Advice on buying a motorhome private

Very funny you mad Feckwits!

The old rack is staying on the old van Kev. Its 16 years old and although still very much usable its never coming out of its housing without an angle grinder. Its a bit tatty now as well. The list of extras is gonna add up though. Racks are either £1395 or £1795 but I prefer the "cheaper" one, LPG will likely be a 21 litre tank kit fitted in the gas Locker by Autogas 2000 hopefully alongside a 6kg Calor, about £600, Cambelt around £500. Solar and new batteries? Anything from nothing if I leave it or transfer what I have to £3k if you read the threads on here. Plus whatever else comes up!

I wont be part ex'ing hank as this guy is not officially a dealer. I might mention it to him though. So I will be two vans Dobbo for a while. Really not sure what to do with the old bus. I think ill just advertise it warts and all for about £8500 and see what offers I get.

As for the rack, cutting it off isn't an issue as the new mountings will be different anyway as the chassis isn't the same, but it would be nice to have a shiny new one I suppose.

Mine has a Cam Chain so dunno about a belt for yours, if it needs one do a new tensioner etc, false economy not to.

I'd leave the solar/batteries side of it until you know more, just swap the controllers for now, David mentioned the cables but without seeing them hard to tell, some newer ones have their spec printed on them so check that out.

If you advertise it maybe say once owned by a rock god, or maybe keep it to yourself if you expect to sell it :D :D :D

Some SOLD Tikis
Useful to grab some of the wording.

I like this one, it has pull out drawers :D :D

As for the rack, cutting it off isn't an issue as the new mountings will be different anyway as the chassis isn't the same, but it would be nice to have a shiny new one I suppose.

Mine has a Cam Chain so dunno about a belt for yours, if it needs one do a new tensioner etc, false economy not to.

I'd leave the solar/batteries side of it until you know more, just swap the controllers for now, David mentioned the cables but without seeing them hard to tell, some newer ones have their spec printed on them so check that out.

If you advertise it maybe say once owned by a rock god, or maybe keep it to yourself if you expect to sell it :D :D :D

Some SOLD Tikis
Useful to grab some of the wording.

I like this one, it has pull out drawers :D :D

Those are the old shaped Kontiki's Kev. Mine is the very modern NEW shaped 1996 one with the very much sought after rear lounge! :D

More updates.

Van has been checked out by Mark my motorhome guy. Says its fine and also endorsed the guy who did the hab check in April.

Van has been weighed front and rear axles and the figures are brilliant. Ok so it was weighed with not much in it, half a tank of diesel and half a tank of water but I have tried several scenarios where I add up to 400kg extra stuff in the front and back and its still nowhere near close to the limit. The spreadsheet calculates the new load with the bike and rack on.

Van as it was with one driver

Even if I add an extra 200kg on the front and 200kg on the back this is the result. Nowhere near the limits of 2100kg on the front and 2400kg on the back. I would distribute as much weight forward as possible to get it balanced. Got it off to an art with the Kontiki.

My work here is done! :D

I am now officially excited but Michelle has put the dampers on it by refusing to go up later today and do the deal. To be fair we havent even been out in it yet or driven it. Im not bothered about driving it, maybe on a car park but I do think we should have a ride in it.

Jeeeesaz! Could this be it? After all these years. There is the haggling to be done of course.

Is he just playing devils advocate? do you need her with you to do deal? will she batter you if you go alone?

Stay tuned for tomorrows thrilling episode.

Just go haggle and buy it, I doubt very much doubt that you won't like the drive, chalk and cheese and I believe you like cheese.

Is he just playing devils advocate? do you need her with you to do deal? will she batter you if you go alone?

Stay tuned for tomorrows thrilling episode.

Just go haggle and buy it, I doubt very much doubt that you won't like the drive, chalk and cheese and I believe you like cheese.

Im working on it. I think we should go later today as we cant go tomorrow.

Might be worth checking what tyres/load rating are on it while you are doing your budgeting.

That's probably getting to the higher limit of what's available in MH tyres. If you are bothered about having Camper van tyres.

Might be worth checking what tyres/load rating are on it while you are doing your budgeting.

That's probably getting to the higher limit of what's available in MH tyres. If you are bothered about having Camper van tyres.
if it isn't running 15" rims it should be fine, my rear axle is 2400kg rated and I can only get Conti's with the load rating, if I changed to 16' rims there's lots of choice

Pretty sure they are 16" and will be rated to the axle rates but its a good point. They look good. :D

I think the recent service sheet showed the all as having 5-7mm of tread

I lost the battle for going today. Sometimes you need to know when to retreat. Im all excited now and Michelle is wobbling. :D

Wednesday afternoon agreed now.

I lost the battle for going today. Sometimes you need to know when to retreat. Im all excited now and Michelle is wobbling. :D

you have more control than me, once I knew it would do what I wanted I would have to close a deal or walk away for good lol

you have more control than me, once I knew it would do what I wanted I would have to close a deal or walk away for good lol

Yep. I am chewing at the bit now. Women! Guy seems quite chilled about doing Wednesday though. Makes us look a bit less keen maybe. :D

May be worth a look at their pro range while you are considering new batteries.
l believe the main difference with the pro range is that the BMS on the pro is 300 whereas on the standard it’s 200 so you can draw more

We need to buy you a litter tray for your birthday, that's if Michelle okays it of course :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Too harsh?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:213)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Ian McMillan, Palette, Owlhouse, Val54, Adriafan, Blackdog,
Back