Highlands News - New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched...

No just the usual no overnight parking for caravans and motorhomes. So Kerr point is the only carpark without these unenforceable signs Barry.

Thats a relief. I would hate to see those signs go up there whether enforceable or not. We did ponder going this year but looks like we are heading south.

Thats a relief. I would hate to see those signs go up there whether enforceable or not. We did ponder going this year but looks like we are heading south.
Just for you Barry taken seconds ago :)
IMG_7863.jpeg

I think we are talking about two different things. There is an opinion that in the highlands that some kind of tax / charge should be imposed just for all motorhomes / camper vans travelling there regardless of where they stop. I agree, there is nothing discriminatory about a chain of leisure centres charging just for motorhomes to park overnight or any car park for that matter but I think those that are against us want more than that.
Ah right. I agree that a charge just to travel there, that only applies to Motorhome’s, is discriminatory.

There are MANY carparks that prohibit Motorhomes, Campervans and Motor Caravans (the wording used varies) from using the carpark at ANY time and not just "no overnight parking".
Correct, but I wasn’t referring to them. I meant (but perhaps didn’t explain) that where parking is allowed, it’s usually the same cost and conditions.

I agree that some carparks don’t allow vans/motorhomes. While it’s frustrating, I can understand some of their concerns. If I come across that I just go elsewhere.

Some folks don’t like travelling with water and like to empty their cassette every day. If you are like this then the scheme will save you some money probably and is a good thing. So long as you don’t make the mistake of stopping on any campsites and there are actually spaces.

I just don’t get it, why would anyone be happy that more costs are being imposed???

If you have a self contained van just get out there and pull over in a nice spot. It’s that easy

Some folks don’t like travelling with water and like to empty their cassette every day. If you are like this then the scheme will save you some money probably and is a good thing. So long as you don’t make the mistake of stopping on any campsites and there are actually spaces.

I just don’t get it, why would anyone be happy that more costs are being imposed???

If you have a self contained van just get out there and pull over in a nice spot. It’s that easy
This is happening more and more .
Many praise the Camping Car Park company in France . Yes they provide decent [usually] aires but they are eroding the aire system in France .
Fife council [for example] are actually working to cater for us but charging £10 a night .
I have used the above and , of course , pay .
Have been in carparks overnight [no facilities] where we pay and cars don't . Feels wrong to me

This is happening more and more .
Many praise the Camping Car Park company in France . Yes they provide decent [usually] aires but they are eroding the aire system in France .
Fife council [for example] are actually working to cater for us but charging £10 a night .
I have used the above and , of course , pay .
Have been in carparks overnight [no facilities] where we pay and cars don't . Feels wrong to me
I just accept that difference as between someone camping up and using it as a stopover with cooking, eating and sleeping, and a car that is parked and left empty. I can see the difference, although I appreciate that not everyone agrees.

Many praise the Camping Car Park company in France .
We've used some of the CCP sites, and they are fine. But what really annoys me about them is that you can book in advance (provided you pay for premium membership :rolleyes: )

The whole ethos of aires for me is just turn up and hope to get on. We went to Noirmoutier last year, and the aire we expected to visit had been taken over by CCP. The electronic noticeboard outside said there were (20?) free spaces, but the barrier wouldn't open to let us in. A French motorhomer said it was because the spaces had been reserved.

However. We parked on the original aire area (which was massive) along with about 60 other vans. Now, this is where you can draw positive comparisons with the UK, because the next morning a police officer knocked on the door. She explained we shouldn't have stayed overnight, but not to worry because there would be no fine. We should feel free to spend the day, visit the local area and enjoy our visit; just not stay there a second night.

And people wonder why we don't holiday more in the UK ...

We've used some of the CCP sites, and they are fine. But what really annoys me about them is that you can book in advance (provided you pay for premium membership :rolleyes: )

The whole ethos of aires for me is just turn up and hope to get on. We went to Noirmoutier last year, and the aire we expected to visit had been taken over by CCP. The electronic noticeboard outside said there were (20?) free spaces, but the barrier wouldn't open to let us in. A French motorhomer said it was because the spaces had been reserved.

However. We parked on the original aire area (which was massive) along with about 60 other vans. Now, this is where you can draw positive comparisons with the UK, because the next morning a police officer knocked on the door. She explained we shouldn't have stayed overnight, but not to worry because there would be no fine. We should feel free to spend the day, visit the local area and enjoy our visit; just not stay there a second night.

Yes handled well by the police but sums up what CCP are doing.

Yes, I’m wondering what about that story means you don’t holiday in the U.K. any more.

Yes, I’m wondering what about that story means you don’t holiday in the U.K. any more.
Just the attitude - explaining to us that we inadvertently had done something we shouldnt, but not making it into a major issue, or fining us - instead, welcoming us to the area and inviting us to enjoy the day there.

We do still holiday in the UK but not as much as we would if it were more welcoming.

Just the attitude - explaining to us that we inadvertently had done something we shouldnt, but not making it into a major issue, or fining us - instead, welcoming us to the area and inviting us to enjoy the day there.

We do still holiday in the UK but not as much as we would if it were more welcoming.
It’s really difficult, because we all have different experiences, depending on just what we want, expectations etc.

I’ve always felt extremely welcome throughout all the U.K. I’ve never had any issues in the campervan and never been fined. Most interactions with authorities have been fine. Yes, there are areas where overnight stops are not allowed, but there is everywhere, home and abroad, Europe and further afield. These is also officialdom everywhere, that can be very much ‘do what I say’ and unfriendly.

I’ve been lucky to travel the world, and done most of it independently, months at a time. Thats helped me realise just how good the U.K. is.

Well done Marie, I have not had time to read the full article, but the cat is well and truly out of the bag. We are perceived as cash cows by so many. It’s been well known and covered in the past how those campsite owners perceive us. I have just spent a great week on Arran with my grandson. We spent one night on an Aire and the rest of the week on locations that no campsite could compete with in terms of environment, views, or solitude. These things are far more important to me and most of us than any campsite, were the only view available is the rear end of someone else’s van, and filled with people who lack manners. If my only option was to use campsites, I would sell my van ASAP. Campsites have their use, but they should be used as sparingly as possible.
I did not buy my Motorhome to support campsite owners who clearly despise us, or to support local economies who would rather see us banned.

"Motorhome users, who could pay up to £1,500 a week to hire their vehicle, were shunning established sites in search for the cheapest overnight option with the council scheme further exacerbating the problem, Mrs Redfern said".

I think she destroyed her own argument there from a hirers point of view. If they are paying £1500 then 7 nights a week paying extortionate campsite prices for mostly unnecessary facilities makes for one hell of a bloody expensive holiday!

"Motorhome users, who could pay up to £1,500 a week to hire their vehicle, were shunning established sites in search for the cheapest overnight option with the council scheme further exacerbating the problem, Mrs Redfern said".

I think she destroyed her own argument there from a hirers point of view. If they are paying £1500 then 7 nights a week paying extortionate campsite prices for mostly unnecessary facilities makes for one hell of a bloody expensive holiday!
I think it’s a weird argument anyway. We can currently stop there and pay nothing (it’s voluntary), or £10 night if we choose (again voluntary) of £40 a week if we choose (again it’s voluntary). But the pass does not give any access to anything that is not currently available for free, and spaces cannot be reserved. So I’m not sure how they think it will increase numbers or how the situation is different to before the pass was introduced.

I think it’s a weird argument anyway. We can currently stop there and pay nothing (it’s voluntary), or £10 night if we choose (again voluntary) of £40 a week if we choose (again it’s voluntary). But the pass does not give any access to anything that is not currently available for free, and spaces cannot be reserved. So I’m not sure how they think it will increase numbers or how the situation is different to before the pass was introduced.
I agree, but at least these campsite owners are showing their hands.
Forty of them complaining about us not using their campsites, is no different from pubs complaining about us not buying their fare. They just don’t get it, we don’t always need or want to use campsites, nor should we have to. If their business’s are struggling that has nothing to do with us or highland council.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:279)

mark61, cornish hymer, Gadabout2, guerdeval, Bouydog, runnach, Rogerdodge, caledonia, NSY, Ian and Cath, shortcircuit, Robmac, MartinFife, mistericeman, 2cv, Alberto, Makzine, Jo001, mikejay, CHAIRMAN, Tim120, alcam, Tonybvi, helmit, Scotia, wildebus, Biggarmac, izwozral, Fisherman, Tezza33, Martin P, bmc, Fazerloz, Bigshug, clarkpeacock, VandA, Hotrats13, campervanannie, bdastu, Victor, robert webber, 1 Cup, The laird, TeamRienza, Wheelie, number14, Obanboy666, TJBi, longtoedsloth, tony, Tapfitter, Squeegee, Steve and Julie, marchie, jann, korky, Norfolk NewBoy, lthoel2, amcjam, Phantom, Heppy, davep10000, Ali-lou, belbri, rugbyken, andyjanet, Glandwr, ricc, Ex Greeny, Rapido9, mariesnowgoose, Wully, Monkeybrand, RSD7a, Owen M, HurricaneSmith, ton27, jeanette, Canalsman, Clunegapyears, BarryNo1, Wooie1958, ahyslop, Winterskp, ajb70, hellofriend, dekaz, Pudsey Bear, Rob H, Boris7, Adriafan, jacquigem, Henrym, davef, Antonio, Hughendon, TonyandJo, Lizzo, Thistle, gasgas, Ken Parsons, TheMillers, Benylin, Ted, Rumour, AllanD, Eric The Viking, RichardHelen262, Weefifer, Sheila Bryant, harrow, Charlynch, JonnoR, UFO, kensowerby, peejay, barryd, chrishunter, Val54, JVG, Jeavsy, Firefox, jagmanx, flying kipper, reiverlad, exwindsurfer, Debroos, Mossystone, DTF, trixie88, colinm, petermotorhome, ramblefrog, MartinCurren, RogerO, terrywolf, Tartarus, yeoblade, Dougbobbill, mike w, ewen, fiona b, Muddypuddler, Sue Paskins, SYK690, chrismatthews00, Glass man, Alun100, Otter1959, Wardy73, GMJ, Lib, Northumborman, 13der5, Doigy, geoffnmurph, Rolyan57, jaybeeonline, Alf, Whereisdave, Gerry Attrick, Livotlout, Dethy, Harrers, Rutaria, ironman, Matthew362, merl, Elfit, V1nny, barge1914, scampa, TeamPuffin, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, yorkslass, Nabsim, sueb, royh28, Graham B, tribute11, Andylynne, David Glassford, Goofer, Apollo 13, Admin, SquirrellCook, Chrishrock, molly 2, The Jacks, smg, Drover, Rosehip, kevlakes, DAVEY, Team ST, Mikecoo, tobym, bnb080, Dave7284, Daz65, Budgie, groyne, Hornet49, Redcallaway1, MrU, Geek, Matchlock, Rod, denmar, jstokesedi, Vivall, Kennymac, Walkingmox, 1807truckman, linkshouse, gripseven, Gazzer01, JQB, Lee, mick n jules, Gerti58, witzend, andyt362, watson, jeffmossy, Sgrockle, Mickrick, bobemmo29, kernewek, Elliot, Canonball, Munroz, peter palance, REC, murfyxt, marsden, matbic, Lizzie, Faith shields, Nesting Zombie, Sheena, Quiddle, Veloman, DSR, jimmybanks41, Conroy, MrSoapsud, RichyP, s4x4c, Moonraker 2, alca, McHazy, BigD003, Sagethyme, Andrewhr, seagoon, alan1958, Mad Pierrre, DavieR, AnneL, AndyJL, Lindaforde, Patandtubs, Juanita, Hogweed, Hobie, Moped, Wightman, vwalan, Bubble, Sean, Stevie 25, Vatsmith, Chico60, Moocher, Tim1953, Maguika1, adriandp, mjvw,
Back