C&CC Price Rises

Good move, hope to visit you sometime in the future.

Most of us probably use very little but not all. We have all seen the awning heaters go on when the evenings become cooler. One CL site owner I spoke to earlier in the year told me about one visitor in last years heatwave who used a vast amount of electricity running their air conditioning. They left the aircon on all day with the windows and doors wide open in a ridiculous attempt to try and cool the awning they were sitting in. I would much rather idiots paid for their own wastefulness, I don’t want to subsidise them.

I've spoken to a fair few CL owners over the years who tell similar stories. It's the old "I've paid for it so I'm going to use it" selfish attitude. Most of them reckoned Tuggers were the worst offenders. I guess they generally are the ones that turn up for a week or two with massive awnings. This of course was before the UK ended up with the highest electricity charges in the world!

I'll actively avoid CLs with hookup between April and October though mainly because we don't need ehu then but some of their prices now are really rocketing. It's a shame hardly any have two rates though as it means about 70% are no good for us during summer.

I work for the C&CC, so this post will clarify some of the points on this thread. It’s for info NOT to criticise anyone’s points.
The energy bill for the whole of the club sites runs into millions, so the 300,000 might well be for one site, if it’s a large one. The govts business energy support has been lifted and there is no price cap because it’s a business. The C&MC will have similar issues I assume.
You can book one night stays on the day of arrival for any pitch. Some sites you can book one night in advance, on a H/S with electric, (recent rule change this season), but it is site specific.
If you are registered for the “Age Concession”, you can get a discount on your pitch fee, but you MUST have your membership card as proof. You can register at the site and they will amend your bill.
The minimum night rule is one many members support and don’t want to change. Remember as members we all sign to agree to the rules and T&C’s on the bookings. It’s to allow people being able to book multi night stays and not have the sites being used as overnight stops. “Tuggers rules!
There is a 30% discount on grass only pitches it’s on the website and you need to be a member, ( WITH YOUR CARD), and the code GRASS30. There are other offers on. If you log on to the website, or app, ( which is better than the website, which is unwieldy!) there is a section on there which explains them all.
The MSP facility which is about 7 quid-ish, allows MEMBERS ONLY, to use the facilities on a site for up to three hours. Was stopped during Covid, but is back on, but time dependent. By that I mean turning up at 13.00 when 30 people are wanting to book on and you want to empty your cassette might not produced the response from the site staff you might want! And of course it’s only during office hours, so after 09.00 and upto 18.00 ONLY please.
And my own comment. Please, pretty please, be aware of the weather when asking for a grass pitch! Be guided by the site staff when they tell you taking your 3.5 tonnes van on a field that’s had a few days torrential rain, has the potential for disaster for everyone. No site has the capability, staff experience or insurance liability to tow you off! And your insurance might not cover you. I’ve seen that happen btw. The number of motorhome owners who ignore advice on that is larger than you would think. It seems the “I’ve booked a grass pitch and I’m having it!” Mindset overrules common sense at times!
I think that’s clarified most points. Like I said it’s not a criticism of points raised just clarification.
Don’t have nightmares! 😉

I work for the C&CC, so this post will clarify some of the points on this thread. It’s for info NOT to criticise anyone’s points.
The energy bill for the whole of the club sites runs into millions, so the 300,000 might well be for one site, if it’s a large one. The govts business energy support has been lifted and there is no price cap because it’s a business. The C&MC will have similar issues I assume.
You can book one night stays on the day of arrival for any pitch. Some sites you can book one night in advance, on a H/S with electric, (recent rule change this season), but it is site specific.
If you are registered for the “Age Concession”, you can get a discount on your pitch fee, but you MUST have your membership card as proof. You can register at the site and they will amend your bill.
The minimum night rule is one many members support and don’t want to change. Remember as members we all sign to agree to the rules and T&C’s on the bookings. It’s to allow people being able to book multi night stays and not have the sites being used as overnight stops. “Tuggers rules!
There is a 30% discount on grass only pitches it’s on the website and you need to be a member, ( WITH YOUR CARD), and the code GRASS30. There are other offers on. If you log on to the website, or app, ( which is better than the website, which is unwieldy!) there is a section on there which explains them all.
The MSP facility which is about 7 quid-ish, allows MEMBERS ONLY, to use the facilities on a site for up to three hours. Was stopped during Covid, but is back on, but time dependent. By that I mean turning up at 13.00 when 30 people are wanting to book on and you want to empty your cassette might not produced the response from the site staff you might want! And of course it’s only during office hours, so after 09.00 and upto 18.00 ONLY please.
And my own comment. Please, pretty please, be aware of the weather when asking for a grass pitch! Be guided by the site staff when they tell you taking your 3.5 tonnes van on a field that’s had a few days torrential rain, has the potential for disaster for everyone. No site has the capability, staff experience or insurance liability to tow you off! And your insurance might not cover you. I’ve seen that happen btw. The number of motorhome owners who ignore advice on that is larger than you would think. It seems the “I’ve booked a grass pitch and I’m having it!” Mindset overrules common sense at times!
I think that’s clarified most points. Like I said it’s not a criticism of points raised just clarification.
Don’t have nightmares! 😉
A useful explanation, thank you.

C and cc and many independants need to heed the old saying ' don't bite the hand that feeds you '......many of the big hotel chains run regular user incentive schemes and you can get a hotel room with air conditioning for much less than these sites are asking for a single night, and of course the hotels have no 'two night minimum' impositions !

The easiest way to find the THSs and meets is on the "out & about" app. If you get the magazine posted to you ask for the out & about list to be sent with your mag. Myccc.co.uk/outandabout.
If you are a member of motorhomer.com there are also rallies on there.
I used the C&CC app on my phone. The magazine supplement as very handy but there was talk of discontinuing it at some point. We are no longer members so my info is probably out of date.

I have recently booked c&cc main sites for Cornwall in june. As I am a single senior I get a fantastic reduced rate which is hard to beat. I even got a special rate mid week for grass no electric.
Perhaps the cost of running the big motor homes is going to be a problem, especially when you include fuel rises.
The little Van's that don't have all the frills are becoming more desirable maybe??
Just spent two nights at the CC&C clubs site at Wolverly for 2 nights, one OAP and one adult rate for less than £20 pn on grass with electric. Spotless toilet facilities and very helpful cooperative staff. Nothing wrong with that! Should say though that I have been a club member for 45 years and have always thought of the club sites as being fair value.

C&MC - some interesting info this morning.... (NOTE: I'm talking about the C&MC here, not the C&CC !).

Bookings across the board are apparently down by at least 20%.

One site in particular currently only has 20 pitches occupied out of 90. :oops:
Another biggish site over on the North Yorks coast is virtually empty right now.

This is August, traditionally the height of the holiday season. In past years the sites would be pretty much fully booked up at this time of year.

Doesn't seem to be helping that all bookings now have to be done exclusively online.
Head office staff only available Mon-Fri, nobody to contact at the weekends if you have any problems with the online bookings, and site staff explicitly instructed to not answer the telephone to deal with bookings any more. Get out of that catch 22! 🙄🤷‍♀️

The current cold wind of economic downturn accompanied by the incessant and seemingly unstoppable push to making everything and everyone move online - regardless of how workable it is in certain circumstances - and increasing removal of any kind of "old-fashioned" human interface...

There seems to be an inability to join the business dots. But what for? To pursue "cost savings" or "streamline the business"?
Often seems to be at the expense of any kind of proper "customer service".

When my friends started working as wardens over 15 years ago there were only 40 head office staff.
There are now 450. I guess that's where most of their money must be going nowadays. Well, either there or into somebody else's back pocket...?

There used to be waiting lists of people eager to work on the sites. Now the C&MC are in the same boat as everyone else and are desperately short of willing site workers.

Is it just me being a grumpy old sod, or has the world now truly shifted to a level of disconnected insanity that none of have ever experienced before?

As I understand it it is illegal to resell electricity at a higher price. Is the rises in site fees an easy way for the sites to get round that law?

As I understand it it is illegal to resell electricity at a higher price. Is the rises in site fees an easy way for the sites to get round that law?

Could be.

Like most businesses in the current economic climate, they have all been screwed by the enormous rises in the price of "business" electricity.
Unlike private householders, there has been no "capping" to defend against this.

Most have no option but to increase the price for their services in whatever way they can: it's either that or go bust (many have already done so, or are doing so) 🤷‍♀️

They could easily charge a service fee to those wanting EHU .

There are other power costs involved apart from EHU. All of the lighting on site, power to the site offices and any warden's accommodation etc. etc.

Also the use of hot water for the showers and onsite washing facilities, which are available to everyone whether they're on hook up or not?

Probably other power required on site which I haven't thought about off the top of my head...

The underlying increase in the price of electricity for business use has been extraordinary.

Caravan Club, as it was back then, introduced the all inclusive pitch charges for everyone as a direct response to the law.

I'm quite surprised at that drop, hadn't thought the demographic who used C&MC where that badly affected by the current economic problems, seems I'm wrong. I know people I spoke to in Cornwall in June said bookings where down for more expensive holidays, and numbers were more like pre covid.

There are other power costs involved apart from EHU. All of the lighting on site, power to the site offices and any warden's accommodation etc. etc.

Also the use of hot water for the showers and onsite washing facilities, which are available to everyone whether they're on hook up or not?

Probably other power required on site which I haven't thought about off the top of my head...

The underlying increase in the price of electricity for business use has been extraordinary.
Yes, but it's the same for all site operators and they haven't raised their prices to the eye watering levels of the C&MC. If you read their Trustpilot reviews there's loads of people saying that indy sites are cheaper with better facilities and friendlier staff and that they won't be renewing membership.

We didn't renew last March and haven't missed the club sites.

BTW - 450 staff!! What do they all do?

C&MC - some interesting info this morning.... (NOTE: I'm talking about the C&MC here, not the C&CC !).

Another biggish site over on the North Yorks coast is virtually empty right now.

This is August, traditionally the height of the holiday season. In past years the sites would be pretty much fully booked up at this time of year.

Doesn't seem to be helping that all bookings now have to be done exclusively online.
Head office staff only available Mon-Fri, nobody to contact at the weekends if you have any problems with the online bookings, and site staff explicitly instructed to not answer the telephone to deal with bookings any more. Get out of that catch 22! 🙄🤷‍♀️

The current cold wind of economic downturn accompanied by the incessant and seemingly unstoppable push to making everything and everyone move online - regardless of how workable it is in certain circumstances - and increasing removal of any kind of "old-fashioned" human interface...

There seems to be an inability to join the business dots. But what for? To pursue "cost savings" or "streamline the business"?

When my friends started working as wardens over 15 years ago there were only 40 head office staff.
There are now 450. I guess that's where most of their money must be going nowadays. Well, either there or into somebody else's back pocket...?

There used to be waiting lists of people eager to work on the sites. Now the C&MC are in the same boat as everyone else and are desperately short of willing site workers.

Is it just me being a grumpy old sod, or has the world now truly shifted to a level of disconnected insanity that none of have ever experienced before?
Not surprised bookings are down for all the reasons mentioned but also because their new website is unusable and has been so all year.
They don't seem interested in putting it right and have stopped answering email complaints.
I now use search for sites in order to find c&MC cl sites as their website works!

And yes, so much stuff these days just doesn't function as it should and the customer is always guilty unless able to prove innocence!!

I had a neb on the Woolacombe north Devon c&MC site a week or so ago and if was half empty. There are not many motorhomes in Devon right now that's for sure. My theory is this though. I think most motorhomers would avoid Devon and Cornwall in the summer holidays unless they had no choice. Plenty of tents about though.

Yes, but it's the same for all site operators and they haven't raised their prices to the eye watering levels of the C&MC. If you read their Trustpilot reviews there's loads of people saying that indy sites are cheaper with better facilities and friendlier staff and that they won't be renewing membership.

We didn't renew last March and haven't missed the club sites.

BTW - 450 staff!! What do they all do?

Exactly! It's a mystery 🤷‍♀️

Probably exercising their recently acquired university degree knowledge to implement spiffing new ideas that all the old dinosaurs can't appreciate (cos we is all too fick!) :rolleyes: 😜 😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back