Advice on buying a motorhome private

Just read through my AIB insurance Rob, and section 24 reads

24. Loss or damage resulting from fire or explosion in connection with the on-board domestic gas supply to
privately converted motorhomes where the supply is not fitted or serviced in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations
ERS Motorhome – MH 012

I will contact AIB for clarification here. But it appears you are correct Rob.

I note the words privately converted, that has many meanings.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ferk id better look that section up.

To be fair, on our travels we have met quite a few folk that have bought a van and found the layout didn't work for them, or it was too big, or too small or too something else, so they have gotten rid fairly sharpish.
We bought brand new ,6 months later realised it was not the lay out we needed .Good Luck ,there are some honest people around and don't dilly dally I'm sure if it's a bargain it won't be up for sale for too long .Good Luck

Is it worth taking a multi meter with you so you can check the state of the habitation (and vehicle maybe) batteries?

As Liz mentioned, don’t dilly dally, Barry.

Ten year ago come this August, I saw an ad for our current MH, it was a garage in Fife selling mostly cars, and started dabbling with MH’s. When I went to view, I had to make a decision there and then, deposit paid.

I’ve had some minor issues hab side, which I fixed myself, mechanically, no issues, thankfully 🤞 and just returned home after 4000 mile round trip.

When I returned to pick up MH, the salesman said they reckon they could have sold MH ten times, as there was so much interest.

Gut instinct, yes, then you have pay the money and take your chances. Finally, if you ain’t fast, your last!!

👍

Last edited:
Already mentioned, but the MOT history check is vital, to see how well it's been mechanically looked after over the last 9 years, and it's easy on the DVLA website

As Liz mentioned, don’t dilly dally, Barry.

Ten year ago come this August, I saw an ad for our current MH, it was a garage in Fife selling mostly cars, and started dabbling with MH’s. When I went to view, I had to make a decision there and then.

I’ve had some minor issues hab side, which I fixed myself, mechanically, no issues, thankfully 🤞 and just returned home after 4000 mile round trip.

When I returned to pick up MH, the salesman said they reckon they could have sold MH ten times, as there was so much interest.

Gut instinct, yes, then you have pay the money and take your chances. Finally, if you ain’t fast, your last!!

👍
You're so very right, snooze you lose, I'd have been to see it the same day Terry, sometimes you can be tooooo laid back, it's the middle of summer long days, and no one is that busy.

Good point on the max transfer. I suppose we could do a two pronged attack from two different accounts.
You can do it from the same account.
Or like has been said from a business account.( I no longer have one so not up to date on them)
good luck with the purchase.
Don't forget once you press send you can't stop it.

It certainly gave me peace of mind getting it checked. But how often should I get it checked over again? A question for the insurance company I guess.

My next boat will be gas free. Not strictly true as I will carry a portable camping stove but I don't want a gas system on a boat, you can't really put drop out vents in the bottom!

If you're worried about water getting in through the drop out vent, just put a drain outlet in the bottom of the bilge.

Thanks for the further replies. Yep I know you need to get on with it but I do need to do a lot of due diligence and checking. I not only need to establish that this van and the seller are genuine I also need to for belts and braces get it weighed if possible and measured up for the scooter rack as well as possibly get it looked over by my motorhome repair guy. So its almost definitely going to involve a second visit. Will see how much resistance to all that we come up against tomorrow. Its likely this van will be kept as long as the current one (16 years). I want to get it right. I'm dreading the whole thing to be honest. I would rather move house.

You can do all that crap if you buy it, no good doing all the work if it sells to someone who got off their fat harris.

This is the way to go.
Though most banks only allow £20k at a time..with lloyds you can do £25.
When I bought one privately we went to the sellers bank and did the transfer there with the Wife staying in the motorhome at their house. You can not recall a transfer any more so it's safe for the seller.
Yes, I had that problem when I bought this house, crazy when you are actually in Theban with plenty proof of identity but they still won't do it

You can do all that crap if you buy it, no good doing all the work if it sells to someone who got off their fat harris.

Well not really. If it turns out its not got enough weight on the back end for the scooter and rack im stuffed. I suspect it will have though going on the payload. Probably still worth getting it checked over as well by Mark my motorhome guy although if it has a recent hab check which I think it has that might not be needed.

Yes all true but you need to have been and seen if it is even what you like when you're in front of one before wasting time on a van you may not like, and as you've been searching for one of two vans for a VERY long time all the physical check stuff should have been done already so you can pounce when one does show up.

Mess about too long and the seller may just not want to sell to you at all, if it is what you want then get a couple of hundred quid down as a deposit.

I'm keen for you to get Hank 11 but I've lost a few good vans due to Lizs farting about making sure it's a goer.

Yes all true but you need to have been and seen if it is even what you like when you're in front of one before wasting time on a van you may not like, and as you've been searching for one of two vans for a VERY long time all the physical check stuff should have been done already so you can pounce when one does show up.

Mess about too long and the seller may just not want to sell to you at all, if it is what you want then get a couple of hundred quid down as a deposit.

I'm keen for you to get Hank 11 but I've lost a few good vans due to Lizs farting about making sure it's a goer.

We have seen one before remember. Couple of years ago. I lost that one because the dealer wouldn't answer my questions and i wanted it weighing. The market was in a frenzy then though. I think it had just come in and I got the heads up on FB from the previous owner, it was sold within a week. It ticked most of our boxes though and I have done all the homework on it but the only thing I have never done is weigh one. I was in touch with the previous owner of the one we missed out on and when he got it weighed with all his gear in and he had 750kg left of the 950kg payload but he just weighed the whole van and not each axle also which is the important bit for scooter racks. I would guess though that it would be well within the limits unless there is something seriously wrong with the balance. The two leisure batteries are sadly at the back and its got a fair overhang considering its on an Alko extended chassis.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

The batteries can be moved to the dining area if there is the space, just need some larger cables and a means to keep them from moving, so that will help, with the back axle.

Most people are reasonable and if you explain that you need to put a rack on for a scooter unless they KNOW it's heavy there is no reason not to have it weighed, and do pay for the chit, it's handy to have proof of the ULW and you won't have a chance again most likely.

The batteries can be moved to the dining area if there is the space, just need some larger cables and a means to keep them from moving, so that will help, with the back axle.

Most people are reasonable and if you explain that you need to put a rack on for a scooter unless they KNOW it's heavy there is no reason not to have it weighed, and do pay for the chit, it's handy to have proof of the ULW and you won't have a chance again most likely.

It could be of course that Swift put them there to balance it out. I seem to remember Brian Kirby on OAL mentioning that rear lounge vans are a bit light on the back end. That could work in our favour of course.

The only other downside on this van is the gas locker only takes 2 x 6kg Calor bottles. Our current one has an 11kg Gaslow and a 6kg Calor backup. Would have preferred to keep that set up but its not a deal breaker. Ill just go for a single 6kg Gaslow and 6kg Calor.

Ours only takes 2 x 6kg, but it's high enough up I could lower the floor to take a 11+ 6kg, but of course you are a stinking rich rock elf, you could get a tank fitted and use the locker for storage.

Ours only takes 2 x 6kg, but it's high enough up I could lower the floor to take a 11+ 6kg, but of course you are a stinking rich rock elf, you could get a tank fitted and use the locker for storage.

I had a long discussion about this with Autogas 2000 in Thirsk. He reckoned I might get an 11kg tank kit inside the locker alongside a 6kg Calor. Either that or fit an underslung LPG tank or 1 x 6kg Gaslow and 1 x 6kg Calor. Im not keen to spend a fortune on an underslung tank the way things are going with LPG.

This is the Esprit gas locker

That's what we run 1 x 6kg Gaslow and 1 x 6kg Calor, not needed more than 4 fillups this 6 week trip of around 4 litres each time so a long way from running out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:190)

JVG, mark61, Pudsey Bear, pamjon, jacquigem, RichardHelen262, jeanette, caledonia, Wully, longtoedsloth, Jo001, Charlynch, oppy, runnach, Bigshug, Robmac, maingate, cooperman, r4dent, campervanannie, mistericeman, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, Fisherman, lthoel2, rugbyken, ajb70, izwozral, Scotia, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Steve and Julie, Alberto, wildebus, Rod, colinm, yorkslass, korky, Drover, number14, andyjanet, Duetto 1999, Bouydog, NSY, AllanD, TJBi, RSD7a, jann, Boris7, Topmast, kingfisher1, GeoffL, Gerry Attrick, timatabsa, Tim120, hmssnake, trevskoda, guerdeval, ton27, tobym, stonedaddy, GinaRon, liz, Wooie1958, BigEus, ricc, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, hamsterberg27, Neckender, Dezi, marchie, davep10000, Heppy, exwindsurfer, ewen, Norfolk NewBoy, chrishunter, zzr1400tim, ironman, Murgzie, Tezza33, Gerti58, molly 2, yeoblade, merl, Fazerloz, alanfleming, Glass man, Obanboy666, Martin P, Lioncrunch, DTF, Dowel, 1807truckman, mrlobby, iampatman, Outdoors Dad, Sharon the Cat, n brown, cornish hymer, Mandoman, tripper, shortcircuit, helmit, maxsdad, Millie Master, neildent, 2cv, glekay, Cass, kensowerby, HurricaneSmith, flying kipper, marsden, Andys, SquirrellCook, dtdunn, REC, Gasdave, V1nny, guym3, VandA, Tapfitter, dannyktm, Divine Right, BigD003, Ellendale, BM48, eriksleden, Magsw, Mick H, vtwinner, davef, Minky, horace, roady987, jas900, tribute11, in it for fun, Moocher, Sheila Bryant, Motoroamer, iris dement, Tim1953, mrs t, Tarmacapache, Daz65, Yolo, SApril, Thistle, Elfit, knowledgeseeker, Lib, 2Coops, Nickrock, Sue Paskins, TeamPuffin, Nomad Nelly, Rutaria, Mikekilbride, Rolyan57, Mobilvetta, David Glassford, noah and nelly, Bubble, Mikecoo, Rupert, Jiwawa, campingfun, TCall, Gingersgirl, gettingolder2, WalesGraham, coundonroad, G and T, kwil69, Wardy73, bnb080, GWAYGWAY, barrypat, Hamewilldaeme, Richard Surgey, Hornet49, alcam, Firefox, Goofer, Carrerasax,
Back