst freeloaders than we are! It used to be a national sport for them to disappear before the man or woman came round for the five Euros or whatever it costs on some of the bigger Aires in France. I remember on one Aire that was barrier controlled in early October in Landes south west France by one of the big lakes turning up and it was packed. Barrier controlled and I think about eight euros a night or something. Someone had discovered the machine wasnt working and it was basically a freebee or you maybe paid for one night and could stay as long as you want. There was literally a French bloke manning the barrier telling people how to stay for nothing. :LOL: Word had got around and some of them looked like they were there for the rest of the year. We left after one day.
The French are also renowned to knacker the pay machine, then manually, and with some effort, raise the barrier manually, we viewed this being done at an aire at a lake in central France!!

The French are also renowned to knacker the pay machine, then manually, and with some effort, raise the barrier manually, we viewed this being done at an aire at a lake in central France!!

Never seen anything as bad as that to be fair. They like to nick stuff as well. Well they call it foraging. We often used to stay at a fantastic unofficial Aire at Collobreres just a few miles inland from St Tropez on the med coast. It was free but the village is known for its Chestnuts and they make Chestnut ice cream and all sorts of stuff. Its a charming place. The landowner who obviously lets motorhomes park on his land for free was outraged last time we were there as some of the motorhomers were picking chestnuts off his trees! Seen this behaviour in the Dordogne as well. If it were England that field would be shut down faster than you can say Height Barriers but as far as I am aware its still there.

Never seen anything as bad as that to be fair. They like to nick stuff as well. Well they call it foraging. We often used to stay at a fantastic unofficial Aire at Collobreres just a few miles inland from St Tropez on the med coast. It was free but the village is known for its Chestnuts and they make Chestnut ice cream and all sorts of stuff. Its a charming place. The landowner who obviously lets motorhomes park on his land for free was outraged last time we were there as some of the motorhomers were picking chestnuts off his trees! Seen this behaviour in the Dordogne as well. If it were England that field would be shut down faster than you can say Height Barriers but as far as I am aware its still there.

I've heard quite a lot of such stuff about the French being a bit dodgy about paying Barry and about thieving. as well as other European visitors, hence my question in post #15.

I've heard quite a lot of such stuff about the French being a bit dodgy about paying Barry and about thieving. as well as other European visitors, hence my question in post #15.
Don't get me wrong I like the French. In the last couple of decades I've spent more time there than most for sure but they are funny and definitely always up for a bit of freeloading. I suppose they are a bit eccentric but then so are we.

Don't get me wrong I like the French. In the last couple of decades I've spent more time there than most for sure but they are funny and definitely always up for a bit of freeloading. I suppose they are a bit eccentric but then so are we.

I like them too Barry.

I've worked in France a bit and they really look after you over there especially for food and wine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:233)

mark61, cornish hymer, Gadabout2, guerdeval, Bouydog, runnach, Rogerdodge, caledonia, NSY, Ian and Cath, shortcircuit, Robmac, MartinFife, mistericeman, 2cv, Alberto, Makzine, Jo001, mikejay, CHAIRMAN, Tim120, alcam, Tonybvi, helmit, Scotia, wildebus, Biggarmac, izwozral, Fisherman, Tezza33, Martin P, bmc, Fazerloz, Bigshug, clarkpeacock, VandA, Hotrats13, campervanannie, bdastu, Victor, robert webber, 1 Cup, The laird, TeamRienza, Wheelie, number14, Obanboy666, TJBi, longtoedsloth, tony, Tapfitter, Squeegee, Steve and Julie, marchie, jann, korky, Norfolk NewBoy, lthoel2, amcjam, Phantom, Heppy, davep10000, Ali-lou, belbri, rugbyken, andyjanet, Glandwr, ricc, Ex Greeny, Rapido9, mariesnowgoose, Wully, Monkeybrand, RSD7a, Owen M, HurricaneSmith, ton27, jeanette, Canalsman, Clunegapyears, BarryNo1, Wooie1958, ahyslop, Winterskp, ajb70, hellofriend, dekaz, Pudsey Bear, Rob H, Boris7, Adriafan, jacquigem, Henrym, davef, Antonio, Hughendon, TonyandJo, Lizzo, Thistle, gasgas, Ken Parsons, TheMillers, Benylin, Ted, Rumour, AllanD, Eric The Viking, RichardHelen262, Weefifer, Sheila Bryant, harrow, Charlynch, JonnoR, UFO, kensowerby, peejay, barryd, chrishunter, Val54, JVG, Jeavsy, Firefox, jagmanx, flying kipper, reiverlad, exwindsurfer, Debroos, Mossystone, DTF, trixie88, colinm, petermotorhome, ramblefrog, MartinCurren, RogerO, terrywolf, Tartarus, yeoblade, Dougbobbill, mike w, ewen, fiona b, Muddypuddler, Sue Paskins, SYK690, chrismatthews00, Glass man, Alun100, Otter1959, Wardy73, GMJ, Lib, Northumborman, 13der5, Doigy, geoffnmurph, Rolyan57, jaybeeonline, Alf, Whereisdave, Gerry Attrick, Livotlout, Dethy, Harrers, Rutaria, ironman, Matthew362, merl, Elfit, V1nny, barge1914, scampa, TeamPuffin, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, yorkslass, Nabsim, sueb, royh28, Graham B, tribute11, Andylynne, David Glassford, Goofer, Apollo 13, Admin, SquirrellCook, Chrishrock, molly 2, The Jacks, smg, Drover, Rosehip, kevlakes, DAVEY, Team ST, Mikecoo, tobym, bnb080, Dave7284, Daz65, Budgie, groyne, Hornet49, Redcallaway1, MrU, Geek, Matchlock, Rod, denmar, jstokesedi, Vivall, Kennymac, Walkingmox, 1807truckman, linkshouse, gripseven, Gazzer01, JQB, Lee, mick n jules, Gerti58, witzend, andyt362, watson, jeffmossy, Sgrockle, Mickrick, bobemmo29, kernewek, Elliot, Canonball, Munroz, peter palance,
Back