Advice on buying a motorhome private

I'm not convinced yet about the Lithium type LBs we only have 85w solar and a 100ah battery and it never drops below 12.4 even when I'm charging stuff up with USB and the inverter for the scooter, laptop and Dyson V6 Vacuum, so I guess we are very low users of 12v compared to the rest of you chaps.

You also move on every day Kev so you wont get a true indication of how long you could off grid. That said we only have a single 100w panel and 120 ah AGM battery but this time of year we can stay in one place indefinitely. That last trip of 17 days even after a couple of crappy days it never dropped below 12.4. Normally at the end of the night its 12.5-12.7. I do fret about it a bit if there is a lot of crap weather or towards the end of the summer. April to mid August though it performs really well.

I have 2 x 6v (240ah) Trojan T125's Barry which are 30kg each. They are wired in Series to get 12V but the AH stays the same ie. 240 not 480.

Just had a quick look at this one;

The Trojans are (L)262 x (W)181 x (H)281

The Fogstar is (L)640 x (W)245 x (H)220 and is 50kg which I reckon I could handle albeit at a struggle.

Thats colossal! It would be overkill for us I think. 50kg is flipping heavy Rob. Still less than your two current ones though.

I'm not convinced yet about the Lithium type LBs we only have 85w solar and a 100ah battery and it never drops below 12.4 even when I'm charging stuff up with USB and the inverter for the scooter, laptop and Dyson V6 Vacuum, so I guess we are very low users of 12v compared to the rest of you chaps.

Yeah but you've got candles and a wind up gramophone in yours Kev.

Last edited:
Thats colossal! It would be overkill for us I think. 50kg is flipping heavy Rob. Still less than your two current ones though.

Yeah it would be overkill for us too Barry.

This one would suit us and only 38kg so not much heavier than one of my Trojans;

Yeah but you've got candles and a wind up gramophone in yours Kev.
We don't use the lights much, we took the bathroom LEDs out as the control panel seemed to just turn them on and off on it's own, and we tried three different new ones too, there is a small LED strip over the kitchen which we rarely use, and we hardly ever use more than one lamp in the back even in winter, no TV, Radio is disconnected now, (the awful noise stopped too) so as said low users.

I get that some like to have all the home comforts, and why not, we just prefer to rough it a bit when away, makes it more better for us if we have to do things differently, we do most things very differently than at home, we both read a lot, we play cards, watch different stuff on the tablets, stuff ourselves with stuff we shouldn't and don't at home.

Back to Barry's new Van.

that’s the one i have rob and though it’s a fair lump it’s lighter than the 180 lead carbon i had before of course another big plus of the lithiums is you can fit them on their side etc

We don't use the lights much, we took the bathroom LEDs out as the control panel seemed to just turn them on and off on it's own, and we tried three different new ones too, there is a small LED strip over the kitchen which we rarely use, and we hardly ever use more than one lamp in the back even in winter, no TV, Radio is disconnected now, (the awful noise stopped too) so as said low users.

I get that some like to have all the home comforts, and why not, we just prefer to rough it a bit when away, makes it more better for us if we have to do things differently, we do most things very differently than at home, we both read a lot, we play cards, watch different stuff on the tablets, stuff ourselves with stuff we shouldn't and don't at home.

Back to Barry's new Van.

I'm like that Kev but Julie do like her comforts - especially watching TV whilst I'm in the pub, and she reads a lot either in bed or on the seating so she needs decent lighting for that.

The fridge is the main consumer but we've never struggled with it whilst we've had the Trojans even with only 100w of Solar, and it is a brilliant fridge.

I'm looking at lithium but haven't decided definitely yet. We will be upping our Solar capacity though.

Last edited:
I'm like that Barry but Julie do like her comforts - especially watching TV whilst I'm in the pub, and she reads a lot either in bed or on the seating so she needs decent lighting for that.

The fridge is the main consumer but we've never struggled with it whilst we've had the Trojans even with only 100w of Solar, and it is a brilliant fridge.

I'm looking at lithium but haven't decided definitely yet. We will be upping our Solar capacity though.
BARRY???

that’s the one i have rob and though it’s a fair lump it’s lighter than the 180 lead carbon i had before of course another big plus of the lithiums is you can fit them on their side etc

I see they come with a JBD BMS as well Ken along with 5% discount through WC - tempting.

Good point about fitting on their side as well.

I see they come with a JBD BMS as well Ken along with 5% discount through WC - tempting.

Good point about fitting on their side as well.
May be worth a look at their pro range while you are considering new batteries.

I went for the standard range, a mate fitted the Pro option. I have no idea what the differences are but he tells me his is better.
I'm not sure what better means when we are talking about the amount of power we didn't even dream of only a few years ago.

Things are moving faster than I can keep up with here. Van is hopefully being weighed today and being taken to my Motorhome guy to give it the once over. Waiting on the Garage thats done the servicing to come back to me as they are checking their records and Just spoken to Armitage Trailers who are checking on the possibilities of fitting the rack.

Its doing my head in and I just want it to be over. 😬

May be worth a look at their pro range while you are considering new batteries.

I went for the standard range, a mate fitted the Pro option. I have no idea what the differences are but he tells me his is better.
I'm not sure what better means when we are talking about the amount of power we didn't even dream of only a few years ago.

I saw those Mark but I don't want to spend more than I have to if I won't be using it to it's full potential.

Can I ask what controller you use?

Things are moving faster than I can keep up with here. Van is hopefully being weighed today and being taken to my Motorhome guy to give it the once over. Waiting on the Garage thats done the servicing to come back to me as they are checking their records and Just spoken to Armitage Trailers who are checking on the possibilities of fitting the rack.

Very stressful times Barry.

You'll need a holiday when it's over!

What a bloody wimp Barry, you should both be really excited, Liz and I loved this bit, more so if the van was POS as I'd get to have stuff to do and we could get ready preparing it for sale, although in reality we always kept them to use a for a few months or so until Spring, we liked to do two a year, great fund and steep learning curve.

What a bloody wimp Barry, you should both be really excited, Liz and I loved this bit, more so if the van was POS as I'd get to have stuff to do and we could get ready preparing it for sale, although in reality we always kept them to use a for a few months or so until Spring, we liked to do two a year, great fund and steep learning curve.

I hate it Kev. I know a fair bit about weights and racks but when it comes to all the other stuff, mechanical etc and all the mod cons in a modern motorhome I havent got a flipping clue. There is so much to get right and it does my head in. Moving house is less stressful. Michelle says I am overthinking it all but fail to prepare, prepare to fail an all that. :D

Spoke to Croxdales (garage) just now who have been servicing it and I have the full service record (its the same stuff I took pictures of yesterday). There is a gap of services between 2019 and 2022 but it did hardly any miles. I'm guessing pandemic. No evidence of a cambelt so Im factoring in £500 for that.

Just got off the phone to Armitage and they reckon there should be no problem fitting the rack to that van and if I take the tow bar off I can have the old style rack like the one we have now and not the new one which is more expensive and looks (to me more complicated). He reckoned the overhang wont be a problem on a van of that capacity.

All I need now is the figures from the weighbridge, Mark to give it a onceover and we could be striking a deal.

I think it took less time for NASA to achieve the moon landings. :D

I hate it Kev. I know a fair bit about weights and racks but when it comes to all the other stuff, mechanical etc and all the mod cons in a modern motorhome I havent got a flipping clue. There is so much to get right and it does my head in. Moving house is less stressful. Michelle says I am overthinking it all but fail to prepare, prepare to fail an all that. :D

Spoke to Croxdales (garage) just now who have been servicing it and I have the full service record (its the same stuff I took pictures of yesterday). There is a gap of services between 2019 and 2022 but it did hardly any miles. I'm guessing pandemic. No evidence of a cambelt so Im factoring in £500 for that.

Just got off the phone to Armitage and they reckon there should be no problem fitting the rack to that van and if I take the tow bar off I can have the old style rack like the one we have now and not the new one which is more expensive and looks (to me more complicated). He reckoned the overhang wont be a problem on a van of that capacity.

All I need now is the figures from the weighbridge, Mark to give it a onceover and we could be striking a deal.

I think it took less time for NASA to achieve the moon landings. :D

Thanks for all the info and research Barry.

I've just nipped in and bought it. :LOL:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:213)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Ian McMillan, Palette, Owlhouse, Val54, Adriafan, Blackdog,
Back