Highlands News - New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched...

But that assumes that you need a service point every day, which seems a bit unusual!
The cassette needs emptied each day, not unusual with a high fibre diet, according to the regular reports ...

Steve

They would never get away with enforcing it I don't think Rob and it would require loads of legislation. Can't see how it would work. Its a good idea if it helps set up the infrastructure I guess and you get something for that money but the idea of charging just one sector of travellers only to visit somewhere is discriminatory I reckon.
Poorer families with basic self-builds would avoid Scotland altogether if it became compulsory, we certainly won't be paying it.

And they in turn are welcome to come where I live and use my local infrastructure without paying £40 for the privilege. This is a president we don’t want to start Geek.
They are welcome (for varying values of 'welcome') to stay anywhere wirh or without the £40. The point is about providing a way for people to actively contribute towards the places they visit.

They are welcome (for varying values of 'welcome') to stay anywhere wirh or without the £40. The point is about providing a way for people to actively contribute towards the places they visit.
What’s required in my honest opinion is national government allocating a small percentage of what WE pay in taxes towards these provisions. We are not talking large amounts of money here. But for me this goes well beyond finances, it has more to do with negative attitudes towards us from a population who are both ignorant of what we do and have read nothing positive about us on various media outlets over the years. Until attitudes change towards us, (if they ever do) I doubt if the finances will ever come to fruition.

Last edited:
They would never get away with enforcing it I don't think Rob and it would require loads of legislation. Can't see how it would work. Its a good idea if it helps set up the infrastructure I guess and you get something for that money but the idea of charging just one sector of travellers only to visit somewhere is discriminatory I reckon.
But that’s not quite how it’s happening is it. All travellers (cars, buses, bikes, minibus etc) can visit and pay the same price. They can all park free overnight. But then one sector wants to camp overnight, and benefits from water, waste etc. So the donation is to cover them. Thats not really discrimination in my opinion.

But that’s not quite how it’s happening is it. All travellers (cars, buses, bikes, minibus etc) can visit and pay the same price. They can all park free overnight. But then one sector wants to camp overnight, and benefits from water, waste etc. So the donation is to cover them. Thats not really discrimination in my opinion.
I was more referring to if a fee just for motorhomers and nobody else was enforced, not this scheme.

Some folks don’t like travelling with water and like to empty their cassette every day. If you are like this then the scheme will save you some money probably and is a good thing. So long as you don’t make the mistake of stopping on any campsites and there are actually spaces.

I just don’t get it, why would anyone be happy that more costs are being imposed???

If you have a self contained van just get out there and pull over in a nice spot. It’s that easy

Some folks don’t like travelling with water and like to empty their cassette every day. If you are like this then the scheme will save you some money probably and is a good thing. So long as you don’t make the mistake of stopping on any campsites and there are actually spaces.

I just don’t get it, why would anyone be happy that more costs are being imposed???

If you have a self contained van just get out there and pull over in a nice spot. It’s that easy
Not everybody feels comfortable or safe doing that. So they’re prepared to pay a relatively small amount for a carpark, probably with other vehicles, and services. It’s all horses for courses.

I was more referring to if a fee just for motorhomers and nobody else was enforced, not this scheme.
I’ve never seen a scheme that discriminates against Motorhome’s parking. Personally I don’t think charging for Motorhomes to ‘camp’ overnight, but not cars parked and left empty, is discrimination.

I’ve never seen a scheme that discriminates against Motorhome’s parking. Personally I don’t think charging for Motorhomes to ‘camp’ overnight, but not cars parked and left empty, is discrimination.

I think we are talking about two different things. There is an opinion that in the highlands that some kind of tax / charge should be imposed just for all motorhomes / camper vans travelling there regardless of where they stop. I agree, there is nothing discriminatory about a chain of leisure centres charging just for motorhomes to park overnight or any car park for that matter but I think those that are against us want more than that.

There are MANY carparks that prohibit Motorhomes, Campervans and Motor Caravans (the wording used varies) from using the carpark at ANY time and not just "no overnight parking".

There are MANY carparks that prohibit Motorhomes, Campervans and Motor Caravans (the wording used varies) from using the carpark at ANY time and not just "no overnight parking".
I am on Arran right now David and there are lots of signs specifically mentioning motorhomes, all of them unenforceable, and they create issues. I am on a small carpark which can only take four vans, but every other carpark in Lamlash has these signs. Then locals turn up to park their cars and it’s full with just four vans. If only they allowed limited parking in one of the towns car parks it would help prevent this. And Arran on the whole is motorhome friendly.

I am on Arran right now David and there are lots of signs specifically mentioning motorhomes, all of them unenforceable, and they create issues. I am on a small carpark which can only take four vans, but every other carpark in Lamlash has these signs. Then locals turn up to park their cars and it’s full with just four vans. If only they allowed limited parking in one of the towns car parks it would help prevent this. And Arran on the whole is motorhome friendly.

Have they put up new signs Bill or are you just talking about the ones on the main car parks in Lamlash?

Have they put up new signs Bill or are you just talking about the ones on the main car parks in Lamlash?
No just the usual no overnight parking for caravans and motorhomes. So Kerr point is the only carpark without these unenforceable signs Barry.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back