C&CC Price Rises

£20 for a basic CL with no hookup is taking the Pish I reckon. Been away since June mainly in Devon but also Wales and west Dorset and they have generally been £7-£12 with one very nice new one at £15. CLs with hookup seem to be generally £20-£30 but not needed one yet.
You can often find cheaper sites than CL/CS on Pitchup. It's ridiculous what some of them charge now.

My original point related comparisons between motorhomes and caravans which used to be the main users of campsites until recent years. Hence why many campsites are located wrongly for our use miles away from towns cities, and other attractions we would want to visit. Caravans can’t use many of the alternatives we can including Aires regardless of wether you pay or not. Therefore this ultimately affects numbers using campsites when alternatives not available to caravans are available to us.
All true especially the location situation. With very few and normally very expensive exceptions sites are not located within a reasonable walking distance to town of interest. CCC sites at Oxford and Canterbury are lowish priced exceptions to the norm. And then go and try and park your motorhome close to a town centre if you do need to drive in.

Those rowing or racecourses or rugby clubs that allow motorhomes to park up in their grounds for a nominal fee are worth seeking out and probably outnumber campsites close to towns. Examples are Hereford and Kenilworth.

Friends currently working for the C&CC tell me the fees are going up to £50 per night at the site where they are just now. :eek: :oops:

Apparently the electric bill is already around £300k per year, so I guess the increase in energy fees when they arrive later this year will soon be making an even bigger impact for everyone right across the board. 🤷‍♀️😟
Be brave! Go wild camping and avoid the charges…..it defrays the cost of diesel.

could the electric companies not allow metered power? and allow sites to charge for waht is used? ( I believe at the moment they are not allowed to do this as it is called re-selling something that technically doesn't belong to them!) I could be wrong, I often am but it would make sense surely? then the individual would/ could / should be charged for what they used?

could the electric companies not allow metered power? and allow sites to charge for waht is used? ( I believe at the moment they are not allowed to do this as it is called re-selling something that technically doesn't belong to them!) I could be wrong, I often am but it would make sense surely? then the individual would/ could / should be charged for what they used?
Happening a lot in Spain now and I think a fair way to go.

They do allow it. Several sites are now metering electricity. We stopped on a CL on the Isle of Wight earlier this year that has just started metering. We have also used a site in the Chilterns that has been metering for a number of years. The C&MC are now installing meters on some of their sites e.g. Wyatts Covert. Good idea I would rather pay for what I use and not be subsidising someone wasting electricity trying to heat an awning.

Charging for electric is allowed, but it cannot be charged at a higher price, but sites might have to pay more as commercial operations are not governed by the price cap, so you might have to pay more than at home.

You can often find cheaper sites than CL/CS on Pitchup. It's ridiculous what some of them charge now.

Not tried pitchup. Will have a look. There are still some cracking no frills CL and CS sites about but you have to hunt them down. The one we are on now is £7 a night.

Totally agree and OK for overnight stopovers but they can be in the middle of nowhere and off the beaten track so cost of fuel to make a diversion to get to the site has to be a consideration.

Make sure when searching on pitchup that you select “motorhome or camper van pitch” and then read the selected site footnotes. Many of the cheap ones accept camper vans but not motorhomes or have weight or length limits. Sloping grass sites in the wet are a disaster, grass sites open in winter can be a disaster, and there can be access difficulties so smaller vehicles only. I have been there, seen it, done it!!! :rolleyes::cry:

In fact for the darker 6 months of the year if the pitch is not a hard standing as far as I am concerned I move on. But we have a heavy and lengthy van over 8m so are used to making phone calls to pitchup sites to seek footnote clarifications.

And make sure you enter the correct number of people as some of the cheap sites don’t charge pitch fees but charge per person. This can make a cheap site for 1 person expensive for a family.

Last edited:
Not tried pitchup. Will have a look. There are still some cracking no frills CL and CS sites about but you have to hunt them down. The one we are on now is £7 a night.
Be aware the 15% deposit taken by PitchUp at the time of booking goes to PitchUp and none is passed to the site, so if you can booking direct is often better.

PitchUp is very popular and many sites feel obliged to be on there as so many people use it as their one search place for sites (especially as it’s free to search unlike apps /memberships that cost).

However it does mean a pitch occupied by a PitchUp booking is only 85% of the normal revenue to the site so direct bookings can be preferable

Just back from an overnight stay in the Holiday Inn Express in Leith.
Great room, comfortable bed, and good breakfast.
And all for £78. If we had not taken up the breakfast offer the price would have been £54. Decided not to bother with the C&MC site in Cromer last year when they wanted £46 a night for members, and for non members, wait for it……an eye watering £56, £2 more expensive a night, than a stay in a hotel 3 miles from the centre of Edinburgh, with the Royal Yacht Britannia and the historical port of Leith to tempt you.

Oh and it was unusually warm so the Aircon was on throughout our stay, we watched the tv, boiled their kettle, took a shower, ran their hot water, charged our phones, used their lighting, the cost of the leccy who knows, who cares. :)

IMG_6808.jpeg

Last edited:
As Fisherman mentioned CAMC site at Cromer thought I would try and book a week Saturday to Saturday in September and could not as full!

Same with Great Yarmouth.

A fool and their money as they say. CAMC are not about to reduce prices given that sites still fill up.

It does seem that most CAMC members are fixated on only using CAMC sites regardless of what they charge. Haven sites are the bargain places to use in this area if you want a bit of comfort and entertainment but CAMC members are blind to this.

I suspect a very small number viewing this thread are CAMC members as we are the cheap skate forum members who seek value!

Last edited:
Be aware the 15% deposit taken by PitchUp at the time of booking goes to PitchUp and none is passed to the site, so if you can booking direct is often better.

PitchUp is very popular and many sites feel obliged to be on there as so many people use it as their one search place for sites (especially as it’s free to search unlike apps /memberships that cost).

However it does mean a pitch occupied by a PitchUp booking is only 85% of the normal revenue to the site so direct bookings can be preferable

I had a look earlier on my phone and found a search by map facility but on the laptop now I cant find it. Doesnt seem as easy to use as search for sites.

No a cheap holiday !!! I have a Talbot motorhome and theres a member on the forum who takes great delight in boasting about a site he has found that’s £20 a night and includes hookup. He adds that he runs his 2kw fan heater almost all day …….. there’s your problem. Selfish ignorant people spoiling it for everyone else. Metering is the ONLY way to deal with this issue. We were away at the weekend and paid £8 on top for hook up for one night. We made toast and boiled say 4 kettles ? Total cost of electricity used I believe would have been no more than 50p possibly less. Simple profiteering. And paying £50 for anywhere is ridiculous.

As Fisherman mentioned CAMC site at Cromer thought I would try and book a week Saturday to Saturday in September and could not as full!

Same with Great Yarmouth.

A fool and their money as they say. CAMC are not about to reduce prices given that sites still fill up.

It does seem that most CAMC members are fixated on only using CAMC sites regardless of what they charge. Haven sites are the bargain places to use in this area if you want a bit of comfort and entertainment but CAMC members are blind to this.

I suspect a very small number viewing this thread are CAMC members as we are the cheap skate forum members who seek value!
There’s a 1940’s weekend on nearby sheringham and the C&CC sites are both full too, we’re on a CS nearby

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back