Advice on buying a motorhome private

That’s the same set up for gas I have in my van Barry.
The duo system means you get auto changeover when a cylinder empties the indicator at the top changes from green to red to let you know the cylinder is empty, and the system automatically starts to take gas from the other cylinder. You then simply rotate the large knob in the centre towards the other cylinder and the indicator then changes back to green.
I have found on some occasions the green crash sensor switch in the centre pops out. You simply press it back in again to get your supply back.
I don’t travel with my gas on, even though it’s supposed to be safe to do so.
Really good set up.

That’s the same set up for gas I have in my van Barry.
The duo system means you get auto changeover when a cylinder empties the indicator at the top changes from green to red to let you know the cylinder is empty, and the system automatically starts to take gas from the other cylinder. You then simply rotate the large knob in the centre towards the other cylinder and the indicator then changes back to green.
I have found on some occasions the green crash sensor switch in the centre pops out. You simply press it back in again to get your supply back.
I don’t travel with my gas on, even though it’s supposed to be safe to do so.
Really good set up.
I've only had a couple of vans with an auto changeover, and whilst a good idea, with the gaslow/calor setup I much prefer to switch manually, the only time you need to know is if the oven is on, the fridge will tell you but the oven needs to be hot.

I might add that pic is off the same van we looked at in 2022 not the one I am seeing tomorrow but maybe its standard. Don't know.

I've only had a couple of vans with an auto changeover, and whilst a good idea, with the gaslow/calor setup I much prefer to switch manually, the only time you need to know is if the oven is on, the fridge will tell you but the oven needs to be hot.
I lost count of the amount of times I had to switch over with the gas running out in winter using the gas boiler Kev. Or mid cooking a meal. As for the fridge I remember well heading out one summers night on Arran to change over after the fridge light came on, only to get eaten alive by midges.

I lost count of the amount of times I had to switch over with the gas running out in winter using the gas boiler Kev. Or mid cooking a meal. As for the fridge I remember well heading out one summers night on Arran to change over after the fridge light came on, only to get eaten alive by midges.
It's just the way we've always done it, and the oven has only gone off once in 15 years, the fridge has woken us up with the igniter clicking but I just leave it until we need to have a cuppa, then change it over, for this van I don't have a change over switch so I have to get the spanner on the job so I make sure we keep topped up at least once a week twice in winter, we rarely run the heating, maybe an hour to warm the van up on a really cold night, it seems well insulated

Thanks for the further replies. Yep I know you need to get on with it but I do need to do a lot of due diligence and checking. I not only need to establish that this van and the seller are genuine I also need to for belts and braces get it weighed if possible and measured up for the scooter rack as well as possibly get it looked over by my motorhome repair guy. So its almost definitely going to involve a second visit. Will see how much resistance to all that we come up against tomorrow. Its likely this van will be kept as long as the current one (16 years). I want to get it right. I'm dreading the whole thing to be honest. I would rather move house.

I tend to rush in Barry, whereas Julie is a lot more cautious. We have missed out on sales of various things in the past due to this and Julie always says "Oh well, perhaps it just wasn't meant to be".

This of course infuriates me at the time and I throw a couple of tantrums and quiver me bottom lip a bit. But then I realise she was right and invariably a better deal comes along and I then have to convince her that it was my idea to hold off in the first place. :)

Take your time, it's a huge amount of money to get it wrong.

You’ll be able to transfer all the money in one transaction by talking to your bank, most likely via email or app. BUT YOU MUST transfer £1 first and get the seller to confirm they received the £1 BEFORE you transfer the whole payment.

This way your bank and theirs will not hold up the payment under due diligence regulations and you will have proof of payment
Hence i just swap mattress, keep away from banks.

I tend to rush in Barry, whereas Julie is a lot more cautious. We have missed out on sales of various things in the past due to this and Julie always says "Oh well, perhaps it just wasn't meant to be".

This of course infuriates me at the time and I throw a couple of tantrums and quiver me bottom lip a bit. But then I realise she was right and invariably a better deal comes along and I then have to convince her that it was my idea to hold off in the first place. :)

Take your time, it's a huge amount of money to get it wrong.

Michelle really isn't that interested. I think she wants to believe Hank the Tank would go on forever but its already the reason I wont take it abroad anymore. On the one hand I wish it really would go on forever as its been a fantastic van and its like an old leather glove now and I know every inch of it and all its quirks. This new van is quite possibly the last option I have if I want to keep the same layout and take the bike on a rack and they are like hens teeth so one on my doorstep is a bit of a rare opportunity. Lets hope it all works out tomorrow but if I am in any doubt about the van or the perhaps more so the seller ill walk away.

Contacted AIB this morning regarding annual servicing of gas system in our Motorhome. (See my post #19)
Now this is important for anyone with a self build.
Section 24 only applies to privately converted motorhomes, not professionally built vans. If I owned a self built van I would check my insurance.
Thats me in the sh-t, they never said this when i went with them many years back, i detest hidden clauses & trickey specilly when i cant read or write.

Thats me in the sh-t, they never said this when i went with them many years back, i detest hidden clauses & trickey specilly when i cant read or write.
From what I gather Trev, most if not all insurers are the same. They’re concerned about gas work being done by unqualified people.

It’s a shame you won’t be able to read this, and now I can say what I like about you on here without any comeback :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously Trev I think this needs to be highlighted on here for all of those with self builds.

There is gas regulations for motorhomes/campervans but for private use anyone can/should follow it (I think)
Though for hire and reward it needs a gas safe engineer to sign it off .
Though you must follow the BS EN 1949:2021 regulations ..so the gas safety search says...perhaps someone with a self build could say more.
There's a lot of duff answers out there.
I remember around 15 years ago there was nothing when I thought of building one...

From what I gather Trev, most if not all insurers are the same. They’re concerned about gas work being done by unqualified people.

It’s a shame you won’t be able to read this, and now I can say what I like about you on here without any comeback :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously Trev I think this needs to be highlighted on here for all of those with self builds.
It needs to be put on here.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:190)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax,
Back