Advice on buying a motorhome private

I have Remis blinds and they do close around the mirror even with the monitor attached, there should be a cutout for the mirror mount anyway you just twist the mirror each way to close the blinds, no biggy just a tiny PITA till you get used to it
Depends how the camera screen is mounted. If it is velcroed to the mirror, no problem, But if it is on its own mount, then Barry is right - you cannot close the blinds as you cannot fit the mount centrally to clear the blind cutout as the mirrow attachment adhered to the windscreen stops that.

Thanks Kev. the only thing thats annoying with that reversing camera is the bloody blinds wont shut around it!! I think you would need a kind of clip or something to hold them together. Not concerned about that.
I got annoyed with that and in the end I just bought a standard Ducato rear-view mirror just to get the arm. Removed the actual mirror itself and attached the Sat-Nav/Rear Camera Monitor to the end of the arm. Probably one of the best and most convenient mods I have done in the Motorhome. Blinds close around it no hassles now :)

Panel looks like 100w to me, not sure about the controller, if it works it'll do for a while easy retrofit for an decent MPPT 3 (swap the one you have in hank for it) add a matching battery if the dates agree with it being new ish.
100-120W Panel I would agree.
Controller is pretty typical of a standard fit. nothing special PWM one.
Yes you could physically fit an MPPT in the current controllers place but not an easy retrofit in terms of cables. The cable to the battery would be rather undersized if the solar on the roof was increased (it looks like 1mm or 1.5mm?).

100-120W Panel I would agree.
Controller is pretty typical of a standard fit. nothing special PWM one.
Yes you could physically fit an MPPT in the current controllers place but not an easy retrofit in terms of cables. The cable to the battery would be rather undersized if the solar on the roof was increased (it looks like 1mm or 1.5mm?).

Do you think though I could easily swap out my PCM2012 I currently have in the van? Its been fantastic. Getting on a bit now but I seem to remember everyone was buying them on here about ten years or so ago. That would pretty much replicate what we have now. That battery though is a single cheap 110 I think. I think from the paperwork it was installed last year, probably to replace the two original batteries supplied by swift. If my AGM 120 I got a couple of years ago would fit in there I might well swap that as well. Fitting the PCM2012 would be good though as it shows me the charge and all sorts of other stuff and has a load socket I can run a four bank of 12v sockets off.

Do you think though I could easily swap out my PCM2012 I currently have in the van? Its been fantastic. Getting on a bit now but I seem to remember everyone was buying them on here about ten years or so ago. That would pretty much replicate what we have now. That battery though is a single cheap 110 I think. I think from the paperwork it was installed last year, probably to replace the two original batteries supplied by swift. If my AGM 120 I got a couple of years ago would fit in there I might well swap that as well. Fitting the PCM2012 would be good though as it shows me the charge and all sorts of other stuff and has a load socket I can run a four bank of 12v sockets off.

only take you to 200W though. If that is enough, why not swap over (y)

only take you to 200W though. If that is enough, why not swap over (y)

I think that would be enough. We have a single 100w pane and 120 agm at the moment and it works for us throughout summer. I go looking for hookup come mid September. Its just a stopgap. I think ultimately I would like to put two 100 or 110 Lithium in that battery box and 200w of solar on the roof. This is the space we have to play with I guess. Thats an "Energy Leisure XL110". Never heard of it. Bet its crap.

Looks like room for a pair of G19/Group 19 batteries end to end there. I would take careful note of the available height in that box - that looks to be the limiting factor as the 100Ah batteries tend to be similar length and width, but the height is higher than most lead acid as that is often the BMS modules are placed on top in the casing.

I expect to be selling a pair of 100AH LiFePO4s in September and I might even throw in a B2B :)

Looks like room for a pair of G19/Group 19 batteries end to end there. I would take careful note of the available height in that box - that looks to be the limiting factor as the 100Ah batteries tend to be similar length and width, but the height is higher than most lead acid as that is often the BMS modules are placed on top in the casing.

I expect to be selling a pair of 100AH LiFePO4s in September and I might even throw in a B2B :)

Hmm. Interesting. This is a closer view. There is a bit of space at the top. Will have to measure up properly. Cant find any info on that XL110 battery or its size

Hmm. Interesting. This is a closer view. There is a bit of space at the top. Will have to measure up properly. Cant find any info on that XL110 battery or its size

I'm also looking into Lithiums Barry but know very little about them. Is there any advantage of having 2 x 100ah batteries over 1 x 200ah - or even 1 x 400ah come to that?

I'm also looking into Lithiums Barry but know very little about them. Is there any advantage of having 2 x 100ah batteries over 1 x 200ah - or even 1 x 400ah come to that?

Don't really know. I would think size might be one advantage in that van as its limited to what will go in that box. I would rather have one big one than two little ones. Just seems easier to configure perhaps. Following the other thread it would seem you have to invest in a lot of other stuff also. Possibly. No idea what this 2015 swift is capable of supporting. I read that the charging unit on their 2018 models had a lithium option but not sure about this one. If I can get my current 120ah AGM in there and my current MPPT controller I reckon that will do for this summer.

general logic is that two individual batteries give you built in back up if one fails also each battery has a built in BMS controlling output etc , there are companies that will tailor make a lithium battery to fit in your recess thus maximising storage
That, and might be easier to fit and move about 2 smaller batteries. Big lithiums are still 40 or 50 KG plus.
I got two, just because I liked it so much I got another.

There are always pros and cons to singles Vs multiples....

Positioning. Barry would not find a single battery to fully fill that space. A pair would do the trick perfectly. Multiples give you flexibility and options.
Redundancy. If one fails, still have power albeit reduced
Ease of install. Once you get to a certain size it can be extremely hard to physically move them. Especially so for lead-acid
Load sharing. Less critical with newer Lithiums, but the BMS can be a limiting factor. Many 200aH Lithiums were fitted with a 100A BMS so inverter use was 1000W max generally. Double the battery count, double the permissible current.
Cost. Two batteries will typically be more expensive than a single one of the combined size.
Cabling. More needed if multiples, so more cost.

And no doubt others.

There are always pros and cons to singles Vs multiples....

Positioning. Barry would not find a single battery to fully fill that space. A pair would do the trick perfectly. Multiples give you flexibility and options.
Redundancy. If one fails, still have power albeit reduced
Ease of install. Once you get to a certain size it can be extremely hard to physically move them. Especially so for lead-acid
Load sharing. Less critical with newer Lithiums, but the BMS can be a limiting factor. Many 200aH Lithiums were fitted with a 100A BMS so inverter use was 1000W max generally. Double the battery count, double the permissible current.
Cost. Two batteries will typically be more expensive than a single one of the combined size.
Cabling. More needed if multiples, so more cost.

And no doubt others.

Are Lithium batteries not smaller in physical size as well as lighter though than normal lead acid?

Are Lithium batteries not smaller in physical size as well as lighter though than normal lead acid?

I thought so Barry but obviously a 200ah would be big and heavy to manhandle. That wouldn't bother me to be honest as you don't need to move them very often once installed.

I'm also prepared to go risk not having the backup of a secondary battery. It's not the end of the world to me if we lost power as we do have backups for that (lights, 12/240v coolbox etc) as I said in another post, left to me I wouldn't have batteries at all - but of course it's not left to me!

I may just take some measurements of my battery box and see what I can accommodate. :)

Ah per Ah, much smaller and lighter. My 300 Ah is very similar in size and weight to my old 95 ah lead acid. It's still 26 Kg though, and a 600 Ah is pushing 50 Kg.
Had 3 x 95's before, now 2 x 300

Ah per Ah, much smaller and lighter. My 300 Ah is very similar in size and weight to my old 95 ah lead acid. It's still 26 Kg though, and a 600 Ah is pushing 50 Kg.
Had 3 x 95's before, now 2 x 300

How long can you be off grid and static with 600ah Mark and how much solar?

I thought so Barry but obviously a 200ah would be big and heavy to manhandle. That wouldn't bother me to be honest as you don't need to move them very often once installed.

I'm also prepared to go risk not having the backup of a secondary battery. It's not the end of the world to me if we lost power as we do have backups for that (lights, 12/240v coolbox etc) as I said in another post, left to me I wouldn't have batteries at all - but of course it's not left to me!

I may just take some measurements of my battery box and see what I can accommodate. :)

As Mark says above they are a lot lighter. This is just a random 200ah one I googled and its 21kg. I think thats less than a 110ah lead battery. https://uk.renogy.com/core-12v-24v-48v-200ah-deep-cycle-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery/

How long can you be off grid and static with 600ah Mark and how much solar?

Would depend on how much I used the induction hob, but if used for the odd cuppa then mainly cooking on gas, I'd never have to move. That's with 310W solar

Not sure about winter, but lets say no solar and my current average consumption probably 20 days. No use of induction hob though. If I've worked it out right.

Only have a few LED's a compressor fridge and for charging devices.

As Mark says above they are a lot lighter. This is just a random 200ah one I googled and its 21kg. I think thats less than a 110ah lead battery. https://uk.renogy.com/core-12v-24v-48v-200ah-deep-cycle-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery/

I have 2 x 6v (240ah) Trojan T125's Barry which are 30kg each. They are wired in Series to get 12V but the AH stays the same ie. 240 not 480.

Just had a quick look at this one;

The Trojans are (L)262 x (W)181 x (H)281

The Fogstar is (L)640 x (W)245 x (H)220 and is 50kg which I reckon I could handle albeit at a struggle.

I'm not convinced yet about the Lithium type LBs we only have 85w solar and a 100ah battery and it never drops below 12.4 even when I'm charging stuff up with USB and the inverter for the scooter, laptop and Dyson V6 Vacuum, so I guess we are very low users of 12v compared to the rest of you chaps.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:209)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax, WingNut, petermotorhome, swedenut, Texastom, chrisvs57, bartman, reiverlad, Kennymac, Gadabout2, 1 Cup, Quiddle, gasgas, Lee, Hagg3066, ScarletPimple, davidjlambert, Glandwr, Ian McMillan, Palette,
Back