Highlands News - New £40 voluntary campervan pass launched...

From what I can gather its mainly I think leisure centre car parks where you can currently stay for £10 a night that are on offer for £40 a week. I dont think its anything more than that.
I don’t think anything’s on offer though. You’ll still have to pay the £10 a night even with this pass and it’s still first come first served.

I don’t think anything’s on offer though. You’ll still have to pay the £10 a night even with this pass and it’s still first come first served.

Are you sure? I am sure I read it covers you for 7 days in these places.

A lot of popular places in Germany, Austria, Switzerland charge a tourist tax, but there you get something back by way of discounts at various attractions, castles, boat trips, restaurants etc. and usually also free local bus travel. Which helps local businesses and gets people out of their cars and vans onto the busses. In happy to put money in by way of reasonable charges for overnight stay and services, but an extra £40 a week for little or no tangible benefits seems more difficult to swallow.

I have to disagree Steve. I spent most of the Winter in Scotland and whenever I needed to use services I went to places that had them and paid what they asked. I don't see why I should pay over £5 a day just because I am in the Highlands. As an aside most camp sites were closed down over the Winter (including the big moaners right up the top) and a lot of the areas were frozen solid so no water available. I ended up coming back to England due to the lack of water, there weren't even supermarkets where you can but it from (don't suggest the little bottles lol).
In the UK we are taxed on taxes, its time we all said enough!
I am happy to disagree, Neil. If we start with the classic Economics model of just 2 parties/components to avoid the complications of 'all those noughts blurring one's understanding', let's assume that Town A has an Aire and charges £5 per day to stay and use the facilities, the cost recognising that the fees must contribute to the capital cost of the project. The fees contribute £1 to the local economy, and the retail businesses are able to withstand a £1 payment in Business Rates/Taxes from the extra business revenues derived from Motorhome Tourism

Town B sets up the same Aire, but does not charge a nightly fee, because it does not want to limit usage of the facilities by cost conscious Motorhomers [Hawick is a good Scottish example as I have posted about with the immediate post COVID Lockdown 'coincidental Gathering'] that was free but the collected receipts from the 40 M/Homes exceeded £4,000 local business takings]. The local businesses receive a boost from the extra tourism, and their Business Rates can cover the £2 cost of the Aire. Coincidental benefits are a reduction in socially irresponsible Motorhoming e.g. emptying cassettes in public toilets, and it is for the local authority to enforce collection of fees from tent &/or car campers. As I've said, there is no obligation to provide the Aires at local authority level, but their presence will attract business. As far as being singled out is concerned, perhaps fellow M/Homers should complain about us, because their taxes ontribute to the NHS, and we each seem to have acquired a major chunk of the 'free at the point of delivery' care through the hospital system. A socially responsible tax system ensures that the services are present and funded, and the individual taxpayers will pay differing rates and amounts based on the individual's income, irrespective of whether the higher income earners actually consume their 'fair share' of the service provision

Steve

Yes it does include parking in certain places . Makes a bit more sense now
Have you got a link to that. Because what I’ve read doesn’t suggest that, in fact it’s the exact opposite.

This is a voluntary ‘pass’ that doesn’t give access to these places.

From what I’ve read it does not grant free stopovers. Think about it. These places charge £10. They want to raise money. So if you currently stay 7 nights they will get £70. They aren’t giving you that for £40.

From what I’ve read this is a voluntary donation that does not grant access or free stays.

From what I’ve read it does not grant free stopovers. Think about it. These places charge £10. They want to raise money. So if you currently stay 7 nights they will get £70. They aren’t giving you that for £40.

From what I’ve read this is a voluntary donation that does not grant access or free stays.

It does according to their FAQ's if you click on the link on Page 1 of this thread. Well not free, membership costs £40 for seven days.

This is copied and pasted from the FAQ PDF

FAQ’s 3.1 What benefits are included with the scheme?

The Highland Campervan and Motorhome Scheme includes the following benefits which have been selected to enhance your visit to the area:

• Inclusive overnight parking at our network of designated car parks (See Map of Sites on the website www.highland.gov.uk/motorhome)

• Contribution to the Highland Restoration Fund which is designed to help support projects that will deliver nature restoration, safeguard wildlife, and tackle the causes of biodiversity loss due to climate change – this is initially set as 1% for every £100K of income generated

• Direct investment for sustainable tourism and to enhance visitor experiences

• An investment fund of £2.25M has been committed by the Council to improve existing infrastructure and to provide more Council owned sites

• Free daily access to showering and changing in any High Life Highland leisure location(external link) during normal opening

It does according to their FAQ's if you click on the link on Page 1 of this thread. Well not free, membership costs £40 for seven days.

The Highland Campervan and Motorhome Scheme includes the following benefits which have been selected to enhance your visit to the area:

• Inclusive overnight parking at our network of designated car parks (See Map of Sites on the website www.highland.gov.uk/motorhome)

• Contribution to the Highland Restoration Fund which is designed to help support projects that will deliver nature restoration, safeguard wildlife, and tackle the causes of biodiversity loss due to climate change – this is initially set as 1% for every £100K of income generated

• An investment fund of £2.25M has been committed by the Council to improve existing infrastructure and to provide more Council owned sites

• Free daily access to showering and changing in any High Life Highland leisure location(external link) during normal opening

I wonder how they police this Barry? Do you know what format the pass is?

Overnight parking at the designated car parks is free between 22.00 and 08.00 provided there are spaces available, the daytime charges will apply at all other times. I'm guessing that the parking control officers will have a list of vehicle registrations that are valid on that day, interestingly the FAQ page does give a email address should a PCN be issued in error. As regards the use of leisure centres, presumably you will receive an email or QR code that can be shown to staff?

From those comments it does appear as if parking is included. Which I can only assume means that a lot of people don’t pay. So getting £40 guaranteed is better than £70 not paid by some.

Last edited:

It sure does look like charges are covered. Thats really good then.

I wonder how they police this Barry? Do you know what format the pass is?

Don't know Rob. On their FAQ's one of the questions is what if I get a parking ticket. I think there was an email address or something. I got the impression the pass was just an email.

It sure does look like charges are covered. Thats really good then.

Or does it mean that the designated car parks currently ban motorhomes overnighting but the pass will allow you to overnight if you pay the £10 - in other words you are paying £40 to get around the vehicle restriction?

Confusing?

Don't know Rob. On their FAQ's one of the questions is what if I get a parking ticket. I think there was an email address or something. I got the impression the pass was just an email.

Dunno why I'm asking really Barry as I very rarely use car parks anyway! :giggle:

Or does it mean that the designated car parks currently ban motorhomes overnighting but the pass will allow you to overnight if you pay the £10 - in other words you are paying £40 to get around the vehicle restriction?

Confusing?

No I don't think so. I think its £10 for anyone else. I think parking has been offered at these leisure centres for a while.

Confusing?
Don’t make me doubt myself 😂

I was convinced this is just a voluntary payment that doesn’t give access or free stays when others have to pay.

I still think it’s a funny way of raising money to create a pass that generates £40 instead of £70.

The logical part of me still thinks many have got this wrong. There’s only one answer…I’m going to email them and ask them direct.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:232)

mark61, cornish hymer, Gadabout2, guerdeval, Bouydog, runnach, Rogerdodge, caledonia, NSY, Ian and Cath, shortcircuit, Robmac, MartinFife, mistericeman, 2cv, Alberto, Makzine, Jo001, mikejay, CHAIRMAN, Tim120, alcam, Tonybvi, helmit, Scotia, wildebus, Biggarmac, izwozral, Fisherman, Tezza33, Martin P, bmc, Fazerloz, Bigshug, clarkpeacock, VandA, Hotrats13, campervanannie, bdastu, Victor, robert webber, 1 Cup, The laird, TeamRienza, Wheelie, number14, Obanboy666, TJBi, longtoedsloth, tony, Tapfitter, Squeegee, Steve and Julie, marchie, jann, korky, Norfolk NewBoy, lthoel2, amcjam, Phantom, Heppy, davep10000, Ali-lou, belbri, rugbyken, andyjanet, Glandwr, ricc, Ex Greeny, Rapido9, mariesnowgoose, Wully, Monkeybrand, RSD7a, Owen M, HurricaneSmith, ton27, jeanette, Canalsman, Clunegapyears, BarryNo1, Wooie1958, ahyslop, Winterskp, ajb70, hellofriend, dekaz, Pudsey Bear, Rob H, Boris7, Adriafan, jacquigem, Henrym, davef, Antonio, Hughendon, TonyandJo, Lizzo, Thistle, gasgas, Ken Parsons, TheMillers, Benylin, Ted, Rumour, AllanD, Eric The Viking, RichardHelen262, Weefifer, Sheila Bryant, harrow, Charlynch, JonnoR, UFO, kensowerby, peejay, barryd, chrishunter, Val54, JVG, Jeavsy, Firefox, jagmanx, flying kipper, reiverlad, exwindsurfer, Debroos, Mossystone, DTF, trixie88, colinm, petermotorhome, ramblefrog, MartinCurren, RogerO, terrywolf, Tartarus, yeoblade, Dougbobbill, mike w, ewen, fiona b, Muddypuddler, Sue Paskins, SYK690, chrismatthews00, Glass man, Alun100, Otter1959, Wardy73, GMJ, Lib, Northumborman, 13der5, Doigy, geoffnmurph, Rolyan57, jaybeeonline, Alf, Whereisdave, Gerry Attrick, Livotlout, Dethy, Harrers, Rutaria, ironman, Matthew362, merl, Elfit, V1nny, barge1914, scampa, TeamPuffin, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, yorkslass, Nabsim, sueb, royh28, Graham B, tribute11, Andylynne, David Glassford, Goofer, Apollo 13, Admin, SquirrellCook, Chrishrock, molly 2, The Jacks, smg, Drover, Rosehip, kevlakes, DAVEY, Team ST, Mikecoo, tobym, bnb080, Dave7284, Daz65, Budgie, groyne, Hornet49, Redcallaway1, MrU, Geek, Matchlock, Rod, denmar, jstokesedi, Vivall, Kennymac, Walkingmox, 1807truckman, linkshouse, gripseven, Gazzer01, JQB, Lee, mick n jules, Gerti58, witzend, andyt362, watson, jeffmossy, Sgrockle, Mickrick, bobemmo29, kernewek, Elliot, Canonball, Munroz,
Back